Author Topic: Songs from the Playroom (not the wood) Episode 2  (Read 2186 times)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Songs from the Playroom (not the wood) Episode 2
« on: June 20, 2020, 03:49:45 pm »
It's been longer than I wanted since the first of these pseudo open mic recordings. Took a while to learn the new song and some busy weekends. But finally episode 2.

As I say this is like open mic, so very much warts and all. Amazing how that knowledge adds pressure and induces dire snafus. In fact if I'd been recording for AVOYP then all three would've been binned and would've kept trying for better. But gotta honour the live gig here and it is what it is.

Biggest learning point for me is that I need to learn to turn my head from the mic when I breathe in.

Hope you enjoy the show ..

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
Re: Songs from the Playroom (not the wood) Episode 2
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:22:56 pm »
That was a cool mid-day Saturday event. Nicely strummed, played & sung. You're at the top of your game right now, and it makes good sense to keep up with your open mic chops. Really cool set, thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 08:02:00 pm »
I enjoyed this a lot, David. Good song choices too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:39:57 pm »
You've come a long way in the last few years David both as a player and as
an entertainer.
Two thumbs up. Enjoyed you 3 song set.

I don't think you need to turn your head when breathing. If it bothers you maybe just lean
back a little from the mic when taking a breath, this would be less distracting to the audience.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:00:42 am »
Clint, Tosh, Stitch ... thanks for the look & listen, for the encouraging comments

That was a cool mid-day Saturday event. Nicely strummed, played & sung. You're at the top of your game right now, and it makes good sense to keep up with your open mic chops. Really cool set, thanks for sharing it with us. :)

I think I've reached a reasonable level, but still some ways to go to be as I'd like to be at this level (like not messing up the lyrics when they are right in front of me  :o ) and then aspire to be a better player, more embellishments, more blending of picked finger-style.  I've been watching the Springsteen On Broadway and watching how he plays his songs in that show, much more variation in the playing.

I enjoyed this a lot, David. Good song choices too!

Glad you enjoyed the songs, Tosh.  I think I am right in saying that you recently posted both Mad World and Brown Eyed Girl, we were in some kind of harmony there  ;D

You've come a long way in the last few years David both as a player and as
an entertainer.
Two thumbs up. Enjoyed you 3 song set.

I don't think you need to turn your head when breathing. If it bothers you maybe just lean
back a little from the mic when taking a breath, this would be less distracting to the audience.

Comments acknowledging progress are always so percious to me, Stitch, it's my biggest driver...just to be better, not necessarily great. Thanks for that suggestion, makes sense. I like some breathe-noise in a recording but at times I felt some were a little too prominent. Similarly when playing the instrumental in the last song I thought the same should apply, moving more obviously away from the mic.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:20:07 am »
Bravo David. This project is such a worthwhile way of pushing yourself.
Your guitar accompaniment is coming along fine and I shall not critique here.
I would advise that you spend a little time reflecting on your vocal phrasing.
Singing is a peculiar thing to comment on as anybody's vocal must be allowed the entirety of its space to be described as an interpretation, not a copy. You can't always afford chordal rhythm the same freedom.
Begin by listening to then singing along with the originals. Try to notice the phrasing in particular and the delivery of the syllables. You have a tendency to sing each syllable as though an even 1/8 note across a bar. That is where I would suggest you can make some big and immediate gains if you shift it up.
:)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 10:43:22 am »
Bravo David. This project is such a worthwhile way of pushing yourself.
Your guitar accompaniment is coming along fine and I shall not critique here.
I would advise that you spend a little time reflecting on your vocal phrasing.
Singing is a peculiar thing to comment on as anybody's vocal must be allowed the entirety of its space to be described as an interpretation, not a copy. You can't always afford chordal rhythm the same freedom.
Begin by listening to then singing along with the originals. Try to notice the phrasing in particular and the delivery of the syllables. You have a tendency to sing each syllable as though an even 1/8 note across a bar. That is where I would suggest you can make some big and immediate gains if you shift it up.
:)

As always, aprpeciate you checking out my recordings, Richard, being encouraging and offering food for thought. I understand and relate to your point, something to continue to be mindful of and work on.

When I reflect on this, Justin's point made in his lesson on playing and singing that one should be able to play the song fluently while having a conversation makes so much sense.  When I first started singing and playing the rhythm of playing and singing would tend to merge together, ruining both  ::)

I feel that the rhythms are now more independent but so much more room to improve when it comes to singing and relate to your point about length of syllables.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 05:11:58 pm »
DP, have you thought about committing to not using a music stand? It's a challenge. In a lot of ways just letting 'er rip from memory is far more organic and natural. It also forces us to really get the song under our belt. One of my spinning plates is a little three song acoustic set for the patio, so I'm going to eat my own dog food on this one (if the copyright overlords abide). 

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 05:20:22 pm »
DP, have you thought about committing to not using a music stand? It's a challenge. In a lot of ways just letting 'er rip from memory is far more organic and natural. It also forces us to really get the song under our belt. One of my spinning plates is a little three song acoustic set for the patio, so I'm going to eat my own dog food on this one (if the copyright overlords abide).

Clint, I have indeed ... thought long and hard. And went beyond thought. I performed a couple of Open Mics without song sheets. As you say, it was a challenge. In the end I felt that the additional stress induced by knowing I had to remember the lyrics when I stepped up (chords and song structure not an issue) ended up making me less relaxed.  Feedback from some of the folk at the open mic was that I seemed far more comfortable and performed better when I re-introduced the song sheets. I think in time when the playing and singing become in themselves more natural then stepping up to memorise lyrics will be a natural next step.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »
Got it. Go with what works for you. If this stuff was easy anybody could do it. ;)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 06:46:53 pm »
Well another great session David. Not quite the dodgy venue with bad lighting  ;) but another polished performance. Can't be easy doing these off the bat and yeah there was the odd fluff but overall another good set. Thank you for the entertainment.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 08:23:18 am »
Got it. Go with what works for you. If this stuff was easy anybody could do it. ;)

Ain't that the truth ... happy to be living the dream in my own way, as well as I can.

Well another great session David. Not quite the dodgy venue with bad lighting  ;) but another polished performance. Can't be easy doing these off the bat and yeah there was the odd fluff but overall another good set. Thank you for the entertainment.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Compliments don't get better than to be entertained, so thanks Toby, appreciate you devoting so much of your time to watch not one but two of these longer than the usual single song postings.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 04:07:35 pm »
Congrats on part II David,
Sound is lovely esp guitar full & bright

Mad world:
I really liked the intro and outro. Solid centre, maybe a little variation would lift?
I was a very impressionable teenager when this was released and was mesmerised by the mix of percussion, horns and dancing by the chap outside the window.
The trivia: I gather Jules sings ‘enlarging’ your world, but the original is ‘Harlagian world’ or so says the Wiki-man.

Brown eyed Girl
Not a great fan of the bard from ‘Norn Iron’, but you do a credible cover with nice variation in the strumming and accentuated notes.
Bravo.

Waiting on a Sunny Day:
That’s two of the Boss’ songs I’ve reviewed this afternoon  ;D
Haha, I wish I played sax. The sun has its hat on here in West Kirby
I think this song suits your playing and singing best. Kudos for not letting the slight hiccups throw you and continuing like a pro.
Vibes for your putting yourself out there again and demonstrating your progress.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 08:02:33 am »
Brian, thanks for the look & listen, encouragement and comments per song.

I had to go and dig deeper on Halargian ... love me some trivia. I think maybe the song could work well ditching the pick and finger-picking verses and strumming chorus. I have tried finger-picking it but need to work a lot more to get the picking and singing to come together. Maybe a third rendition some time down the line.

And in deep flights of fancy, I'd also love to play the sax ... the piano ... the harmonica ... the guitar.  Progress on one out of four is a start  :D

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:58 am »
I enjoyed part 2 of your virtual Open Mics David. I thought the song choice and overall length of the set was good.

I enjoyed Waiting on a Sunny Day most. I thought this had your best vocal, you sounded more relaxed and the vocal flowed better. I also enjoyed the short bridge instrumental and switching to barre chords. That one worked well.

Guitar worked well on Mad World and Brown Eyed Girl. As per Close's comments the area to work on is the vocal. You have a pretty good voice and can control it well in terms of managing those high and lows. It's just the phrasing that is out. It almost sounds like you sing to the chord progression rather than to the song. That sounds a bit odd but the guitar accompanies the singer not the other way around. I'd put the guitar down and just practice to the originals (or a version of the original you like).

On Brown Eyed Girl there is a nice version on YT by Georgiarose >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIZ49LDi2E he does some great acoustic song tutorials. Keeps the songs simple but usually has a couple of little flourishes to make it sound better. He's got a couple of neat ones for BEG that work really well BUT aren't technically hard to include. He does Mad World as well.

Great job overall and don't take the vocal comments too critically it's just something to work on. Kudos for posting as always. I'm slowly getting back into it after taking a few weeks with not a lot of practice (too much good weather to enjoy). I might be back shortly with something on acoustic which I'm very rusty on at the minute.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 06:55:49 am »
That's no easy thing to do my friend my hat is off to you.   And thanks for the heads up, I tuned up my saxamafone especially for the solo. 
Seriously though your timing and consistency through all three songs was very good and what great songs to perform. Great job mate.
This a great video and I was applauding like a goose after each song .   
Gives a front row seat to an open mic ft. DavidP. And was good!

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 04:04:04 pm »
Jason,

Thanks for taking a look and the thorough critique and encouragement.

First up, rest easy, I'm not taking the comments about my singing badly at all. I think your analysis was spot on. I suspect I do follow the guitar rhythm and chords. I wanted to be able to play guitar and the singing is kind of an add on since I am more leaning towards that singer-songwriter style than become a lead or rhythm player in a band. Maybe if circumstances were different I might enjoy being a rhythm player in a band and let people who can sing do the singing :) But it is what it is.

I am trying to phrase lines more naturally within a bar but I can safely say that singing and phrasing is not something that comes naturally to me just by giving it a go.  Guess I am not a talented singer (hope you read that line, Lynn).

But encouraging to hear that I am doing OK pitch wise, the highs and lows. And I can say that in learning Waiting on a Sunny Day, I was singing a long with the recording in my car for a number of days, trying to get a feel for it. So perhaps I shall try the same for another song and see how it works out ... time to pick another song to record.

Alex,

Thanks so much for the encouraging comments. You are ever so generous, Much appreciated. And so glad you enjoyed it.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
Excellent mini concert David. I thought Mad World was the best. Personally, I believe if you can do away with the music stand and cheat sheets your performances would be elevated to a whole new level. You’ve got the goods as far as playing and vox, but it seems to me - just my opinion- that you’re a bit preoccupied with reading the lyrics.
An overall enjoyable performance. Good vibes to you.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 07:41:16 pm »
I think I've mentioned before that BEG is my least favorite song in the world, but I made it pretty far through it. Consider that high praise, David. Haha.

Great job on Mad World. I especially liked the intro on that. I think it would be beautiful if you could play the whole song finger style.

I don't think I know that Springsteen song, so I can't really compare it to the original. I liked those 50's sounding chords. It sounded good.

I think you should experiment with mic placement. I know I'm one to talk, haha, but I know you're trying to perfect your act, and I think you may be a little too close. There were some pops and a lot of heavy breathing. I also think that the guitar was a little low, but that might be a matter of taste. Maybe that's a recording mic, and not a performance mic? Could that be the issue?

Anyway, I enjoyed that. Your guitars look nice in the background.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 11:08:35 pm »
I’m a bit late to the party here David. I didn’t read the ‘episode 2’ bit and thought I’d already listened. I enjoyed your set and big kudos to you for the ‘live gig’ concept as opposed to the 15th take approach. I listen to the AVOYP posts just to hear and enjoy what others can do, not to offer critique. I’m impressed by what you can do.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 02:11:19 pm »
Excellent mini concert David. I thought Mad World was the best. Personally, I believe if you can do away with the music stand and cheat sheets your performances would be elevated to a whole new level. You’ve got the goods as far as playing and vox, but it seems to me - just my opinion- that you’re a bit preoccupied with reading the lyrics.
An overall enjoyable performance. Good vibes to you.

Thanks very much, Dave, always appreciate both your encouragement and thoughtful comments to help ongoing improvement.

I agree with you on the observation of preoccupation with reading lyrics. It is a trade-off between that and the stress that comes with learning the lyrics and trusting in ability to remember them when the moment comes to perform.

Perfect world is to know the lyrics well enough so that stress disappears. I do believe with enough time and repetition I can do that.  I did two, maybe three, open mics with no sheet but felt the overall stress and tension it added out-weighed the benefits in a more natural, free performance and tightened me up (got to the point of feeling so much tension that my arms and hands would shake). 

So in time, but for now, I figure it is better to perform and record more frequently, and accept that limitation. At some point something will tell me I am ready to again work at the full from-memory performance.

I think I've mentioned before that BEG is my least favorite song in the world, but I made it pretty far through it. Consider that high praise, David. Haha.

Great job on Mad World. I especially liked the intro on that. I think it would be beautiful if you could play the whole song finger style.

I don't think I know that Springsteen song, so I can't really compare it to the original. I liked those 50's sounding chords. It sounded good.

I think you should experiment with mic placement. I know I'm one to talk, haha, but I know you're trying to perfect your act, and I think you may be a little too close. There were some pops and a lot of heavy breathing. I also think that the guitar was a little low, but that might be a matter of taste. Maybe that's a recording mic, and not a performance mic? Could that be the issue?

Anyway, I enjoyed that. Your guitars look nice in the background.

Thanks so much, Lynn ... I feel praised  ;D

I agree with both your suggestions ... down the line a finger-style of Mad World would be good with some Brian-esque finger-strumming in the chorus.

Good call on the mic, I am using an old pre-cursor to Shure SM57. But, nudge nudge wink wink, just took delivery of a super-cardiod vocal mic  :o So looking forward to trying that out and seeing if I can get a better balance on guitar-vocal, less guitar bleed on the vocal. Maybe be able to back off a little and reduce pops.

I think it was stitch who suggested rocking the head back when gulping those big breathes, which should help with the intrusive (for me also) heavy breathes.

Mic technique is certainly something as demanding to learn as is simple playing. In fact, guys who host the open mics always said learning to sing with the mic was one of the biggest challenges new comers seemed to all face, not so much playing.

I’m a bit late to the party here David. I didn’t read the ‘episode 2’ bit and thought I’d already listened. I enjoyed your set and big kudos to you for the ‘live gig’ concept as opposed to the 15th take approach. I listen to the AVOYP posts just to hear and enjoy what others can do, not to offer critique. I’m impressed by what you can do.

No worries, Gordon, appreciate your look and listen and always encouraging comments. 

And for what it is worth, if something strikes you that you think would make it better then feel free to share. I shall not take it amiss nor harbour any thoughts of "easy to say, go on show us what you can do first". You are a fellow adventurer, listen, and love the music which is all the credentials needed in my book.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »
Nice David. I love your rhythm guitar. I especially liked your brown-eyed girl song, thats such a good song I LOVE it!!! Thats the first time ive heard sunny day, I have never heard it before. Ill have to go listen to the original now since you played it. Sorry for not commenting on your videos I didnt even know you were posting here. I mainly stick to the audio/video forum but I need to start exploring the Live section to. I'll def start checking here for now on! Good Job on those 3 songs, and yes I hope this covid thing will go away soon!!!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:47 am »
Nice David. I love your rhythm guitar. I especially liked your brown-eyed girl song, thats such a good song I LOVE it!!! Thats the first time ive heard sunny day, I have never heard it before. Ill have to go listen to the original now since you played it. Sorry for not commenting on your videos I didnt even know you were posting here. I mainly stick to the audio/video forum but I need to start exploring the Live section to. I'll def start checking here for now on! Good Job on those 3 songs, and yes I hope this covid thing will go away soon!!!

Thanks very much for taking a look and listen, Bytron, and appreciate the encouraging comments.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 02:58:15 pm »
Nice performance. I really enjoyed Mad World. That song is on my Set List. You did well on all three songs. What E-Shaped and/or A-Shaped chords did you use in a song or two?  I’m always impressed with those. They are hard to master for me. 

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
Nice performance. I really enjoyed Mad World. That song is on my Set List. You did well on all three songs. What E-Shaped and/or A-Shaped chords did you use in a song or two?  I’m always impressed with those. They are hard to master for me.

Thanks very much, Pam, appreciate you watching the show and the encouraging comment. If I recall there were quite a few barre chords in the Springsteen song, the instrumental portion at the end is quite a barre chord workout. Certainly worth persevering with them and like everything I am sure in time you will get them down.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App