Author Topic: Jack socket issue  (Read 355 times)

Offline moozix

• Good Vibes 0
Jack socket issue
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:10 pm »
Hi guys!

I've been having this issue with the jack socket

The jack cable only seems to work in certain positions. Both the cable and the guitar are new. Is there a fault with the jack port itself or the cable? It seems like if there was a way of tightening the connection it should work fine? Is it something I should get in touch with the seller about or maybe there's an easy fix I could try?

I had a quick look inside today and it seems like there's a bit of a gap between the metal bit of the jack socket and the cable tip. Not sure if that's just of how this particular cable tip is shaped or is it just a case of slightly bending the metal of the socket to improve the connection?

Might be easier to spot it in this vid:

My first electric so any help appreciated!

Offline adi_mrok

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: Jack socket issue
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »
I would perhaps first try with another cable and if the same issues occur then contact the seller. Just to make sure you are not loosing your time and possibly money if it turns out all is okay but the cable was faulty. Ideally buy it locally rather than online so you can return it and get your money back and not to pay for shipment.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:38:36 pm »
It should be possible to carefully bend the spring contact which connects to the tip. It shouldn't need much to get it to make a better contact.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline guitalias

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:24 am »
It should be possible to carefully bend the spring contact which connects to the tip. It shouldn't need much to get it to make a better contact.

Cheers,

Keith

+1 like 👍

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:51 am »
Cheers,
Keith
Yes agreed but only as a temporary measure, get a Switchcraft replacement for a long term resolution !
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:00:32 am »
Yes agreed but only as a temporary measure, get a Switchcraft replacement for a long term resolution !

Yes, a quality replacement is a good idea. These cheap sockets have a habit of going wrong.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:44 am »

Yep Switchcraft all the way around £4 on Amazon sold in Allparts packaging
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Get The Forum As A Mobile App