Author Topic: Should I get an EKO S350 or Yamaha pacifica 012?  (Read 859 times)

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
Should I get an EKO S350 or Yamaha pacifica 012?
« on: July 28, 2020, 04:52:21 pm »
Hello everyone!
I really hope someone can help me here, I'm having some troubles trying to find my first electric guitar (I have no experience at all in music and playing guitar). From what I've seen online the Pacifica 012 should be better than the Eko S350 (with a similar price there are also some Squier guitars), but I'm not sure if there's really much difference at all and if it's worth the difference in price.
As you can see they both have an HSS configuration because I'm trying to get an instrument that is as much versatile as possibile, do you think that these guitars are worth it or I should step up the price and get something like for example an Ibanez GRX70QA or GRG140?
Feel free if you want to suggest a different guitar or anything else.
Thank you for everyone that will reply and read this thread.
I really hope most of it will be understandable because English is not my main language.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Should I get an EKO S350 or Yamaha pacifica 012?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 05:28:49 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Of those, the Yamaha every day of the week is a better choice.
Even better if you can get a Pacifica 112.

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:59:34 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Of those, the Yamaha every day of the week is a better choice.
Even better if you can get a Pacifica 112.

Hi! Thank you for replying to my post.
I've got another fast question if you don't mind, the Pacifica 112 is a little bit over the budget that I thought for the guitar, but do you think that the two Ibanez are a little better than the 012? they have a similar price after all.
Thanks for welcoming me :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:03:38 pm »
I can't speak for the Ibanezz as I have no personal experience with either of those models. So I am unsure of their consistency of build quality or of any issues.
Yamaha are renowned for good, consistent quality control.
At their price, the Ibanez may be fine.
They are all similar in most respects.

One thing I do notice between the three choices is the neck radius.
Flatter necks can make some chord formations, especially barre chords, a little more tricky. They are good for fast lead guitar playing at speed up and down the neck.

The GRG140 has the flattest neck, 400mm = 15.7 inches
The Yamaha has 13.8 inches.
The GRX70QA has 305mm = 12 inches.

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:15:44 pm »
I can't speak for the Ibanezz as I have no personal experience with either of those models. So I am unsure of their consistency of build quality or of any issues.
Yamaha are renowned for good, consistent quality control.
At their price, the Ibanez may be fine.
They are all similar in most respects.

One thing I do notice between the three choices is the neck radius.
Flatter necks can make some chord formations, especially barre chords, a little more tricky. They are good for fast lead guitar playing at speed up and down the neck.

The GRG140 has the flattest neck, 400mm = 15.7 inches
The Yamaha has 13.8 inches.
The GRX70QA has 305mm = 12 inches.

That was something I wasn't taking into consideration, I feel like the Yamaha is somehow in the middle between those guitars (neck radius and also build quality probably). I'm very happy about your replies and your help, thank you so much!
I'll try to search those guitars in a music store and try them so I can know how they feel around my hands.
Thank you again for everything and for your knowledge! You were very kind :)

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:12:02 pm »
Another vote for Yamaha rather than Eko.
Are you able to try all these Yamaha & Ibanez in a store? I recently sold a Yamaha 112J, good guitar but just didn't suit me. Even if you can't play yet you can get a feel for a guitar if you put an adjusted strap on it, hold the guitar, stand & sit with it. Assume a playing position, hold the neck, strum a bit.

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:26:37 am »
Another vote for Yamaha rather than Eko.
Are you able to try all these Yamaha & Ibanez in a store? I recently sold a Yamaha 112J, good guitar but just didn't suit me. Even if you can't play yet you can get a feel for a guitar if you put an adjusted strap on it, hold the guitar, stand & sit with it. Assume a playing position, hold the neck, strum a bit.
Yeah, actually the plan for today is to get into some stores to find those guitars and try to get a feel for them :)
And at the same time I'm also trying to find some good amps to start my journey that is not so expensive and not going to lie it's a bit harder than expected ahahah
Thank you for replying and helping me :)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:04 pm »
Yeah, actually the plan for today is to get into some stores to find those guitars and try to get a feel for them :)
And at the same time I'm also trying to find some good amps to start my journey that is not so expensive and not going to lie it's a bit harder than expected ahahah
Thank you for replying and helping me :)

How much can you spend on an amp?
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:36:35 pm »
How much can you spend on an amp?

I was thinking about something around 100€-120€, I've found the Blackstar ID core 10 or the echo 15 and the Vox mini3 G2, but I'm not sure which one is the best for me cause I'd like to play also some heavier music but I can't really find many samples of them with heavier sounds

Anyway this might be a little offtopic from what I've started the thread with, so I'm not sure if it's okay to continue talking about this here or maybe I should open a different thread on the amplifiers section, if it's okay I won't open another one.
Anyway thank you for asking! :)

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 10:59:38 pm »
A fresh thread asking about amps might be better, otherwise you will only get responses from people interested in your original thread. I'll  leave my beginner amp suggestions for now.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:52:52 pm »
A fresh thread asking about amps might be better, otherwise you will only get responses from people interested in your original thread. I'll  leave my beginner amp suggestions for now.
Try this one. https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47215.msg424240#msg424240

Offline Andrex2309

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:56 am »
Thank you everyone! I'll search between some other threads too and see If I should open a new one or I can use other suggestions from other threads.
Thanks again to everyone for your help :)

Offline briankelleher

• Good Vibes 0
    • Killer Guitar Rigs
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 07:10:51 pm »
Yamaha all day every day. They make fantastic instruments at that price point.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App