Author Topic: Times of unrest  (Read 416 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Times of unrest
« on: June 27, 2020, 05:12:10 pm »
Hey all,

I know you all would be aware of all the chaos happening in the US. So my bassist and I decided we put together a playlist of cover songs that were written for times like these. We had 3 songs in mind and I was going to do two other solo and with my fiancee. But 5 songs all at once seemed rather difficult and it would be too much anyways. However here are two of the 5 covers. Hope you enjoy.

*Spoiler* I'm very excited about the 3rd song though. It's a personal favorite and a lot of people here have said they love the song ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-T7z2S-lC4&list=PL4WvY05FYn4Q3xfgNoq3Oe5BfyNqxwhCs&index=2&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tH-Q2T_Ec&list=PL4WvY05FYn4Q3xfgNoq3Oe5BfyNqxwhCs&index=2

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Times of unrest
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:44:56 pm »
Enjoyed both of these, Bala, Zombie in particular.

I know looking the part is not going to contribute to how one lays and sings ... or maybe it does somehow influence one's psyche and help unleash the performer ... but have to say you are looking the part now. Playing seems to have kicked up a gear since before your travels and your singing is just great.

You are going to do great when the conditions ease and live shows are again possible.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:33:27 pm »
Enjoyed both of these, Bala, Zombie in particular.

I know looking the part is not going to contribute to how one lays and sings ... or maybe it does somehow influence one's psyche and help unleash the performer ... but have to say you are looking the part now. Playing seems to have kicked up a gear since before your travels and your singing is just great.

You are going to do great when the conditions ease and live shows are again possible.

Hey David! Thank you for the listen and kind words. Looking the part might add to a live performance but I'm particular about it while recording covers as you might have seen from my older videos. I do it under the insistence of my sister. To be honest though it does kinda keep me in the performance knowingly or unknowingly. So I guess it was a good thing ;) You're gonna love the next one! :D And I cant wait to play live again!

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:43:07 pm »
You guys look to be having a lot of fun playing the heck out of the music that you dig. Nothing can beat that. The passion comes through loud and clear. Keep doing what you're doing, you're picking up a nice following that is sure to grow as you guys continue to release new stuff. Really happy for you and your band. 

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:47:15 am »
Bala, Nice.   I really liked Gimme That Power.  Nice to see Patrick so animated.  I didn't understand a word of it, but I think you two did a nice job of it and the mix sounded good.  Not so keen on Zombie, but that's just personal preference.  Keep going for the gold.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:03:03 am »
You guys look to be having a lot of fun playing the heck out of the music that you dig. Nothing can beat that. The passion comes through loud and clear. Keep doing what you're doing, you're picking up a nice following that is sure to grow as you guys continue to release new stuff. Really happy for you and your band.

Thank you CT. I’m surely having fun! Been sort of a dream to be able to play with people. 😊

Bala, Nice.   I really liked Gimme That Power.  Nice to see Patrick so animated.  I didn't understand a word of it, but I think you two did a nice job of it and the mix sounded good.  Not so keen on Zombie, but that's just personal preference.  Keep going for the gold.

Thank you Dave. I enjoyed doing gimme tha power too since there was no real lesson for the song so I had to learn it by ear and improvise some stuff on it. The song is about police violence and was huge in Mexico. The band has quite a following. My bassist is half Mexican and we perform this one live. It’s kind of a people’s favorite among the Latin American friends of ours. In fact it was such a hit that we wanted to go play Mexican bars with a Latin American set list. It’s still in our plans.

As for zombie, I like the song and it’s message but not much happening musically. Too much distortion for me. Love the acoustic version though. Crowd loves it though so we keep it in our repertoire. 😊

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 06:34:23 am »
My bassist is half Mexican and we perform this one live. It’s kind of a people’s favorite among the Latin American friends of ours. In fact it was such a hit that we wanted to go play Mexican bars with a Latin American set list. It’s still in our plans.

Crowd loves it though so we keep it in our repertoire. 😊

You're doing  a clever thing Bala in creating your set lists - being aware of what your audience love and giving them more of what they and you connect with, which to me is what music is all about. A great way of building a fan base.

Really wonderful to see you flourish.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 08:18:42 am »
Great to see your progress buddy, keep rocking on!!!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 01:34:39 pm »
You're doing  a clever thing Bala in creating your set lists - being aware of what your audience love and giving them more of what they and you connect with, which to me is what music is all about. A great way of building a fan base.

Really wonderful to see you flourish.

Thank you for the kind words Maggie! It’s so true what you said. As much as I’d love to cover every single Beatles song there is (that would make people happy too I believe), it’s fun to play to an audience. Music is always made for everyone to enjoy 😊

Great to see your progress buddy, keep rocking on!!!

Thank you Darrell! It’s such a fun ride 😊

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 05:22:32 pm »
Great playing and performing. Like OH said, Patrick was really into it. I like it when performer is really involved with the music. Yeah, my fave was Zombie. I remember that one from Justin’s BSB. It was a fun song.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 02:09:51 am »
Great playing and performing. Like OH said, Patrick was really into it. I like it when performer is really involved with the music. Yeah, my fave was Zombie. I remember that one from Justin’s BSB. It was a fun song.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Thank you for the kind comments Pam. Patrick sure is an animated performer! He’s very fun to hang out with and even more fun jamming with. Also, I didn’t know Justin had a lesson on zombie! I should probably check it out. Might have some helpful tips that can up my playing. :)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:01:59 pm »
I really liked Gimme tha power. That sounded great, liked the 16th note thing in the intro, and the harmony is cool. Liked the heavy treatment of zombie, too.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 10:59:04 pm »
I really liked Gimme tha power. That sounded great, liked the 16th note thing in the intro, and the harmony is cool. Liked the heavy treatment of zombie, too.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thank you Lynn. Quite a challenge that 16th note intro. Glad it came out okay :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 11:03:09 am »
Sorry Bala,

I viewed Gimme Shelter before this and you already received the vibes I would have given you for this today :P

Zombie: I was living in Ireland when this came out, and like millions around the world, loved it. Unfortunately, it was played to death and although it still brings a smile to my face occasionally, even a proficient cover like you guys have, doesn't do it for me.
My problem, not yours  :(

You make up for this in spades, however with your Molotov cocktail 
It's a good job it's in Spanish, otherwise you might have Richard kickin' yer booty for political statements and offensive language. Patrick does a great job on vox.
Classy cover. Made me check out the original and has inspired me.
A fellow forum member, Roland, shared a song in Spanish a while ago, despite not speaking the language, which I thought was novel and impressive.
I learned a little for a year in school (40 years ago!) and have been contemplating having a go...
You may have just pushed me over the edge!  ;)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
Sorry Bala,

I viewed Gimme Shelter before this and you already received the vibes I would have given you for this today :P

Zombie: I was living in Ireland when this came out, and like millions around the world, loved it. Unfortunately, it was played to death and although it still brings a smile to my face occasionally, even a proficient cover like you guys have, doesn't do it for me.
My problem, not yours  :(

You make up for this in spades, however with your Molotov cocktail 
It's a good job it's in Spanish, otherwise you might have Richard kickin' yer booty for political statements and offensive language. Patrick does a great job on vox.
Classy cover. Made me check out the original and has inspired me.
A fellow forum member, Roland, shared a song in Spanish a while ago, despite not speaking the language, which I thought was novel and impressive.
I learned a little for a year in school (40 years ago!) and have been contemplating having a go...
You may have just pushed me over the edge!  ;)

Haha thank you for the honest feedback Brian. Zombie was a hit during our live show and since it had the message we wanted to share, we did it. However we did it a whole step down during the gig so my vocals came through better and the song by itself was heavier.
As for Molotov that was a crowd pleaser too. And I know zero Spanish. But ever since teaming up with Patrick I just picked up the chorus lyrics to a few songs to provide backing vocals. I have a good ear for languages 😊 looking forward to your Spanish song 😊🤘🏾

Get The Forum As A Mobile App