Author Topic: How to mute the low e string with your ring finger  (Read 308 times)

Offline Inge#29

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
How to mute the low e string with your ring finger
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
Hi guys,

So I am still struggling with my F barre chord, so while practicing that, i also try to play songs with Fmajor7 and Fmajor7 with a C base. Now I have noticed that my strumming can be a bit sloppy, in the sense that I sometimes hit the low e-string while strumming. Justin advises in his lesson on the C chord for instance to try and mute the low e-string with the tip of your ring finger. I have tried that, but when I do, the fifth string also gets muted, which is of course not what I want. It seems that my finger is not big enough (I am a girl, so quite slender fingers)  to achieve both, but maybe I am just doing it wrong.

I can mute the low e string with my thumb, but I believe Justin doesn’t recommend it as a beginner.

Can you guys help me or have some advice for me?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 576
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: How to mute the low e string with your ring finger
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:29:42 pm »
Hi Inge.

How much of a beginner are you?
The low E string being hit on the Fmaj7 chord really doesn't sound too good at all so if you can use your thumb to mute it I would suggest you do so.
Justin's index finger mute is something he suggests and says it works well with thumb over the top muting as a 'belt and braces' dual approach.

Do not neglect making conscious your efforts to strike the strings accurately for chords with less than 6 strings in them too.

Offline Inge#29

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:26 am »
Hi close2u,

I am a beginner, 7 months in. Yeah I use my thumb from time to time, but I thought that I had to use my third finger for muting the low e string. Unfortunately I also mute the A string then, apparently I all of a sudden don’t have enough grip anymore when I press down the string.

But i find it difficult to avoid the low e string while strumming the C and Fmajor7 chord, is this recognizable to you?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 576
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:09:58 am »
Inge, at 7 months you will be finding your own way to make micro adjustments in hand positioning when fretting chords. Everybody has different size and shape hands and fingers so everyone needs to find their optimal for each chord. The 'thumb behind the neck' is a really good advisory for all beginners as a general rule but it is a rule that can be loosened in interpretation and application as you gain in experience. And as you learn more chords you will encounter chords that actively require the thumb over the top. So, excuse the pun, thumb behind the neck is just a 'rule of thumb'.
And yes, what you describe about your strumming hand is perfectly normal. The art of only striking the strings needed is something that many beginners find difficult - and, in truth, the practice of it specifically is a neglected aspect of learning. Being able, at will, to play a chord from any given string (6th, 5th or 4th) is not an easy thing at all. Looking at your strumming not your fretting hand is a big help here so you need to be able to form chords on auto-pilt without looking.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App