Author Topic: Beginner Song Book practice thru headphones?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline llbaker2

• Good Vibes 0
Beginner Song Book practice thru headphones?
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:48 pm »
I have a Traveler EG-1 guitar, headphones, and an iPad mini and subscription to Justin Beginner Song Book course. I would like to be able to do course in silence using headphones I would like to be able to hear the Song Book app and guitar simultaneously thru headphones and iPad. My Traveler guitar is equipped with a headphone preamp. I can plug headphones into guitar and practice in silence but would like to be able to hear the Song Book app and my guitar at the same time thru headphones. The preamp on guitar also has an aux-in jack on preamp panel. Supposed to be able to connect a ipad or iphone to aux-in jack and hear music from them so can use as backing tracks to play along with. Seems to me if this backing track thing works then I should be able to hear both the Song Book course and my guitar at same time thru headphones so can do course in silence. I only have one TRRS 3.5mm male to male cable so I can connect headphones to iPad or guitar just fine but not both at same time. Im thinking of buying a second TRRS 3.5mm male to male cable. Im thinking if I connect headphones to guitars built in preamp with one cable and then connect iPad to aux-in on guitar preamp with the other that I should be able to hear both the guitar and Song book course simultaneously (sorta like a backing track) and be able to practice while listening thru headphones. Hope all this makes sense. Am I correct in my thinking? Will this work? Just wanted to get some opinions before buying yet another cable only to discover it wont do what I had hoped. All you sound engineer types please advise.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
Re: Beginner Song Book practice thru headphones?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:31 am »
If you take a look at the manual for your guitar which is here >> https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/714678/traveler-guitar-eg-1-custom-v2.html?page=4 on page 4 it shows exactly what you are describing.

To quote "USING THE AUX-IN:
The EG-1’s electronics allow you to mix an auxiliary
signal with the guitar’s signal through headphones or
an amp. Plug your mobile device into the 1/8” aux-in
jack and adjust the volume on your device to the
desired level."

You will then be able to listen to the mixed signal on your headphones.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline llbaker2

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Beginner Song Book practice thru headphones?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 02:56:33 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Think to make it work will need to get an adapter to go from TRS to TRRS. Spoke with Traveler today and was told the aux-in jack on the EG-1 is TRS while iPads use TRRS. Guess I will pick up a cable and adapter and see what happens.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App