Author Topic: Distant Sun (Crowded House) - July recording  (Read 317 times)

Offline pikeamus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Distant Sun (Crowded House) - July recording
« on: July 30, 2020, 05:44:14 pm »
Hi all,

Here's my attempt for July, this time with video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_PC7QOKpC4

I've spent lots of time recently fiddling about with recording software and getting my electric guitars sounding good but I realised that although I had a decent recording of a track (Californication) I couldn't actually play it live if I wanted to. It's too close to the limit of my skills - I can play all the parts well enough (most of the time) but putting it all together is not yet smooth.

Anyway, I decided that I wasn't going to be satisfied posting music here, from this point on, unless I thought I could play it live to a respectable standard. Don't ask me why - it's just an irrational feeling. So I quickly filmed this clip of another track I've been working on. Hope you enjoy :)

Offline adi_mrok

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: Distant Sun (Crowded House) - July recording
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:12:37 pm »
Anyway, I decided that I wasn't going to be satisfied posting music here, from this point on, unless I thought I could play it live to a respectable standard. Don't ask me why - it's just an irrational feeling.

Probably bit of a Beatles drop in your blood, perfectionism is nothing to be ashamed about but yes it can be a bit exhausting for a person suffering it :)

Anyway I quite enjoyed the song even though not familiar with the original :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:11 pm »
I think some pro recording bands produce records and struggle to play live, so personally I view the two as equally legitimate ways to make music and share here. So I'd encourage you to share the recording of Californication. I'd love to hear it and there's no limit on how many recordings you share per month.

I really enjoyed your performance here. Looked to me like a challenging song in terms of the chords and changes, plus a strumming rhythm that was really hooked me. Perhaps because I don't think I could reproduce that, and if I could, not making all those chord changes and singing.

To keep growing I think the next step could be to add a mic for your vocal and perhaps record the guitar DI, so we can hear the vocal better. Bit of a pain to add the audio recorded in your DAW to the video, to get it in sync, but quite doable once you get the hang of it.

But that's a suggestion to build on what you are doing, not a criticism of your performance. Have to say, I'm always pleased to see your monthly recording arrive in AVOYP.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 03:21:13 pm »
I enjoyed this, pikeamus. Pretty song. Like David said, you have fluent chord changing ability. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pikeamus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »
I think some pro recording bands produce records and struggle to play live, so personally I view the two as equally legitimate ways to make music and share here. So I'd encourage you to share the recording of Californication. I'd love to hear it and there's no limit on how many recordings you share per month.

I really enjoyed your performance here. Looked to me like a challenging song in terms of the chords and changes, plus a strumming rhythm that was really hooked me. Perhaps because I don't think I could reproduce that, and if I could, not making all those chord changes and singing.

To keep growing I think the next step could be to add a mic for your vocal and perhaps record the guitar DI, so we can hear the vocal better. Bit of a pain to add the audio recorded in your DAW to the video, to get it in sync, but quite doable once you get the hang of it.

But that's a suggestion to build on what you are doing, not a criticism of your performance. Have to say, I'm always pleased to see your monthly recording arrive in AVOYP.

Thanks David. In justin's acoustic songbook, this is marked as an intermediate level track (probably due to the 16th note strumming) but for some reason it clicked immediately for me - I've struggled much more with "easier" tracks. It helps that it's in C (at least my version - original is capo'd to D#) which is home territory for me.

I'm acutely aware that I only find time to listen and comment on around 4 or so recordings from other people each month, so I'm reluctant to post the other track immediately, but perhaps I'll do so in a week or so. Maybe I'll take your advice and grab a better mic first :)

I enjoyed this, pikeamus. Pretty song. Like David said, you have fluent chord changing ability. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Many thanks pkboo :)

Probably bit of a Beatles drop in your blood, perfectionism is nothing to be ashamed about but yes it can be a bit exhausting for a person suffering it :)

Anyway I quite enjoyed the song even though not familiar with the original :)

And thank you too adi_mrok (that's a mouthful :) ).

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:09:10 am »
Glad you took the leap and shared this recording Mike. You've a driving rhythm, easy to listen to vocals and a vibe that's all your own. I hope you can give yourself a pat on the back  :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 07:47:23 am »
Thanks David. In justin's acoustic songbook, this is marked as an intermediate level track (probably due to the 16th note strumming) but for some reason it clicked immediately for me - I've struggled much more with "easier" tracks. It helps that it's in C (at least my version - original is capo'd to D#) which is home territory for me.

I'm acutely aware that I only find time to listen and comment on around 4 or so recordings from other people each month, so I'm reluctant to post the other track immediately, but perhaps I'll do so in a week or so. Maybe I'll take your advice and grab a better mic first :)

Love the "easier" in quotes. So true. One of the things that really demoralises me is when people say something is easy, their easy and my "I can do this" can be so different.

Without getting snippy and whiney, there are folk that I think post recordings here pretty much just to get views, likes, and subscribes for their YT channel, and others who post here and have posted comments next to never on other folks postings.

So as far as I am concerned I tip my hat to you for considering that and being reluctant, but from my side, I'd say don't fret, keep fretting and posting whenever you happen to have something produced and I for one will not feel any grumpiness at how much you post and comment.

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 12:30:19 pm »
I wasn't familiar with the song, but really liked it! Nice, steady rhythm and your singing also complimented your playing :D

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »
Well done pikeamus. Good driving rhythm there and some difficult and quick chord changes. I like crowded house - what happened to them? I must look up some of their stuff and give it a go, thanks for inspiring me.

I’ve only posted a couple of songs on AVOYP so know exactly what you mean about ‘respectable standard’. Of course this forum is primarily geared to beginner/intermediate guitarists (although there are some top class players/producers here too) and the whole point is to get some helpful critique and positive comment, but we all want to do our best and put up something ‘half decent’.

I accept what David says about people not commenting on AVOYP and some having ulterior motives for putting songs up. But with regard to commenting on AVOYP, since putting up my own AVOYP and thus feeling I had a bit of credibility, being a fairly new guitarist (2 1/2 years) myself, I have posted quite frequently, but what sort of comment can I make other than ‘good job’ ‘well done’ etc. I don’t have the knowledge or talent to offer really meaningful advice and I suspect many others are in the same boat and so listen but don’t post comments. To counter my own argument, I also know how encouraging a simple ‘well done’ is! 

You mention fiddling around with recording software. I’m not into that (yet). Learning guitar is difficult and time consuming enough without adding that to the equation!

Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 89
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:02:02 pm »
Good stuff Mike.
Been following your progress since day 1 and you're doing great.
Love Crowded House and this is a beautiful song. I'm unfamiliar with a number of those chords and impressed with the rhythm and changes.
I'm with you on trying to learning to play the whole song in one go, only problem is- I forget them once I learn the next one  ::)
I wouldn't worry too much about not commenting on all the new songs posted. Most people pick up pretty quickly where someone is coming from and how much they give and take. We all go through rich and lean periods, but it's always good to see enthusiasm and progress.
Haha, I should feel like a hypocrite, as I'll be posting myself having ignored the board for a while!  ;)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 03:45:15 pm »
Mike,
Good stuff. You have a good sense on the beat and kind of accent it. To my ear that is a nice touch. Good solid play.

Doing monthly recordings will give you a great reference to go back and check your progress.

Keep rockin and keep up the good work!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 09:02:27 pm »
Way to stretch and pull out all the stops! I think you nailed this one. The rhythm was spot on and overall tone and tempo were great.

As far as being able to play a song live, it's really up to you. You get to set whatever bar, however high you want. You're coming along nicely in your journey, your own motivations and goals have gotten you this far, continue on blazing your own trail and setting your own standards.   

Offline pikeamus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »
snip

I accept what David says about people not commenting on AVOYP and some having ulterior motives for putting songs up. But with regard to commenting on AVOYP, since putting up my own AVOYP and thus feeling I had a bit of credibility, being a fairly new guitarist (2 1/2 years) myself, I have posted quite frequently, but what sort of comment can I make other than ‘good job’ ‘well done’ etc. I don’t have the knowledge or talent to offer really meaningful advice and I suspect many others are in the same boat and so listen but don’t post comments. To counter my own argument, I also know how encouraging a simple ‘well done’ is! 

You mention fiddling around with recording software. I’m not into that (yet). Learning guitar is difficult and time consuming enough without adding that to the equation!

That first quoted paragraph definitely resonates. I sometimes have ideas of constructive criticism, but what do I really know? Perhaps my ideas are of how to improve are just wrong. I'll stick to the positive comments and just try and make them as specific as I can.

Possibly a good call on leaving the recording stuff alone for a bit - it has definitely cut into my practice time. On the other hand, I do like the idea of writing my own music soon so getting through the early learning stages now might be worthwhile.

brian, LBro, CT: Thank you all. My wife just read that sequence of comments over my shoulder and said, "All the people on that forum are so nice!" Yes, yes they are. Makes it so much easier to post here.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App