Author Topic: Yamaha 112V or Jackson JS22 dinky?  (Read 668 times)

Offline mizdring

• Good Vibes 0
Yamaha 112V or Jackson JS22 dinky?
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:53:29 pm »
Hi all, complete beginner here looking to buy first guitar. I've read around the subject and know the go-to is the Yamaha but I've seen the Jackson and fallen in love a little (not massive on the Strat style).

I lean toward a harder, more distorted sound in general in my listening and wonder if the Jackson is a good choice, or if it really even matters much for a total beginner.

Thanks!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: Yamaha 112V or Jackson JS22 dinky?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:36:45 pm »
.........but I've seen the Jackson and fallen in love a little.......
Assuming you’ve tried it and lots of others in your price range, I think you may have answered your own question!
Your guitar has to shout “play me” as you walk past it in the house.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline mizdring

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:23:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Another I've seen is the JS32 which seems to be a better guitar for not much more money? Only issue is that it has the infamous Floyd rose on it...but apparently there is a "hardtail" version but I'd be lying if I said I knew what that meant!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 05:12:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Another I've seen is the JS32 which seems to be a better guitar for not much more money? Only issue is that it has the infamous Floyd rose on it...but apparently there is a "hardtail" version but I'd be lying if I said I knew what that meant!

Hardtail means it hasn't got a trem, so no Floyd Rose to worry about :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:58 pm »
At that price it will not be a Floyd rose. It will be a Floyd rose ‘licensed’ bridge. I’m not an expert but from what I’ve learned, that is something that should definitely be avoided.
Even a ‘proper’ Floyd rose means difficult string changes and tuning. Not what you want as a beginner. Learning guitar is hard enough without that!
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline mizdring

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:43 pm »
Great, thanks both for the replies. Now to search for a good deal!

Offline briankelleher

• Good Vibes 0
    • Killer Guitar Rigs
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 07:09:49 pm »
I would definitely avoid any floyd style bridge starting off. They're tricky to change the strings and can be tricky to play with if, like me, you're used to resting your palm on the bridge.

Go with the hard tail - good choices by the way!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App