Author Topic: Buying my first guitar - budget €200 - rock / metal looks  (Read 959 times)

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
Hello!

Right now I'm learning with a borrowed acoustic guitar, but I want to buy my own electric one. My main concern is price. I want to get a good guitar (second hand) for a good price. I found a guitar I really like for 200€, but I cant find out how much this specific model goes for.

Can someone tell me if this is a good guitar? And if it is a good deal?

ESP LTD F-250

specs listed by seller if it helps:

• Agathis body
    Neck-thru-body construction
    Maple neck
    25-1/2" scale
    Locking nut
    42mm neck width
    Extra-thin U-shaped neck contour
    Rosewood fretboard
    24 extra-jumbo frets
    2 ESP LH-301 humbuckers with coil-split on tone control
    Floyd Rose Special double-locking tremolo bridge
    Black nickel hardware
    Arrowhead fingerboard inlays

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:45:40 pm by close2u »

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
Re: Buying my first guitar.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:56:01 pm »
It looks like it is a good guitar and a good price (depending on its condition) but it has a floyd rose bridge. The floyd rose is not recommended for beginners as it makes tuning and string changes much more difficult than a standard bridge.

Personally I would look for a different guitar but see if anyone else on the forum thinks it will be OK.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:18:20 am »
Yes I saw it had floyd rose and a friend already told me what it is. Is tuning the guitar that much harder? I understand the string changing being a lot harder just didn't know tuning also being so hard. Anyone have a estimate how long it takes for you to tune it?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 01:44:23 am »
It's not a telecaster. Just kidding, sort of. You have to get a guitar that inspires you to play it, but this one doesn't look like an entry level instrument. It looks to be a discontinued model but may work out fine for you, hard to say for sure. None of my guitars have wiggle-sticks because I don't play Hawaiian music. LOL

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:39:38 am »
Hi Gasper and welcome to the forum.
If that black, sculpted, angular style is the sort of guitar aesthetic that floats your boat and turns you on and rocks your desires then go for it.
The desire to pick it up and play is a massive motivator.
ESP are a decent brand and even their budget level models have something to commend them.
However, this is a budget with with a locking bridge tremolo. It is not a floyd rose. It is floyd rose licensed. In other words, a cheaper component that is not in the same league of quality in manufacture.

If it were a floyd rose I would say avoid.
Given that it is an inferior version I say avoid, avoid.
They are a nightmare when it comes to restringing, tuning and having good tuning stability for beginners and many others besides.

If you want a black, rock-looking guitar and ESP is your fancy have a look at their Viper range.
Or look at similar shapes / styles but with a fixed bridge not with a tremolo bridge.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:41:50 pm »
There are too many other difficulties when learning, no point in adding another one in.

My Pacifica has a vintage floating tremolo, it is easier to set up to a floyd one but even so restringing takes longer on it as each time you tune up the tremolo moves up and throws the other strings out.
The tremolo also moves when you use alternative timings and so I can't be bothered to use the Pacifica for any other tuning. Want to play a song in drop D on a fixed bridge then drop the low E to D, on a floating bridge drop the low E, the bridge lowers, all the other strings go out of tune, tune them up, the bridge drops a bit more and the low E is now out, younhave to repeat the process a few times to get it in tune
If you play the song and then go back to standard tuning you will have spent five minutes tuning for a single song

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 12:51:35 pm »
TY for the replies.

Given that it is an inferior version I say avoid, avoid.
They are a nightmare when it comes to restringing, tuning and having good tuning stability for beginners and many others besides.
Ok, will avoid.

If you want a black, rock-looking guitar and ESP is your fancy have a look at their Viper range.
Or look at similar shapes / styles but with a fixed bridge not with a tremolo bridge.
I don't really care that much about the manufacturer as long as the guitar looks good to me. I looked at their viper range and I liked it, but it's above my budget (200€). If I could get it second hand for under 200€ I'd buy it.

Took your comments into consideration next one I'm thinking is one of these from a retailer and not second hand. Cant post links but they are on thomann.
Ibanez GRG121DX-BKF 189€
Ibanez GRG121DX-WNF 194€

Nothing else really worth buying second hand close to my location. Also I am EU so some guitars are probably harder and some easier to get here.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
Re: Buying my first guitar - budget €200 - rock / metal looks
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 02:07:29 pm »
The Ibanez Gio are an OK entry level guitar.

Are you buying from Thomann, if so the Harley Benton range will get you a better guitar for the same money.
Perhaps not so pointy but the Harley Benton CST 24 range look good and as they are the delux range have fairly good specifications.

I am not trying get you to change your mind, I just think you may be paying a higher price for a pointy guitar.

PS - an awful lot of famous metal players dont use pointy guitars

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 02:56:25 pm »
Budget 200 Euro

Do upi have an amp / accessories etc already?
Yeah currently I am only buying the guitar.

Thanks for the awesome choices. So I'm down to:
ESP LTD EC-10 BLK
ESP LTD Viper-10 BLK
Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT Ebony
Ibanez GRG121DX-BKF

Unless someone thinks one of the guitars is a lot worse than the other, I think it's down to personal preference now.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:21 pm »
The only thing with a Les Paul is they can be awkward to play when sitting and tend to be heavier than other guitars so can cause sore shoulders /neck / back when standing.
Obviously a lot of people play them without issues but it is just something to be aware of.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:29 pm »
Unless someone thinks one of the guitars is a lot worse than the other, I think it's down to personal preference now.

That is about right.

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 04:45:03 pm »
The Ibanez Gio are an OK entry level guitar.

Are you buying from Thomann, if so the Harley Benton range will get you a better guitar for the same money.
Perhaps not so pointy but the Harley Benton CST 24 range look good and as they are the delux range have fairly good specifications.

I am not trying get you to change your mind, I just think you may be paying a higher price for a pointy guitar.

PS - an awful lot of famous metal players dont use pointy guitars

Missed reading this post...
Isn't buying a pointy guitar included in the price :D Just kidding.
I really like the Benton CST-24 I junt dont know why that much of a price difference between the models? Why is CST-24 Paradise Flame B-Stock almost 40€ cheaper than the normal Paradise Flame?
I dont see any difference in the specs.

The only thing with a Les Paul is they can be awkward to play when sitting and tend to be heavier than other guitars so can cause sore shoulders /neck / back when standing.
Obviously a lot of people play them without issues but it is just something to be aware of.

Noted. I'm not really a strong dude so, yeah that may be a problem.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 05:10:39 pm »
I really like the Benton CST-24 I just dont know why that much of a price difference between the models? Why is CST-24 Paradise Flame B-Stock almost 40€ cheaper than the normal Paradise Flame?
I dont see any difference in the specs.

B Stock - as new in other words but someone bought it and changed their mind.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_what_are_b_stock_products.html

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 05:12:59 pm »
B Stock - as new in other words but someone bought it and changed their mind.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_what_are_b_stock_products.html
Ah, thanks. Will sounds fine to me then.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 08:23:24 pm »
Looking again those CST 24 have a floating bridge, same as a Pacifica. It is easy though to stop them floating by adding a small block of wood or extra springs to the tremolo block.
If you ever plan on using the whammy bar you can then unblock the tremolo when you are ready. It is a bit of a pain to set the floating tremolo up again though once it has been blocked, not difficult but time consuming.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 08:41:24 pm »
The CST does have a vintage style tremolo ... but honestly these are not a big hassle.
And you do not need wooden blocks or anything extra.
You simply unscrew the plastic cover from the back and tighten the screws of the metal claw holding the springs. Make sure all strings are slackened off before doing this. Then you basically have a guitar with a 'fixed bridge' as the bridge will not move, it will be flat against the body. You should take the tremolo arm out too - as a beginner you are not going to be using this for some time to come, if ever.

Reviews of the CST24 without tremolo bridge from a professional teacher

On first buying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SryJsRKptLg&t=12s

After a few upgrades;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-fsKWqo33Y&t=912s

On long term ownership:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHIEYRbtXTc

And from the same man a review of the tremolo version:

https://youtu.be/KaewEB1yQxc

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 08:57:00 pm »
Don't get the P90 one by mistake, it won't do metal.

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 09:39:39 pm »
Don't get the P90 one by mistake, it won't do metal.

OK I wont, but why wouldn't it?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 09:50:00 pm »
P90 pickups are similar to single coil pickups such as you find in Stratocsters etc and do not handle a lot of distortion too well - not as well as humbuckers.
You definitely want to make sure you get humbuckers if you want to play rock / metal / loud / distorted.

Offline Gasper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 09:56:38 pm »
Ah ok thank you.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App