Author Topic: Sandrine's Learning Journey  (Read 513 times)

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Sandrine's Learning Journey
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:37:19 pm »
Hi Everybody,
I started learning the guitar on the 10th July 2020...well re-started.

I had a first attempt in June 2015 using Justin Guitar. I was doing the classic beginner course and have the beginner Song book. I used an excel spreadsheet to record my progress. Then, I moved to Stage 2 after a week, stage 3 on week 3, stage 4 on week 5, reverted to stage 3 on week 14 and carried on til January 2016. Then nothing..What a shame!

I think it was too quick.

So here we start again,using the new course.

Since the 10th, I have practised nearly 20 minutes everyday. (4h42min as of today). I love the fact that I don't have to have my excel spreadsheet.
I have made some changes to try to ensure I keep at it.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 304
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Sandrine's Learning Journey
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:41:20 pm »
Welcome back Sandrine !

Sounds like you are settling into a good routine. Wish you well.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:19 pm »
Sandrine

Chappeau for getting back on the horse. The old BC and an xls works for some and maybe not others. Biggest issue is expecting too much too soon. Sounds like you have a good approach and attitude this time round, so stick with it. FWIW it took me 22 months to get through the BC Classic. Six months on stage 6 !! Went back to the beginning three times but eventually made it through. Just remember take your time its not a race, as some folks think. And exploit the heck out of all the folks on the forum. They'll either be walking beside you, someways ahead of you and yes some will be behind you. But we all tread the same path, make the same mistakes and learn from our friends and peers. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 10:53:13 pm »
Last Saturday I bought an electric Yamaha Pacifica (2nd hand), thanks to this forum, to be able to practise later in the evenings.

A couple of days ago,I have changed (successfully) the strings to my acoustic Washburn. Thinner string are definitely easier!

I started part of Stage 2 after a few days because I wanted to play (or try to) 3 Little birds.

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:21 pm »
Welcome back Sandrine !

Sounds like you are settling into a good routine. Wish you well.

Thank you for the encouragement.
I am hoping to just practise every day a little bit. Technique and songs.
Taking it easy but focus at the same time.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 543
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 08:51:45 am »
Good to see you start a road case and share your guitaring with the community Sandrine. :)

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:52:15 pm »
Hi Toby,
Sounds like I need to be ready for stage 6 then ::)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:51:47 am by close2u »

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 10:03:43 pm »
Hi Toby,
Sounds like I need to be ready for stage 6 then ::)

Not now you've got the Yam  :) I spent months struggling with The Dreaded F Chord as Justin call it but I committed to getting everything clean on acoustic before moving on.  Two things happened. I got the acoustic set up and lowered and two days later had mastered "that" chord. And secondly I changed my strategy and decided if all was good on my electrics I'd move on BUT continue to consolidate the previous stage until it was clean on the acoustic. A bit like learning songs. You will find you are learning songs a stage behind your technical skill development and mastering the songs from a couple of stages back. That pretty normal and a common observation folks make when newcomers are struggling with songs. So a quick heads up for the future.  ;)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 03:29:32 pm »
Not now you've got the Yam  :) I spent months struggling with The Dreaded F Chord as Justin call it but I committed to getting everything clean on acoustic before moving on.  Two things happened. I got the acoustic set up and lowered and two days later had mastered "that" chord. And secondly I changed my strategy and decided if all was good on my electrics I'd move on BUT continue to consolidate the previous stage until it was clean on the acoustic. A bit like learning songs. You will find you are learning songs a stage behind your technical skill development and mastering the songs from a couple of stages back. That pretty normal and a common observation folks make when newcomers are struggling with songs. So a quick heads up for the future.  ;)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Thanks, was thinking of moving to the 3rd lesson as my A, D and E sound OK and my one minute change are not too bad but feel I could do better on the songs so was going to keep practicing the songs.
So helpful thank you

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 09:42:35 pm »
Strings changes on my 2nd hand electric Yamaha and on the acoustic Washburn. Definitely made a difference.
Moved on to lesson 3.
However, I find that I am twice as slow at doing my one  minute changes on the electric.
Also my hand is a lot more twisted and my wrist hurts on the electric. Not sure why?

I will keep practising. I think it is the only way!!

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:59:38 pm »
Sandrine

Maybe just be getting used to the new neck compared to the "old" acoustic. One tip I got here in my early days is to not keep the neck perpendicular to the floor. Now I know ALL of Justin's lesson shows him holding the guitar like that BUT ............ to make things easier raise the neck. That will take the tension off your wrist. You don't need to go to extremes but even 20-30 degrees above parallel will make a difference.

Here's some examples that were suggested to me about 5 years ago .......... it ain't all show.

Slash

Angus

Moi

It really makes a big difference.

Salut et bonne nuit.

Toby
 8)

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:36:59 pm »
Sandrine

Maybe just be getting used to the new neck compared to the "old" acoustic. One tip I got here in my early days is to not keep the neck perpendicular to the floor. Now I know ALL of Justin's lesson shows him holding the guitar like that BUT ............ to make things easier raise the neck. That will take the tension off your wrist. You don't need to go to extremes but even 20-30 degrees above parallel will make a difference.

Here's some examples that were suggested to me about 5 years ago .......... it ain't all show.

Slash

Angus

Moi

It really makes a big difference.

Salut et bonne nuit.

Toby
 8)
Thank you Toby, I'wiil try tomorrow!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App