Author Topic: Odd sized pickups  (Read 721 times)

Offline buxtonpaul

• Good Vibes 0
Odd sized pickups
« on: July 21, 2020, 02:18:09 pm »
So I figures I might have a go at upgrading the pickups in my Hondo Deluxe Series 757 Telecaster. After looking through some reviews etc, I figured I would go for some Tonerider Vintage Plus, which have some good reviews.
However it was not to be! It appears that the Hondo has used some unusual parts that I can't find an equivalent sized upgrade for. The neck pickup appears to be 6mm wider and  5m shorter than the the standard Telecaster Lipstick style Neck pickup.

The bridge pickup seems to be about the same width, but 5mm shorter than standard. Am I stuck with these pickups?
Any thoughts?

Dimensions here
Neck Pickup
66.83mm x 19.94mm

Bridge
68.13mm x 19.4mm

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
Re: Odd sized pickups
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:21:13 pm »
All you can do is  deepen  the pickup cavities and replace scratchplate if you can find a scratchplate to fit. There is no easy solution.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline buxtonpaul

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Odd sized pickups
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:07 am »
Thanks,
I had a feeling that might be the case. I did have a quick look to see if I could find a replacement scratchplate, but they also looked a slightly different size. It seems my guitar is the least compatible one on the planet. And that would only solve the issue for the neck pickup, the bridge pickup possibly has the same issue, which would be more difficult to solve.

No big deal, though I was doing it partly to learn more about my guitar and find out what impact different pickups would have. I can live with what I have. At the moment they are certainly not the limiting factor on the noises that come out of it!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App