Author Topic: Mixing Competition - Produce Like a Pro  (Read 801 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Mixing Competition - Produce Like a Pro
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 06:32:09 am »
Hopefully all 3 of us end up in the winners section on the album :P!

LOL ... well, I am not hoping like that.  My hope is that when I post the mix here, I get some encouraging, constructive critique and feedback that keeps me moving on the path to producing better mixes.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 10:01:27 am »
Keith

Listened to the first 30 seconds or so and its a great vibe. Like David I don't want to be influenced too much.

So I have now loaded all the stems/trucks/multi thingies into Reaper and am off to buy a 72 inch monitor for my PC. Last time I saw that many tracks it was on a map of the London Underground !!!!

To keep things manageable I added "master" Drum, Gtr, Bass and Vox tracks and inserted the family members accordingly. So guess I am now ready to go as time allows.

Boy those raw tracks on their own sound positively awful and messy when all loaded up together.
So some selective culling will be needed to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The only way is up .........................hopefully.

Cheers

Toby
 8) 
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 11:40:30 am »
LOL classic Toby "Last time I saw that many tracks it was on a map of the London Underground !!!!"

And I don't even understand some of the naming, specifically referring to the drums and how the tracks were recorded.  Maybe somebody in this little adventure smarter with more experience can clarify. Looks like recording a drum kit is an epic endeavour.

Super happy you are going to give it a go.  Going to be awesome to have (I think) 4 mixes here of this multitracks project. As I said to glp, I'm hoping to get useful feedback to grow.

Hmmm maybe we should be nudging the other old hands (Roman, LBro, OH) to mix it up. Would be interesting.

Roman could enter with an entry that could even be potentially a winner.  That of course is tricky since there are many different ways to approach this.

I'm essentially making a mix that will be like the album version, not trying anything super creative and different.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »
OK here we go but I hasten to add just an instrumental for now, I'll look at the vox tomorrow. Kept it simple using Waves TrueVerb, ReVerb, Abbey Road Chambers and Abbey Road Plates for the gtr tracks and Waves MaxxBass Mono and CLA Bass for the er you guessed it bass ! Not put any effects on the drums bar shutting tracks that don't float my boat and adjusting levels. Might overlay some Abbey Rd drum effects but happyish with it at the moment. Also nothing on the Master but that may come. Adding the vox may change everything but we'll see.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/plap-mixing-competition

Overall target was a kinda ethereal vibe but need to fine tune.

My starter for 10 as was once said on the Beeb. Shoot already got a like on SC, cushty  :)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 06:09:39 am »
Well done, Toby.

I look forward to listening to this once mine is done.  As I said, I don't want to be influenced or scared off by listening to yours before I post my effort.

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 09:35:41 am »
Toby, I liked the instrumental a lot.

How are coming on with your vocal mix?

David, I didn't use most of the drum tracks. As it says in The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, you take what you need and leave the rest. How's your mix coming along?

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 10:29:57 am »
David, I didn't use most of the drum tracks. As it says in The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, you take what you need and leave the rest. How's your mix coming along?

Keith

Keith,

This is a weekend project for me. I share the PC with my son and also have a principle of switching of TV, Tablet, computer about 9pm (aiming to promote better sleep). So no time to work on Reaper during the working week. Maybe that was TMI.

That said, last weekend, I completed a first pass of the mix. I will come back to it tomorrow and see how it sounds with fresh ears.

On the drums, the biggest question I have from memory would be to ask what the word "slate" meant in one of the tracks.  I understand what tracks labelled as a specific drum, overheads and room would be but wondered about "slate".  And maybe there some others.

So I should post up tomorrow ... will declare done tomorrow, irrespective ... not going to keep on polishing, irrespective as to whether such polishing would be smoothing rough edges or making it worse  :o

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 11:38:14 am »
Hi David,

its the drums with added reverb. Slate is one form of reverb, just like plate, spring, etc.

Hope that helps, although it may open another Pandora's box. When choosing a reverb from the many in my daw I just use my ears.

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 01:51:29 pm »
Hi David,

its the drums with added reverb. Slate is one form of reverb, just like plate, spring, etc.

Hope that helps, although it may open another Pandora's box. When choosing a reverb from the many in my daw I just use my ears.

Keith

Thanks Keith, good to know ... maybe if it had been spring or plate I might have made the connection.

I add my own, either Reaper stock or a well-reviewed free one, and also use my ears ... though my ears are still a work-in-progress and need lots more schooling and calibrating.

Given that I added reverb as well I shall have another listen to the slate track and drop it out.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 02:07:08 pm »
Hi David,

Keith
Out of interest, have you dabbled with gated reverb? Classic 80's! And, I understand, it's back in fashion.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 02:11:48 pm »
Toby, I liked the instrumental a lot.

How are coming on with your vocal mix?

Keith

Hey Keith thanks but its moved on since then, especially when I saw the solo wasn't loaded !!

Vsn III
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D71L39pxjrkVWue23RnALMcW4ND37_Rm/view?usp=sharing

Vsn IV with all tracks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBtrFLqmkdB8q6Muud2eXFPS-qfio9ll/view?usp=sharing

Had some issues with the vox as I found that Octave track gratting but assumed without adding your own 2 tracks you'd have to use all the originals. Up to about version 6 but its getting there. Maybe by close of play Sunday I'll have a finished article but at the moment its a bit muddy, so I am in the process of EQing the GTR tracks to add some punch and repanning where there feels an overlap. Once I'm happy with that I'll bring the vox back in again.

Watch this space.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Toby

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 02:13:35 pm »
Out of interest, have you dabbled with gated reverb? Classic 80's! And, I understand, it's back in fashion.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, I see you quoted Keith, so not feeling any weight of expectation that I should know what "gated reverb" is  :o But for interest sake, would appreciate it if you shared what that is.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 02:16:22 pm »
Hi David,

I would try to explain, but I'm in a restaurant in Clarke Quay at the moment. This video explains it better than I could:

https://youtu.be/Bxz6jShW-3E

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 02:17:34 pm »
Thanks Keith. I'll give that a watch later ...

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 11:32:57 am »

Cheers,

Keith

I did when I first started mixing years ago. It didn't really do very much for me so I didn't use it again. I've messed around with reverse reverb a little, that was much more interesting.

I might have a rethink but I'm fairly set in my ways.

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App