Author Topic: Looking at your fretting hand  (Read 329 times)

Offline Goffik

• Good Vibes 0
Looking at your fretting hand
« on: June 29, 2020, 02:11:54 pm »
Greetings guys and gals,

I'm very much still a beginner. I've been messing with guitars for some years, but only fairly recently have I put real effort into proper learning. I've completed grade one of Justin's new beginners course so have a good grasp of the open chords, and can happily play along with most songs that use them. (I have the PC version of the app Justin's mobile app is based on.)

But here's the thing. If I play while looking directly at my fretting hand, seeing where my fingers are going, perhaps trying to improve a little if I see obvious errors, I find I constantly bugger things up! Even if I'm not trying to improve, just looking at that hand seems to introduce mistakes. Yet when looking anywhere else, I can play along near perfectly with hardly any mistakes at all.

I'm guessing this is some kind of psychological thing, but is it common? Any tips on how to get around it? Obviously being able to play without staring at your hand is a good thing, but at the same time as a learner I kind of need to in order to improve technique.

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 203
Re: Looking at your fretting hand
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:37:07 pm »
When learnings a new technique you should do it slow and perfect so looking
to make sure you're doing it correctly is OK.
Once you have learnt it and you can do it without looking stop looking.
Your ears will tell you when you're making mistakes you eyes will lie to you.
This is why your making more mistakes when looking at your fingers.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:57:27 pm »
A friend of mine who's now been playing for nearly 60 years and has done lots of live gigs in bands or latterly on his own, recommended playing in a dark room. He said on a stage being able to see what you are doing is pretty rare - obviously down to the venue, guess he played in some dark and dingy dives - but learning to play without seeing really enforces accuracy. Its quite hard to begin with and I've not done it a lot recently but take a track you are familiar with, close you eyes and play.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:50:54 am »
It's time and experience mostly. Not looking at the fret board at all is the best way to start, and keep doing it.

Play your chords and certain songs often enough and there comes a point where you forget you're even changing from one to the other. You end up working your way through a song via the lyrics and playing dynamics, rather than the mechanics of playing.

All players fudge notes and chords. You just don't notice it with the good players, they keep going as if nothing's happened.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 04:16:21 am »
It doesn't matter. Look where ever the heck you want. You'll figure out where and how to focus your attention eventually. Play in front of a mirror if you have to.

Offline Goffik

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:00:45 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses. I won't bother turning the light on for tonight's practice. :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:07:51 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses. I won't bother turning the light on for tonight's practice. :)

Join the club we are all in the dark  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 09:07:41 am »
don't worry!

I also want my chord work to be better but it only happens when you practice the hard parts too :)

Trust me, keep on playing and it will come.

You're in a phase where you match what you feel, what you see and what you hear together.
Those are 3 different things. You need time to match what is good and what is not.

The higher I go on the fretboard, the more I have to look to it.
That normal, as I jam chords while singing a lot but I'm not a lead guy.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App