Author Topic: Rust to Restoration - first time I played bass in public.  (Read 4162 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
Rust to Restoration (original). I felt so proud and honoured to be sharing the stage with Skotty at one of his gigs. Even more proud and bug eyed that he wrote this song for me during last year when I couldn't play guitar for some months due to injury. My return to playing was frustratingly slow and painful. I told him I felt like a big V8 with a tank full of high octane and all I could do was spin my wheels and go nowhere. This was his response. He wanted me to be part of the performance, so gave me a simple bass line to play as I couldn't play much on the guitar at this stage of recovery.

Rust to Restoration

Down the back of an overgrown yard
What some might call a wreck
The only thing runnin’ is memories through my mind
Yes I’m kissed by rust, ran last I don’t know when
But I know this engine’s still got miles left     

My beauty is so timeless
My drive shaft and these tyres
Still get me to anywhere I want to go
There’s life left in this body of mine
My clutch and choke and wirings fine
Fine enough to let this engine rev

From rust to restoration, that’s where I’m gonna go
Put it back together piece by piece
And get it back on the road
I got a nice new leather smell inside
Racing stripes on the top and sides
Hot pink finish with my chrome all sparkle shiny

New rims two-inch fatty wide Good Years
Holdin’ up the real steel vintage chassis     
New brake pads, rubber bushes that bounce
My steering so aligned I can’t veer an ounce     
Buffer out the wear and tear
Powder coated pink for flair, mirror finish glossy glare
Upgrade to conditioned air
Bucket seats what a treat new pedals for ya feet
Skull shaped gear stick and I’m ready to burn

My beauty is so timeless

Now my motors really hummin’
And I got my go go get
Best years on the road lay up ahead
I’m turnin’ heads everywhere I go
And I’m loud enough to wake the dead
And I make my mark on the places I go
With burnt rubber and tyre tread.

My beauty is so timeless

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:36:32 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
Re: Rust to Restoration - first time I played bass in public.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:08:34 am »
Wow, that was great. It was full of energy and you did a great job on bass, especially when you got interrupted and had to restart.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:33:39 am »
Wow, that was great. It was full of energy and you did a great job on bass, especially when you got interrupted and had to restart.

Cheers,

Keith

That's so kind of you Keith. It was a happy day, though about an hour before I joined Skotty I was sick with terror. I have a 'rule' that I must accept all opportunities even if I'm scared. Hope you're finding ways to make life meaningful and fulfilling.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:59:32 am »
That's so kind of you Keith. It was a happy day, though about an hour before I joined Skotty I was sick with terror. I have a 'rule' that I must accept all opportunities even if I'm scared.

I understand that feeling well Maggie: I've done a bit of amateur acting and understand that dread feeling and sickness before you go on. But I think it's good for the soul to be out of one's comfort zone and, at the end of the day, even if you miss a note or fluff a line, no one dies. I think your description "meaningful and fulfilling" are spot on.

Hope you're finding ways to make life meaningful and fulfilling.p

I'm in a bit of a hiatus in that regard given my current situation, but it is temporary. And, prior to Singapore and COVID-19, I spent most of the previous 6 months in Tokyo which was alien, daunting, at times uncomfortable but, also, an amazing place to spend any time in. Ultimately I had a blast and made loads of friends, ate some amazing (and some gross) food, visited some wonderful places, had some crazy experiences, and learned enough of the language to get by. So, I can't really complain. Life ebbs and flows.

And I have got a cheap guitar in my apartment now, which will provide some enrichment, assuming I get time to use it.

Back to the topic in hand, how long have you been playing the bass and how are you finding it compared to the guitar?

Cheers,

Keith

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:56 am »
Wow Maggie, those words of Skotty at the intro are so on point ... becoming the dream. I loved watching this and am so thrilled for you having the opportunity.
:)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 12:29:59 pm »
Oh Maggie, that was great!! :) When did this gig take place? :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 12:35:54 pm »
I remember you telling us about this song last year!
This is such a great song and the performance makes it even better. So much energy and positivity!
Congratulations on your first bass gig! To many more!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 02:53:20 pm »
Maggie, so glad you decided to post this here. Such a wonderful, memorable milestone and a cracking good song. Singer, songwriter, guitarist and now bassist; simply inspirational. Here's to living rather than dreaming the dream !!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:23 am »
I understand that feeling well Maggie: I've done a bit of amateur acting and understand that dread feeling and sickness before you go on. But I think it's good for the soul to be out of one's comfort zone and, at the end of the day, even if you miss a note or fluff a line, no one dies. I think your description "meaningful and fulfilling" are spot on.

I'm in a bit of a hiatus in that regard given my current situation, but it is temporary. And, prior to Singapore and COVID-19, I spent most of the previous 6 months in Tokyo which was alien, daunting, at times uncomfortable but, also, an amazing place to spend any time in. Ultimately I had a blast and made loads of friends, ate some amazing (and some gross) food, visited some wonderful places, had some crazy experiences, and learned enough of the language to get by. So, I can't really complain. Life ebbs and flows.

And I have got a cheap guitar in my apartment now, which will provide some enrichment, assuming I get time to use it.

Back to the topic in hand, how long have you been playing the bass and how are you finding it compared to the guitar?

Cheers,

Keith

Gosh Keith what a rich experience you've had in Tokyo. I agree with you that discomfort, even alien environments and situations can be a wonderful way to stretch and grow. Good song writing material. Glad  you have a guitar to play and I do hope you get the time for it.

How long have I played bass? About 2 minutes.  ;D

I began with Justin and guitar, then got besotted with the sound of a bass, so bought a cheapie. Added it to my learning then injury in January 2019 stopped everything. I was beginning to get back to both guitar and bass late last year, then injured myself again, so there was a chunk of this year where I couldn't play at all. I've used the time to learn a bit about using a DAW and know enough now to know how little I know.  :o  I can't play bass as yet, but am playing guitar in a limited way.

I don't have enough hours in the day to learn all I want to, but to answer the rest of your question, I lean towards guitar as my primary instrument and intend putting time into bass once I can play it again. I doubt I'll ever be a Victor Wooten.  :(

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 02:21:51 am »
Wow Maggie, those words of Skotty at the intro are so on point ... becoming the dream. I loved watching this and am so thrilled for you having the opportunity.
:)

Thanks Richard. Justin's lessons, this community and Skotty have been powerful influences and encouragers. It was a scary, wonderful day.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 02:23:00 am »
Oh Maggie, that was great!! :) When did this gig take place? :)

Thanks Max. It was late November 2019. Haven't heard from you for a while, I do hope all is well with you.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 02:23:51 am »
Maggie, so glad you decided to post this here. Such a wonderful, memorable milestone and a cracking good song. Singer, songwriter, guitarist and now bassist; simply inspirational. Here's to living rather than dreaming the dream !!

Generous of you David, yeah living the dream sure is a possibility.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:24:45 am »
I remember you telling us about this song last year!
This is such a great song and the performance makes it even better. So much energy and positivity!
Congratulations on your first bass gig! To many more!

Thanks so much glp. It sure was a blast.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 03:38:11 am »
That was pretty special, my head is spinning. Skotty has the kind of energy reserved for prize fighters and marathon runners -- bottle some of that up for me, would ya? And you're having more fun than can be expected within the limits of the law. Such a great track, really dug it.   

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 04:33:02 am »
That was pretty special, my head is spinning. Skotty has the kind of energy reserved for prize fighters and marathon runners -- bottle some of that up for me, would ya? And you're having more fun than can be expected within the limits of the law. Such a great track, really dug it.   

Yeah he pumps out a lot of wattage, whatever he doing. He has a way of getting every bit of juice out of a day. During lockdown he built a half pipe skate ramp in some of the studio. The rest was for music and Zoom lessons. During the Christmas vacation the entire studio was filled by a ramp he built.

Glad you got a buzz from it. 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:44 am »
I doubt I'll ever be a Victor Wooten.  :(

or Geddy Lee.

Finished watching the Netflix documentary about Rush, hence the Lee reference. What a bass player and some spectacular progressive hard rock.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:44 pm »
Wow you are definitely the dream Maggie! Nice job on the bass! Skotty was fire! :D \m/ Great song that had me tap my feet all the way! :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 08:41:31 pm »
Hey Maggie, that was ace! Regardless of what you say I could tell that you had a lot of fun! That guy was on 🔥 🔥 🔥, he just has to be infectious with his attitude! Rock on and have fun!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 02:44:31 am »
Wow you are definitely the dream Maggie! Nice job on the bass! Skotty was fire! :D \m/ Great song that had me tap my feet all the way! :)

Thanks very much Bala. It's a cracker of a song. I love the line 'the only thing that runs is memories through my mind'

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 02:46:04 am »
Hey Maggie, that was ace! Regardless of what you say I could tell that you had a lot of fun! That guy was on 🔥 🔥 🔥, he just has to be infectious with his attitude! Rock on and have fun!

Thankyou Darrell, it was fun and scary, but fun more than anything. I didn't want to let Skotty down by mucking up.

Good to see you here, does this mean you are improving?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:57 am »
It’s slow progress Maggie but things are getting better. I’m now about a week away from being completely off Pharma medication but withdrawal is hard. I’m off painkillers and have been for a couple of months now because they were making me very ill. It’s a strange feeling to have how I feel now, still in quite a bit of pain but more me - it’s like coming out of a fog! I’m only using natural things to help with it now, CBD products being the main one (it’s a pity THC is illegal here in the uk, just 3-5% would make a huge difference!). But valerian, lavender and chamomile plus 5-HTP make the difference. I’m hoping to be somewhere near to normal as I’m going to get by September sometime. So hopefully I can get back in the saddle properly!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 06:30:56 pm »
Maggie, this is just super.  Reminds me of a butterfly breaking loose and taking flight.  Your expressions say it all.  Saw you sing along too.  You should have had a mic. Really enjoyed this performance.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 07:48:10 pm »
I think you stole the show. You're mesmerizing. The bass could've been louder, but you sounded great!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 02:36:11 am »
It’s slow progress Maggie but things are getting better. I’m now about a week away from being completely off Pharma medication but withdrawal is hard. I’m off painkillers and have been for a couple of months now because they were making me very ill. It’s a strange feeling to have how I feel now, still in quite a bit of pain but more me - it’s like coming out of a fog! I’m only using natural things to help with it now, CBD products being the main one (it’s a pity THC is illegal here in the uk, just 3-5% would make a huge difference!). But valerian, lavender and chamomile plus 5-HTP make the difference. I’m hoping to be somewhere near to normal as I’m going to get by September sometime. So hopefully I can get back in the saddle properly!

Yep THC is illegal in most of our states too. Such a useful resource I wish you had it available Darrell. I do so wish you Well.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 02:40:23 am »
Maggie, this is just super.  Reminds me of a butterfly breaking loose and taking flight.  Your expressions say it all.  Saw you sing along too.  You should have had a mic. Really enjoyed this performance.

Dave what a lovely thing to say, you're closer to the truth than you know. Thankyou for your comment.  I wanted to sing harmony in the chorus, but we didn't have enough time to practise so that I felt confident I could coordinate both guitar and singing and do it well for Skotty.  Next time I'll sing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App