Author Topic: Amp advice  (Read 1163 times)

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Amp advice
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:41:22 pm »
Following the thread at https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47203.0 about electric guitar advice I obviously would need an amp!! As a new starter to this I'm not sure what to go for so any help with his would be appreciated. I'm guessing the second hand is probably the way to go.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
  • Getting on with my life now!
Re: Amp advice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:22:43 am »
Hi Stuart, what sort of amp do you want, one that’s just for practicing and not too loud or a bigger one that can be attenuated? The other thing is how much do you have budgeted for one?
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 07:35:33 am »
Roland Cube

Boss Katana 50

The latter is 'better'. Of course, I own both so I would say that :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:06:05 am »
My advice for a first amp is a Boss Katana. Depending on budget you can go for either the 50 or the 100. Either one of those would be fine for a beginner, and you can find them used or new. The 100 has a few advantages, but those might not be important for a beginner. Some random thoughts:

• Both amps can run from low bedroom volume all the way to gig-level volume.
  • Both amps are solid-state/digital and have a variety of built-in amp tone models.
  • Both amps have a bunch of built-in effects that you can experiment with and learn about the different types of effects and how they affect the sound. This is great for a beginner -- you don't need to buy a bunch of pedals to learn the basics of effects.
  • Both amps sound pretty good and respond to playing dynamics, etc.
  • Both amps have pretty traditional controls/knobs (this is a plus in my book).
  • The 100 has a slightly bigger speaker.
  • The 100 has an effects loop. This is nice if you have a pedalboard (but most beginners won't). It's also nice if you have a looper pedal (which many beginners should).
  • The 100 can use the GA-FC foot controller. This is nice, even if you're a beginner, because it makes it easy to use the amp and switch effects/tones while you're playing. That's not critical for a beginner, though.
  • The 100 can save more channel presets. Nice, but far from critical, in my experience.

There are other options which fall into this same amp category, but out of the similar amps I've played I like the Katanas the best. FWIW, I'm more of a tube amp guy, but in addition to a modest collection of Marshall and Fender tube amps, I own (and use) a Katana 100/212.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:23:10 am »
You need to invest some time in similar threads in this part of the forum as the question comes up most weeks and the replies will be very similar.

The Katana has been for the last few years the standout out solid state amp for beginners (and experienced players) alike. Good price, good tone and you don't have to mess around with the tone studio on laptop/PC to get a good sound if you don't want BUT the built in effects are very very good. Prior to that - and for a very long time - It was the Fender Mustang Series of amps which were highly rated (and many on here will have one of those).

Alongside all of those are a multitude of amps from Fender (including the "new" versions of the Mustang series), Marshall, Blackstar. Peavy etc etc etc. The list will go on and on and on. If you search Youtube you'll find some good videos on shootouts/comparisons between these amps so I urge you to do that.

Price is probably going to be a key factor in what you can afford. If you're buying brand new you probably want a budget up £200 for you first amp and be prepared to pay £125+. You'll find a host of very cheap and very nasty amps in the sub £100 category which you should avoid. If you need to go this low then look for second hand.

If you don't have a lot of cash then there would be other non amp options to explore should you need to.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:56 am »
If you're only playing at home then yes, budget is the deciding factor. There are many amps at all price points.
Where it will live and the space available in that room / if you want it to be mobile will factor in.
There are some brands to avoid for sure and increasingly so at the low end price range of the 2nd hand market.
You can get a perfectly decent 2nd hand amp for circa £50-80 depending on luck and timing in your perusing of the marketplace.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 11:00:24 am »
Hi Stuart, what sort of amp do you want, one that’s just for practicing and not too loud or a bigger one that can be attenuated? The other thing is how much do you have budgeted for one?
At the moment one for practice & yes, not too loud!!

Budget wise not too sure. Say £100-£150.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 01:21:40 pm »
At the moment one for practice & yes, not too loud!!
Budget wise not too sure. Say £100-£150.
OK, next step, do you want one with built in effects or one that’s simply an amp with a clean and a distortion channel?
I already have ideas in mind so what I say will depend totally on your answer to this question.
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 07:01:42 pm »
Alongside all of those are a multitude of amps from Fender (including the "new" versions of the Mustang series), Marshall, Blackstar. Peavy etc etc etc. The list will go on and on and on. If you search Youtube you'll find some good videos on shootouts/comparisons between these amps so I urge you to do that.

What about this one? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3304111559641461/

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 07:02:27 pm »
OK, next step, do you want one with built in effects or one that’s simply an amp with a clean and a distortion channel?
I already have ideas in mind so what I say will depend totally on your answer to this question.
Not too bothered about effects to be honest. This is all new to me!!

Offline adi_mrok

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:11 pm »
Take Katana 50 thats what I have and am pretty happy about it. They also seem to hold to their price if you decide to sell it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline lasombra

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 09:22:17 pm »
I have a small Fender Mustang LT25 and I love it. The built-in effects will have you busy for ages and it's small, cheap and quite loud.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 09:24:38 pm »
What about this one? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3304111559641461/

NO.

No to Fender Frontman 10 or Yamaha GA10 or Marshall MG10 or any of those.
Let me take a look for you ...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 09:48:24 pm »
Fender Mustang II v2 £150 buy it now or best offer click

Boss Katana 50 £120 start price auction click

Roland Cube 10GX Buy it Now £75 or best offer (definitely make an offer and bargain down if you fancy this) click

Roland Cube 80XL £95 auction start or £179 buy it now click

Blackstar ID14 TVP £140 click

Peavey Vypyr VIPI £85 click

Roland Cube 20GX £80 click

Blackstar ID30 TVP ££150 click

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »

Yes, you do want at least a few built in effects (minimum reverb).
Trust me.

You do not want an amp with no options and the need to buy pedals later.
An amp with fx can teach you how to use some simple effects.

Offline adi_mrok

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 09:51:11 pm »
If you are after the used ones check gumtree as well cause it saves you a hassle of bidding and there are some good offers as well

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 04:51:31 am »
OK, that’s the right way to be! There’s plenty of choice but I would say that effects just cloud your head and provide too much of a distraction!
Look for Orange crush amps - what you can afford! Black star Fly - don’t let the size fool you, look at reviews on YT  and Second hand Yamaha THR, Roland Cube, Anything Orange - but ask us first before you buy!

Offline mkgolfer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 08:26:13 pm »
Hi Stuart,
I just got to play/test both the Fender Mustang GTX 50 and the Katana MKII 50 at my local guitar store.  I was looking for something that had good tone at low volumes and because I am a beginner as well, I did not want to spend a ton of money.  Here is what I found:
Fender GTX 50:
Ok tones - sounded a bit muffled/muted
You have to scroll thru the amp models until you find one close to your liking the tweak it accordingly.
Here in the US, the Fender was $379.

Katana MKII 50:
good tones at low volumes - the 1/2 watt is useless, but the 25 watt setting at low volumes still produced good tone
easy to get the basic amp model then using the EQ, volumes and dirt yield good tones without much messing around with amp models
Here in the US, the Katana MKII 50 is $229.

Both are good amps for a beginner, I just found the Katana to have good tones at low volumes and much easier and quicker to use without having to spend time scrolling thru dozens of amp models to get a sound you like.  For me, spend less time messing around with amp models and spend more time practicing! 

Cheers and hope this helps.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 05:23:36 pm »
Thank you to all for your replies. Not decided which way to go yet but will keep you posted.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 11:37:48 am »
By way of an update I will be picking up this amp (Roland Cube 20GX £80 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/312602596572599/) tomorrow morning - £60 cash!!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 05:04:19 am »
By way of an update I will be picking up this amp (Roland Cube 20GX £80 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/312602596572599/) tomorrow morning - £60 cash!!
Nice one, enjoy!!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App