Author Topic: Rust to Restoration - first time I played bass in public.  (Read 736 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Rust to Restoration - first time I played bass in public.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:44 am »
I doubt I'll ever be a Victor Wooten.  :(

or Geddy Lee.

Finished watching the Netflix documentary about Rush, hence the Lee reference. What a bass player and some spectacular progressive hard rock.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:44 pm »
Wow you are definitely the dream Maggie! Nice job on the bass! Skotty was fire! :D \m/ Great song that had me tap my feet all the way! :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 08:41:31 pm »
Hey Maggie, that was ace! Regardless of what you say I could tell that you had a lot of fun! That guy was on 🔥 🔥 🔥, he just has to be infectious with his attitude! Rock on and have fun!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 02:44:31 am »
Wow you are definitely the dream Maggie! Nice job on the bass! Skotty was fire! :D \m/ Great song that had me tap my feet all the way! :)

Thanks very much Bala. It's a cracker of a song. I love the line 'the only thing that runs is memories through my mind'

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 02:46:04 am »
Hey Maggie, that was ace! Regardless of what you say I could tell that you had a lot of fun! That guy was on 🔥 🔥 🔥, he just has to be infectious with his attitude! Rock on and have fun!

Thankyou Darrell, it was fun and scary, but fun more than anything. I didn't want to let Skotty down by mucking up.

Good to see you here, does this mean you are improving?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:57 am »
It’s slow progress Maggie but things are getting better. I’m now about a week away from being completely off Pharma medication but withdrawal is hard. I’m off painkillers and have been for a couple of months now because they were making me very ill. It’s a strange feeling to have how I feel now, still in quite a bit of pain but more me - it’s like coming out of a fog! I’m only using natural things to help with it now, CBD products being the main one (it’s a pity THC is illegal here in the uk, just 3-5% would make a huge difference!). But valerian, lavender and chamomile plus 5-HTP make the difference. I’m hoping to be somewhere near to normal as I’m going to get by September sometime. So hopefully I can get back in the saddle properly!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 06:30:56 pm »
Maggie, this is just super.  Reminds me of a butterfly breaking loose and taking flight.  Your expressions say it all.  Saw you sing along too.  You should have had a mic. Really enjoyed this performance.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 07:48:10 pm »
I think you stole the show. You're mesmerizing. The bass could've been louder, but you sounded great!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 02:36:11 am »
It’s slow progress Maggie but things are getting better. I’m now about a week away from being completely off Pharma medication but withdrawal is hard. I’m off painkillers and have been for a couple of months now because they were making me very ill. It’s a strange feeling to have how I feel now, still in quite a bit of pain but more me - it’s like coming out of a fog! I’m only using natural things to help with it now, CBD products being the main one (it’s a pity THC is illegal here in the uk, just 3-5% would make a huge difference!). But valerian, lavender and chamomile plus 5-HTP make the difference. I’m hoping to be somewhere near to normal as I’m going to get by September sometime. So hopefully I can get back in the saddle properly!

Yep THC is illegal in most of our states too. Such a useful resource I wish you had it available Darrell. I do so wish you Well.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 02:40:23 am »
Maggie, this is just super.  Reminds me of a butterfly breaking loose and taking flight.  Your expressions say it all.  Saw you sing along too.  You should have had a mic. Really enjoyed this performance.

Dave what a lovely thing to say, you're closer to the truth than you know. Thankyou for your comment.  I wanted to sing harmony in the chorus, but we didn't have enough time to practise so that I felt confident I could coordinate both guitar and singing and do it well for Skotty.  Next time I'll sing.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 02:42:22 am »
I think you stole the show. You're mesmerizing. The bass could've been louder, but you sounded great!

Oh Lynn what a generous thing to say. I feel so encouraged by your words, thankyou.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 08:57:47 am »
Damn this is rock 'n' roll!
Always a delight to see you in action and even though you had your setbacks, you find a way.
You are an inspiration to many!
This truly gave me a smile on my face and made my morning.
Can't wait to get back on the stage myself after seeing this video.

I don't know this Skotty guy but he seems a genuine warm fella.
What a cool song by the way!

Bass is fun right?!
I used to underestimate it.
I picked up bass myself becasue the company band already has 2 guitar players now and I seem the only one confident enough to do vocals, guitar ànd bass :p
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 01:04:18 am »
Damn this is rock 'n' roll!
Always a delight to see you in action and even though you had your setbacks, you find a way.
You are an inspiration to many!
This truly gave me a smile on my face and made my morning.
Can't wait to get back on the stage myself after seeing this video.

I don't know this Skotty guy but he seems a genuine warm fella.
What a cool song by the way!

Bass is fun right?!
I used to underestimate it.
I picked up bass myself because the company band already has 2 guitar players now and I seem the only one confident enough to do vocals, guitar and bass :p

So kind of you Lieven, thankyou and yes I'm determined to find a way, always. I'm glad it made you smile and fired up your enthusiasm to perform again. You're right about Skotty, he's is a warm, generous, genuine and a whole lot more. As I said in an earlier post, the combination of the folk in this forum, Justin's lessons and Skotty has seen me achieve things I didn't even dream of 3 years ago.

I love bass and hope to get back to playing it by the end of the year. Very impressed with your multi-talented versatility.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 07:23:35 am »
Maggie that was Good  ;) very GOOD

Listened a couple of days back but finally got round to posting comments. Thought you did a grand job on the bass, specially having to pick back up after the "interval". And it looks like you have a great teacher there if his enthusiasm, energy and talents are anything to go by. Hope things are moving in the right directions with your injuries. Certainly inspiring performance to everyone here on the forum.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 09:20:42 am »
Wow I just found this Maggie, what a great opportunity and you killed it! (In a good way)
Bravo for getting up there and bravo at your bass playing, it was really good and you were in the groove!  Scotty is the kinda guy I would love to have a late night jam with!
Many years ago my niece was an up and coming young singer she had a band and the bass player left. The guitar player was my music teacher at school.  They had gigs lined up for the next few months, twice a week at a big restaurant.  I got a call one night asking, begging me to play bass in the band. I agreed and we had a rehearsal and we were good.  I had to learn 40 songs very quickly and because she sung a lot of I don't know stuff like Dixie chicks etc, the bass lines were suprisingly tuff. Anyway I did months of gigs even got featured in a tv add for the place.  I forgot my point but I anyway it was was fun.   I was young and had no fear...wish I was like that now. 
Loved seeing you up there Maggie!

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Get The Forum As A Mobile App