Author Topic: Tone Knob for Strat Bridge (Monoprice Indio Cali Classic)  (Read 1200 times)

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Tone Knob for Strat Bridge (Monoprice Indio Cali Classic)
« on: July 07, 2020, 10:36:30 pm »
Hello fellow guitar enthusiasts!

I’ve been upgrading a 100-200 dollar guitar for the past year, and now I want to have a tone knob for my bridge pickup... the problem is, is that the guitar I have is not a conventional Stratocaster! It is this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=310&cp_id=31003&cs_id=3100301&p_id=610164

I wish I could send a picture of the circuit board (more like “circus board”...), but I don’t know how to submit pictures here! If someone may tell me how, I will post it!

Thank you!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
Re: Tone Knob for Strat Bridge (Monoprice Indio Cali Classic)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 11:24:18 pm »
Can't help with your particular issue, but I am a fan of the Monoprice guitars, including the Indios. Haven't had a chance to tinker with the strat yet. I have the Indio DLX tele and have done some mods (new pickups & four-way switch).

Make sure you look over the link you gave really well. There are 122 Reviews | 84 Questions, 171 Answers for that model. I have found almost any question I've had with their gear is answered right there on the web site. I also have their 15W tube amp, a PA system and an acoustic electric from Monoprice, couldn't be happier.

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:59:35 pm »
I looked up my question in the answered question section, it seemed no one had my question...
Maybe I’ll type my question in so someone can answer it! Good idea, thanks!
Also, is there a way to send pictures in this forum?

Thank you!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 12:07:36 am »
Yes, good idea! Monoprice sends questions into my email inbox on products that I have purchased. So you should get some eyes on it. I think standard strat pick guards come loaded with whatever configuration you want, and any of them should fit in the Cali. According to the Q&A, it has the "bathtub" route, so anything should work.

EDIT: Pictures are allowed after (I want to say 25) a number of posts. It's an anti-spam config or some such.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 07:07:17 am »
You can share pictures after making 5 posts. You need to host the picture somewhere on the internet and then share by embedding a link to it, like you did the link to the Monoprice website. I use imgur.com. And if you pick the right link when editing the image will appear in your post. I still test each time using the preview option. Or I guess you could use something like a folder in Google Drive, with the appropriate Share settings.

Can't help with your question.

Love your posting name  :D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:28:27 am »
Upload your photos to IMGUR.

Click on your photo.

You will see six options to copy the image code.

Choose the BBCode to copy / paste here.

:)

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the info guys! No one responded on the Monoprice site...

Here’s a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10kWT4xJTF7xJWEceRRugaM0CAfjw2-Op
I put link sharing on.

As you hopefully can see, there’s a blue wire coming from the bridge connecting to the far right end of the switch, and it’s black one is connecting to the volume pot. I really just want to connect the tone knob that controls the middle pickup to the bridge pickup as well! I got a new one, a Seymour Duncan Twang Banger, sounds fantastic! Overdriven it’s godly, but clean it’s a bit bright for me, so I’d like to have some control over it! Gotta tame it!

I didn’t use IMGUR because I never used it before... if Google Drive is a real problem, I will figure IMGUR out, but I think the link should be pretty cool.

Thank you DavidP! Yeah I love the name too! It just came to me as I was thinking of a username, guess it was meant to be.

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:26 pm »
Yeah so did any of you guys see the picture?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 11:15:58 pm »
Yeah so did any of you guys see the picture?
No sir, not I. I have nothing else to offer at this point, except that I would like to have heard how this guitar sounded with the stock config. It came stock with ceramic magnet pickups, it would have been nice to hear them.

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29:13 am »
No sir, not I. I have nothing else to offer at this point, except that I would like to have heard how this guitar sounded with the stock config. It came stock with ceramic magnet pickups, it would have been nice to hear them.

Did the link work when you clicked it? If it does I can send some audio clips of it, but I can’t really play (I’m a beginner) and I think the best way to hear it is by listening to this video, near the end when he tests it out:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCkJlLeIZE

Thanks anyways!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 05:41:48 am »
Picture not accessible after clicking the link. You need to set up the permissions on the folder so that anybody with the link has view access.

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:03:55 am »
I did this mod on a Squier Classic vibe strat which has a not standard printed circuit pickup selector, however it was still pretty obvious where to put the jumper.

If your switch is like mine, there was a set of 3 tabs, 2 connected to the neck and middle tone controls and one with no connection.
If you have a way of testing continuity, you can check if this is the right tab. It should connect to the middle tone control only when the pickup selector is in the bridge and middle position and nowhere else. It should also connect to the bridge pickup when the the selector is on both the bridge and the bridge and middle positions.

The mod works well, but it does make the bridge pickup a little less bright which may or may not be a good thing.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 03:38:55 pm »
Ok thanks for the input! I think this link should work, and then you can see if it is the same as your Squier!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10kWT4xJTF7xJWEceRRugaM0CAfjw2-Op?usp=sharing

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »
Can't help with the circuitry but can confirm the picture link now works and hopefully those who understand this side of things will soon comment to help you out.

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 06:24:11 pm »
Thank you so much!

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
So, uh, did anyone figure it out?

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 09:25:00 pm »
Guess not then... :'(

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 08:45:23 am »
At first,I could only see a thumb nail and now I can't see the picture.

But from what I could make out, the nearest tabs on the switch go to the tone pots, so those will be the neck and middle tone controls. That is red wire to the middle tone pot and blue to the neck tone pot. I think that the next tab is empty so this may be the one you want. I could barely see the picture so follow the wires yourself.

You could try temporally putting a jumper between the empty tab and the next tab which should have a red wire going to the middle pot. Then put the pickup selector in the bridge position and tap on the bridge pickup with a metal object and move the middle tone control back and forth. If you got the right tab, you should hear the tone change. Then check that it also works with the switch in the mid+bridge position and not in any other position. Also that the other pickups work as expected.

If you are satisfied that it works you can solder in the jumper properly and put things back together.

The circuitry is passive so you shouldn't blow anything up if you picked the wrong tab.

Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline TheDireStrat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 06:19:28 pm »
Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to try it out soon. Sorry for the late response, I hurt my wrist this week while riding my bike, so guitar wasn’t really a priority...

Have a great day!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App