Author Topic: Mixing Competition - Produce Like a Pro  (Read 1515 times)

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
Re: Mixing Competition - Produce Like a Pro
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:43 pm »
Gosh, work took over and didn't have time to work on this tune. Might revive this thread in a month when I finish the current project (at least some work is back!).

Good luck to all of you and keep us updated 8)!

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2020, 07:14:58 pm »
I think today is the results day! I know all of you did it for fun but still, I hope you guys have won 8)!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 11:27:50 pm »
Hiya peeps

Managed to dive into the livestream/cast thingy whatever these things are called.

Looks like none of us JGC folks featured in the top three but hey, did not expect to anyway. But interestingly I hit the broadcast just after the 3rd place song had been played and was listening to the comments on why these tracks made the top three. The impression I got from Hemmings is that they resembled his original. Not to paraphrase but he was saying everything was where he expected it to be and they were how he mixed and produced it ?

Ok so for me that screamed "What was the point". I did not listen to the original until I had completed my mix/production. And even if I had I would still have produced something that reflected my personality and preferences. So don't really see the point of a competition based on the ethos of "Do what I do".

Anyway, end result is I did not feature as expected. Spent a load of many hours producing a track, that would have been off base ala "Hemming". However, did I get something out of the process ? Yes.
Would I do it again ? Yes.

From a competition perspective and I guess that's down to who does the eventual judging, this seems a long way off from Justin's WCAS Adrenaline mix competition (2016 ?), where creativity and self expression was encouraged.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/adrenaline-remix

I've not listened to the tracks that came 1st and 3rd but IMHO the JGC entries were up there, as the 2nd place track seemed nothing special. That's no spilt milk, just what my old ears are telling me,

So if PLAP ever launch another competition, I'll listen to the original track and then try and replicate it. There again maybe not as that sound super boring. Sorry PLAP I wanna do my own thing and put my spirit into something not just morph another duplicate cover.

You live and learn.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:00 pm »
A musical competition that's very subjective and along the lines of a beauty contest? Where have I heard that before? LOL

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2020, 08:13:04 am »
Thanks for the feedback on the results announcement, Toby. Maybe ... hopefully I'll get an email with an announcement of the results in due course and I will go and listen to the winning entry, out of curiousity.

My own after-the-event comments, since the thread has been (to my surprise this morning) resusitated.

Firstly, much like my participation in the community contests, I entered solely because it was an opportunity to produce something and get some feedback.

In the case of Justin's, it included feedback from Justin himself ... not to minimise the feedback from the community members and mods, but feedback from Justin. And I have to confess, I got a little kick out of telling folks at work who listen to my recordings that I'd got feedback from a pro who supported Katie Melua, is one of the best online teachers in the world, etc. The winning was never the biggest thing, but also can't lie and say sometimes I wondered about the criteria, and had to work through a little disappointment, which in the quest of greater self-mastery, ego-maturity, was a win in itself. And equally can't say what a thrill it was to eventually be picked to be a winner and the lesson was a huge boost in my journey. And as an aside, I am beyond fortunate to have been recognised again, and to have a second lesson with Justin ... I have to pinch myself at times as I count my blessings and thoughts that I haven't done anything so special as to be deserving.

In this case, no feedback from the anybody on the organising panel, which would have been great but I guess the volume of entries makes that impossible. I don't think I got any feedback from other contestants either, assuming that I would have got some notification via email if somebody had commented on my entry.

But I did get feedback here which was informative and encouraging.

And it was a good experience to work with a different song, a much bigger project in terms of the number of tracks, just through having to organise the production, gain stage, mix etc.

My own take was pretty much down the same road as the original. Toby, forgive me for saying this, but I felt yours was similar in broad strokes to mine with some pesonal touch and feel in the expression of the general idea. Keith on the other hand produced something that was different in arrangement. Perhaps not radically different, but I think notably different to the original.

I asked myself why I took the approach I took ...

I think my approach was shaped by the framing of the contest ie a mixing contest. With that in mind, my thinking was to work with the same arrangement and just to make "improvements" to the original mix. Which is a bit silly in retrospect since the rules did clearly provide for being quite radical in terms of the arrangement. I live and learn.

So if I become aware of future contests, then I will participate again. Provided that I relate to the song. I know there is that mantra about playing songs that are not your own taste to help learn (Toby often talks about playing Britney songs in the BC), so maybe I am missing a trick, but if the next song was an EDM or rap/hip-hop song, I'd be moving on within seconds of hearing that. Actually probably just the blurb about the artist would be enough to trigger my cut-and-run.

But next time, I will be more purposefully about opening my mind to the arrangement and possibilities to be a bit more creative.

Goodness, rather a lengthy post on a not-so-important topic, but hey I am what I am and can't help myself  ;D

So rock 'n roll, keep on playing, singing, recording, mixing, and producing ... learning and enjoying all those aspects of making music to share that floats your boat.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2020, 08:20:06 am »
Hey David yes that was a well deserved win for the Adrenaline Comp. Not expecting any feedback from the panel for this one but did get one comment from the Rate My Mix song thread, which was "great reverb".
So I pleased someone at least, so that pays dividends. Now I'll sit back a wait for the next Ms Spears mixing competition. ;)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:56 am »
Forgive me Toby ... got a bit carried away in my all-about-me monologue there and forgot (short attention span) about your Adrenaline remix.

That is a great production. Haven't listened to the original, what you had to work with, but thoroughly enjoyed listening to your track. Specifically loved the subtle accents in both left and right channels, both vocally and instruments, and the kick drum had fabulous tone.

Hope your missus is doing better and that you can find time and energy to make some music, while we wait for that next contest.

Stay well, safe, and rock 'n roll  8)

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:35 am »
Toby and David,

commiserations to you both.

I haven't heard the winning remixes, I may pluck up the courage to do so later.

Like you I entered the competition for the experience of mixing a song recorded by somebody else. My biggest obstacle was not liking the song and I didn't really warm to the producer either. That may have come out in my mix. 

However I learnt a lot from doing the competition and I may enter another if he runs one. Its not often you get the opportunity to remix a professionally recorded song.

I hope the way the competition was run hasn't put you both off.

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 10:26:34 am »
Toby and David,

Like you I entered the competition for the experience of mixing a song recorded by somebody else. My biggest obstacle was not liking the song and I didn't really warm to the producer either. That may have come out in my mix. 

However I learnt a lot from doing the competition and I may enter another if he runs one. Its not often you get the opportunity to remix a professionally recorded song.

Keith

Thanks Keith, though no commiserations were needed for me. I was happy to enter, enjoyed the process, the feedback here, and was not fussed about the actual contest itself ... the people, the running, the judging/result. As I said, as long as the song is not a absolute turn off for me, I'll enter again in the future for the mixing experience.

And once again, I enjoyed what you produced ... made me stop and think a bit.

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:12 am »
Thanks Keith, though no commiserations were needed for me. I was happy to enter, enjoyed the process, the feedback here, and was not fussed about the actual contest itself ... the people, the running, the judging/result. As I said, as long as the song is not a absolute turn off for me, I'll enter again in the future for the mixing experience.

And once again, I enjoyed what you produced ... made me stop and think a bit.

David, I hope you do the next competition. Mixing is so much fun. Although Lee Scatch Perry may have had too much influence on me to be successful :)

Keith

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2020, 04:40:24 pm »
Forgive me Toby ... got a bit carried away in my all-about-me monologue there and forgot (short attention span) about your Adrenaline remix.

That is a great production. Haven't listened to the original, what you had to work with, but thoroughly enjoyed listening to your track. Specifically loved the subtle accents in both left and right channels, both vocally and instruments, and the kick drum had fabulous tone.

Hope your missus is doing better and that you can find time and energy to make some music, while we wait for that next contest.

Stay well, safe, and rock 'n roll  8)

David absolutely no apology needed. Justin's comp was my first attempt at mixing more than a backing track and my single guitar track, so it was a useful experiment dealing with all the different stems. Still like it but 4 years on I'd be more adventurous.

Wife's is still recovering from the 2nd attack around 6/7 weeks ago but brightened when the family were over for a fortnight. But she's still pretty wiped out. So each day as it comes.

Me, I relaunched this week !! Lots of stretching and dexterity work, followed by Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead work - I need the stretches for dem 12BBs. So yeah making noise and impro-ing over a couple of 11+ minute blues tracks and a 7 minute Floyd/Gilmour BT. Refining a few songs along side that but struggling with tempo/ But all is good.

You look after yourself and just keep doin wot ya doin !  8)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2020, 05:03:40 pm »
Toby and David,

Keith

Keith

To you as well but like David not needed here as I was not expecting to get anywhere but hey you never know. For me it was once again a learning experience. I avoided the original mix and just dropped  the myriad of tracks into Reaper, hit play and thought OUCH what a mess. I then proceeded to play each of the tracks individually to see what was making such a god awful racket. Hence my first cut being rather selective.

But I was surprised that in the end I used all bar one track, even those dodgy low vox and regardless where I featured in the competition, I was really happy that I turned a wall of noise into something I could listen to. Not saying I like what I heard and when I played the OT mix I cemented that feeling but it was a pigs ear silk purse moment regardless.

Now I'm with you in respect of the original, coz it was not my mug of Tetleys .........I'll leave it at that. And you can tell by my post result comments I'm with you relating to the producer, who the PLAP folk seemed to follow like a lost puppy but enough.

What I did like was your HLC spin on it all. You embodied less is more. So yeah roll on the next comp whoever it is bring it on. Expectations will be the same ie none but if you are having fun and learning new stuff, whats not to like. Simples.

You peeps have a great weekend.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App