Author Topic: ignition violin bass intonation  (Read 865 times)

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
ignition violin bass intonation
« on: September 03, 2020, 10:43:31 am »
 I trying to set the intonation on my ignition violin bass
For a ball park setting I set the floating bridge at 15inches from the 12 fret to the centre of the bridge, but I seem to be having issues with the tuning, I tried 2 free apps and Tuxguitar, Tuxguitar seems to be the closest, as I can go by hz value, but I'm not entirely sure what the value is on the 12th fret

I have a clip on tuner "somewhere" but we just moved house and its gone AWOL, I would of just left it until we were sorted but the bridge was off
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: ignition violin bass intonation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 11:44:56 am »
I trying to set the intonation on my ignition violin bass
For a ball park setting I set the floating bridge at 15inches from the 12 fret to the centre of the bridge, but I seem to be having issues with the tuning, I tried 2 free apps and Tuxguitar, Tuxguitar seems to be the closest, as I can go by hz value, but I'm not entirely sure what the value is on the 12th fret
I have a clip on tuner "somewhere" but we just moved house and its gone AWOL, I would of just left it until we were sorted but the bridge was off
The 12th fret should be approximately equidistant from the nut and the saddle but as the intonation is slightly different with thinner strings it has to be compensated for thats why most saddles are never parallel to the nut. This is pretty good to get you started:
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-guitar-bridge-and-tailpiece-installation-and-repair/finding-saddle-location-with-the-saddlematic.html

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: ignition violin bass intonation
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 08:44:04 am »
that looks good
Thanks for the info
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App