Author Topic: Not exactly live but it's meant to be like one!  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Not exactly live but it's meant to be like one!
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:32:51 am »
Hey y'all,

Just thought I'd do some vocal warmup with some of my favorite John Lennon tracks. And I sort of shot the video all together so it kinda became an open micish set. Well I guess it's good practice for some future gigs or jams someday! I kinda messed up with the mic setup as I turned the gain all the way up. So not particularly happy with how the vocals turned out. Especially on Nowhere man. Other two songs are across the universe and Imagine. Enjoy!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Not exactly live but it's meant to be like one!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 06:23:01 pm »
Hey buddy, you done good!!! I particularly liked your Imagine, need to get my a55 into gear and try to post something myself again, just not sure what 😂😂😂
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 08:58:21 pm »
Hey buddy, you done good!!! I particularly liked your Imagine, need to get my a55 into gear and try to post something myself again, just not sure what 😂😂😂

Thank you for the listen and kind words Darrell! 😊 you should post for sure! If you would take my suggestion, I remember you said you used to hang out with Led Zeppelin back in the day. Why not a zeppelin cover?! 😊

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 06:07:47 am »
Most enjoyable open mic set, Bala, well done and thanks for sharing.

Certainly good practice for the day when you get to perform a live rather than recorded set.

If I shut my eyes, the guitar sounded a lot like a clean electric to me. I am on dangerous ground here, not being a master of EQ, tone, etc. ... but if I take a guess I'd assume that is a combination of the pickup and EQ settings on either amp or in the DAW (depending on how you recorded the audio). Not a bad sound just not quite what I expected when I saw you were playing your acoustic.

I had a smile at the rock 'n roll gesture at the end ... maybe, given that it was John Lennon, a peace sign would also work  ;D

Thanks again for a cool way to start my day  8)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:43 am »
I’ve always enjoyed the Beatles/John Lennon’s material. Well done on performing a 3 song set, it’s hard enough to keep it going for 1 song! Like David I was surprised by the guitar tone when you started playing but the tones suited the songs pretty well and there was good steady playing with embellishments in there. Well done Bala.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:21:33 am »
Good stuff Bala.
Definitely good practice for performing a 'set' when you can get back out and do it live.
:)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 01:24:53 pm »
Most enjoyable open mic set, Bala, well done and thanks for sharing.

Certainly good practice for the day when you get to perform a live rather than recorded set.

If I shut my eyes, the guitar sounded a lot like a clean electric to me. I am on dangerous ground here, not being a master of EQ, tone, etc. ... but if I take a guess I'd assume that is a combination of the pickup and EQ settings on either amp or in the DAW (depending on how you recorded the audio). Not a bad sound just not quite what I expected when I saw you were playing your acoustic.

I had a smile at the rock 'n roll gesture at the end ... maybe, given that it was John Lennon, a peace sign would also work  ;D

Thanks again for a cool way to start my day  8)

Thank you always for your kind words David. Ah the guitar tone. You would be right about how it sounds. Usually I mic my acoustic guitar for a good acoustic tone. But I took a different approach this time since I wanted to mic my voice. Never tried this approach before and probably why the high gain mic (cuz I usually share my mic for vocals and guitar) and the clean electric sound. I plugged in straight to my DAW and used an acoustic guitar plugin but probably had a lot of gain happening there as well. I’ll play around with it and hopefully find a good balance for the next time I use this approach 😊 and the second after I did the rock n roll sign I thought the peace sign would’ve been more apt but it was a second too late 😉

I’ve always enjoyed the Beatles/John Lennon’s material. Well done on performing a 3 song set, it’s hard enough to keep it going for 1 song! Like David I was surprised by the guitar tone when you started playing but the tones suited the songs pretty well and there was good steady playing with embellishments in there. Well done Bala.

Thank you for the kind words sairfingers. I’ve always enjoyed playing the Beatles. But never have I tried 3 in a row outside of my noodles. So it did take me some practice. I could always play the lead fills perfectly (to the best of my abilities) on nowhere man when I practice but I don’t know how many times I messed up when trying to record. In fact this was my second full length take on this set. I did one on Sunday but was not happy with how I played. Strangely enough I had a good vocal/guitar balance on that take. In all, practice definitely helps for sets like these. And if you forget or mess up along the set just keep playing! 😊

Good stuff Bala.
Definitely good practice for performing a 'set' when you can get back out and do it live.
:)

Thank you close! Expertly said! Definitely great practice this. I felt like I had lost touch jamming/ performing live and how right was I! However I can only dream of a set where I’d play all Beatles! 😔 band priorities and keeping up with the audience’s preferences will probably never see a day for an all Beatles set.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 01:10:50 am »
Nice Bala! Love me some Lennon!! Nicely done!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 02:10:13 am »
Peace man  ;D

What a great gig Bala. You have an appealing stage presence, like you belong there, you look good. You play with assurance and aplomb. Your voice, I've always loved your voice, but ... in this gig you sound strained and not always pitch perfect. It's not that you can't reach the notes, I know you can because I can hear it in places and when you do find the sweet spot, you're lovely to listen to. You're using your head voice pretty much all the time. It feels and sounds like there's little support coming from your respiratory diaphragm and breath. It also sounds as though your throat is squeezed. Is there anxiety about singing these songs? I've heard your chest voice and it's a wonderful thing. Please go find it again, support it with relaxed shoulders, belly deep breaths and your usual cooool self.  8)

Oh and while I'm being picky, do a sound check before you record. That hot mic didn't do you any favours. A vocal warm-up  with some deep breathing etc might be useful too.   
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 07:59:01 pm »
Hi Bala,

I just now saw this and it's now several days past, but wanted to chime in. I really enjoyed your practice / at home gig. Hard to beat a little John Lennon in my view. As others have said, you sounded and looked very comfortable, both in guitar and singing. I know how hard that is to do for 3 straight songs, so good work. You certainly looked the part in your denim jacket and indoor sunglasses. 2 thumbs up buddy! 
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 02:56:11 am »
It's unusual for Bala not to reply. Has anyone heard from him? I'm concerned.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 06:27:00 am »

Based on his profile, he has been online around 5 hours ago but haven't posted anything for almost a month. So he must be very busy I guess.

Regarding the performance. Not the biggest fan of John Lennon but really like the live session concept! Keep rockin 8)!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 11:00:29 pm »
Based on his profile, he has been online around 5 hours ago but haven't posted anything for almost a month. So he must be very busy I guess.

Thanks very much glp. I didn't think to check his profile so thanks for that tip too.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 11:34:45 pm »
Hey Bala this was great mate.   Wow you really have a good voice and I enjoyed each of these great tunes!  You look like a rock star too btw.   8)🤘🤘🤘
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 03:39:22 pm »
Nice Bala! Love me some Lennon!! Nicely done!

Thank you Bytron! John is certainly my favorite Beatle! Glad you enjoyed! 😊

Peace man  ;D

What a great gig Bala. You have an appealing stage presence, like you belong there, you look good. You play with assurance and aplomb. Your voice, I've always loved your voice, but ... in this gig you sound strained and not always pitch perfect. It's not that you can't reach the notes, I know you can because I can hear it in places and when you do find the sweet spot, you're lovely to listen to. You're using your head voice pretty much all the time. It feels and sounds like there's little support coming from your respiratory diaphragm and breath. It also sounds as though your throat is squeezed. Is there anxiety about singing these songs? I've heard your chest voice and it's a wonderful thing. Please go find it again, support it with relaxed shoulders, belly deep breaths and your usual cooool self.  8)

Oh and while I'm being picky, do a sound check before you record. That hot mic didn't do you any favours. A vocal warm-up  with some deep breathing etc might be useful too.   

Thank you for the listen and the constructive feedback Maggie. And you’re dead on as always! Well for one I hadn’t sung in quite a while and I didn’t warm up before the take. Also I kept messing up on nowhere man quite a lot so the general confidence level was very low doing the set but I decided to go through with it anyways. Especially since I hadn’t done anything productive in a good while.

Several reasons to that but to keep it short the band had a project that involved the lead guitarist and everybody but the lead guitarist are done with their parts... a little over a month and a half ago now. Coming back to my post, yes, the hot mic certainly didn’t do any favors. I do have another take without the hot mic but didn’t want to post the same thing twice. I didn’t like some of it and that’s why I went ahead with the hot mic post. I should’ve done a sound check but I don’t know what was going through my mind at the time that I literally turned it up at the last minute and recorded and since for the first time I didn’t have direct monitoring I couldn’t tell how it sounded. So sorry about that 😅

Hi Bala,

I just now saw this and it's now several days past, but wanted to chime in. I really enjoyed your practice / at home gig. Hard to beat a little John Lennon in my view. As others have said, you sounded and looked very comfortable, both in guitar and singing. I know how hard that is to do for 3 straight songs, so good work. You certainly looked the part in your denim jacket and indoor sunglasses. 2 thumbs up buddy! 

Thank you Tosh! It was fun to do at the time. It was kinda getting to the point where I had to do something since the band didn’t do much in a while. Glad you liked it 😊

Hey Bala this was great mate.   Wow you really have a good voice and I enjoyed each of these great tunes!  You look like a rock star too btw.   8)🤘🤘🤘

Thank you for the kind words Alex. The look was planned for a live gig but I did use it for the Buffalo Springfield cover so I thought I might as well use it here for the John Lennon look 😁 glad you liked it

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »

Regarding the performance. Not the biggest fan of John Lennon but really like the live session concept! Keep rockin 8)!

I’m really sorry about the inactivity. I was getting everything worked out and was well on track and then was set back by a lot of things. The last two years have pretty much been me taking 2 steps and then having a 4 step setback. But we do have a project that’s been in the making for a couple of months thanks to the reason I stated to Maggie above. And I was having some health issues again and also lost a family member due to corona. They also permanently closed the restaurant/bar where we used to play live at. The band is still together but we haven’t jammed in a long time. I’ve moved on from the set backs though. I have something planned for my solo posts. It’s expected to be a weekly thing but let’s see. So far I have been practicing guitar fairly regularly through all this. But vocals is another thing. I’m sorry once again that I had you all concerned but I’m back! Again! 😊🤘🏾

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:34 pm »
Figured as much Bala.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep on going, friend ...

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 04:46:45 pm »
Figured as much Bala.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep on going, friend ...

Thank you David. That means a lot 😊

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 10:36:03 pm »
It's good to hear from you Bala.

I'm sorry to know you've been doing it tough, with more health issues, the death of a family member and other hardships that have been part of the 2 steps forward, 4 steps back.

I send you thoughts of comfort, vibrant good health, easy solutions and music making that uplifts you.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 09:32:54 am »
Sorry to hear the sad news Bala. Best wishes and may the music help you. :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
It's good to hear from you Bala.

I'm sorry to know you've been doing it tough, with more health issues, the death of a family member and other hardships that have been part of the 2 steps forward, 4 steps back.

I send you thoughts of comfort, vibrant good health, easy solutions and music making that uplifts you.

Thank you Maggie. I am trying my best to pull through. I mean it’s been tough for everyone this year and some are having it way worse than I am. All things must pass. I’ve been making some changes to my lifestyle too and been trying to improve my immunity. On another note I am working on this original. It’s been keeping me in a good place. So lots of better things and days to come 😊

Sorry to hear the sad news Bala. Best wishes and may the music help you. :)

Thank you close! Yes I’m confident that the music will help me too. :)

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 05:30:13 pm »
From one John Lennon fan to another...Great video.
Nowhere Man & Across The Universe brilliant as was Imagine, which seems to attract crticism in these times after its Celebrity performance during lockdown.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:54:15 pm by willsie01 »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App