Author Topic: App vs Website  (Read 510 times)

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
App vs Website
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:52:44 pm »
I’m just a week into Justin’s beginner course, so just learnt the A and D chords so far

My question is, is it ‘worth’ paying for the beginner course app? Had a quick look and only difference I can see is the backing tracks to songs. The videos/lessons with Justin all seem to be on the website.

Am I missing something or is the cost mainly for licensing fees for the backing tracks?
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline Rille

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: App vs Website
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:31:45 pm »
I'm following the course on the website and use the app to sharpen my timing with the backing tracks. I will probably use the app for another year, and then I believe that I can manage without it.

Peace

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:02:01 pm »
Yeah that makes sense
Seems expensive to just use it for that tho
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline Danni515

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:44:22 pm »
I much prefer the app to the website.
I can't see of the website where to find songs with the chords written down!
I love how the app records my pogress without me having to write anything down.
I am still going through the website as well though.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 12:24:31 am »
Probably horses for courses but having completed the Classic BC many moons ago and using all of Justin wonderfully FREE lessons, I've just gone back to reacquaint myself with the new course - so I know wtf you newbies are talking about these day. The correlation between "classic" ie course for olduns and the "new" BCi s vast. Having been here for many years I have just bought the app more for contributing to all that Justin does for free. So I'm currently running the new course and app in parallel. And ok I'm skipping loads that I'm well and truly versed but I am finding the song element of the app very useful - I'm applying 3 string triads to these beginner songs - and like the way they are presented.

What I'd say is you can get all that you need off the website, New BC or Classic BC and onwards from there but if you compare what you would be paying in lessons for these freebies, you'd still be quids in (that's benefical pounds sterling benefit to those outside the UK) by purchasing the app and help Justin provide us with more content for gratis.

There's an old Yorkshire saying that you can't get owt for nowt but you can on Justin's website. Me I buy his products because its a way of saying thank you for this wonderful journey he leads us on ! Simples  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline olywasam

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:04:41 am »
I bought the app because I like playing to all the songs and want to put some money in Justin's pocket. I've been taking lessons on the app, too, out of convenience. How different are the lessons on the website?

I've popped onto the website a handful of times to lookup specific things (which strings to buy? what is fingerpicking?) but haven't followed the classes there.

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 08:27:44 pm »
To answer my own question somewhat...
I paid for the app, after trying it free for a couple of days. That was long enough to know it’s money well spent. The sheer number of songs on there alone is great, but I also find it easier to follow the lessons and keep track of my progress. It of course also has the 1 minute chords, sections etc in it too.

Well worth it for the app alone, but of course also to give some money back to Justin
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline Bigfeet

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 05:20:51 pm »
One think I really like about the practice part of the website, is being able to see the time I have spect practicing. But, you don't get this with the app. So, I made a 30 minute practice routine on the website and add it to my hours after I do 30 minutes on the app, simply as a way to keep tract. I wish the app did this and synced it to your account on the website, but Justin has provided so much for free, I wouldn't even ask.

I used to play the trumpet so I can play and listen to the music at the same time, and this along with the songs in the app have really helped me to play to the beat. In my opinion, the app is worth it for this alone.

BTW, I have only been playing since Christmas myself, hope the fingers get better soon.

Peter
I now know, the frustration of learning guitar will never end!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App