Author Topic: New Guitar - Replace Strings?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline RobOakes

• Good Vibes 0
New Guitar - Replace Strings?
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »
I just got a beginner bundle 9 days ago.  Squier Affinity HSS Strat.  I read on the interwebs many posts saying you should replace the strings that come with these kits as they are usually cheap and or worn/damaged from storage.  The strings that came on the guitar are light (9's).  I've been learning CAGED Em Am Dm and working to get them clean and timely and the strings seem ok to me. I don't know good from bad yet so I haven't bothered to change the strings.  Anyone with 10+ days of experience let me know if you have thoughts on that.

Regards,
Rob

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: New Guitar - Replace Strings?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 11:42:52 pm »
IMO, yes change the strings immediately as the beginning of a setup. Fresh strings will sound better & setup will make play & learning easier, so a better overall experience.
Edit - I guess you won't know how to change strings, so setup neither. Have it done by someone who does, but learn for future.

Offline RobOakes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 02:33:23 am »
I've watched lots of stringing vids online and  I  think I could change the strings myself.  A setup though, that's out of my league.  Maybe I should hold off until a store is open so I can have setup done at the same time

Offline Wendy B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »
I have recently acquired a used acoustic guitar to learn to play (I am a complete novice).
It had new strings about 6 weeks ago and I practice about 20 minutes per day.
I have also bought a digital tuner and have found that I need to retune every day as the guitar doesn't hold it's pitch.

Any ideas please?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 02:26:36 pm »
Hi Wendy - welcome to the forum.
Acoustic strings can last a very long time so going out of tune after 6 weeks means either:

the guitar is experiencing temperature fluctuations
the tuning pegs are not great quality and are not holding tune
the strings were not stretched out when put on

see this post
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47445.msg426439#msg426439

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 03:50:02 pm »
Hi Wendy - welcome to the forum.
Acoustic strings can last a very long time so going out of tune after 6 weeks means either:

the guitar is experiencing temperature fluctuations
the tuning pegs are not great quality and are not holding tune
the strings were not stretched out when put on

see this post
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47445.msg426439#msg426439

I suppose it depends what Wendy calls needing to be tuned every day, if it drifts way out of tune then there's an issue, if it just needs a little tweak before playing but then hold it's tune I wouldn't be too concerned,  I have no issues with my Affinity Telecaster, the tuners aren't the best but they do the job, one area that may be worth looking at is the trem system, it may be worth taking to a tech or guitar shop and getting them to either tighten the claw screws or block it so the bridge sits flat with the body and doesn't move, Wendy isn't going to need the trem at the moment.  A new set of strings properly stretched and some pencil graphite in the nut slots should also help.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 04:11:54 pm »
I suppose it depends what Wendy calls needing to be tuned every day, if it drifts way out of tune then there's an issue, if it just needs a little tweak before playing but then hold it's tune I wouldn't be too concerned, 

Good point.

Wendy - can you elaborate along these lines please?

... one area that may be worth looking at is the trem system...

Wendy has an acoustic.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »
Good point.

Wendy - can you elaborate along these lines please?

Wendy has an acoustic.

My bad the opening post was about a Squier Affinity strat and I got a little fuddled, it happens with age, however, the trem advice still applies to the OP
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

Offline Wendy B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:53:47 am »
Hi,

Thank you for your replies.
The notes are WAY out of tune..the guitar is a few years old. As I said, it is second hand (and cost me nothing) so maybe it is the tuning pegs?
I am fairly sure that the strings were stretched before being fitted.

Is it worth taking to a repair shop, or getting a new guitar...or shall I just keep retuning it?

I am still in the very early stages of learning the guitar so don't really have a clue.

Many thanks  :D

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 12:24:17 pm »
Hi,
Thank you for your replies.
The notes are WAY out of tune..the guitar is a few years old. As I said, it is second hand (and cost me nothing) so maybe it is the tuning pegs?
I am fairly sure that the strings were stretched before being fitted.
Is it worth taking to a repair shop, or getting a new guitar...or shall I just keep retuning it?
I am still in the very early stages of learning the guitar so don't really have a clue.
Many thanks  :D
Could you tell us what guitar it is? Some are not worth doing anything with unless you can do it yourself. Also give us a budget you could afford for a better one just in case it’s not worth spending on? If it’s going a lot out it could be that the strings haven’t been put on properly and are slipping in the tuners, there’s also a few other more serious reasons for this!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 12:54:10 pm »
Could you tell us what guitar it is? Some are not worth doing anything with unless you can do it yourself.

Very important point.

Also give us a budget you could afford for a better one just in case it’s not worth spending on?

And this ... in which case you can read posts and maybe start your own over here

If it’s going a lot out it could be that the strings haven’t been put on properly and are slipping in the tuners, there’s also a few other more serious reasons for this!

ANother good point. Can you take and upload some close up photos of the guitar, the strings as they are wrapped around the pegs etc. Use a host site like IMGUR and copy / paste the BBForum code to this thread.

Offline Wendy B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:45 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

I am a complete technophobe so can't post any pictures, sorry.
The guitar is a Hokada, model 3150.

The budget isn't really an issue although I don't want to buy a mega expensive one at this stage of my guitar journey.

(Ps. How do I start a new thread?)

Sorry to be a nuisance  :-[

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

I am a complete technophobe so can't post any pictures, sorry.
The guitar is a Hokada, model 3150.

The budget isn't really an issue although I don't want to buy a mega expensive one at this stage of my guitar journey.

(Ps. How do I start a new thread?)

Sorry to be a nuisance  :-[

According to Google that guitar is a nylon strung classical guitar correct?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 04:45:48 pm »
If in doubt, just change your strings. It's an exercise that you will want to get good at moving forward, and nothing brightens up guitar tone like a new set of strings. Have a go at it.

Offline Wendy B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 09:15:40 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if it is a classical guitar, but yes, I think the strings are nylon.
The guitar was only re-strung about 6 weeks ago.
Are you saying it should be re-strung again?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 08:32:01 am »
Hi,
I don't know if it is a classical guitar, but yes, I think the strings are nylon.
The guitar was only re-strung about 6 weeks ago.
Are you saying it should be re-strung again?
It wont need restringing yet, but as I said before if it's not been restrung correctly this could explain why it's not staying in tune or if the strings haven't been played in properly that could also contribute to the problem.
Watch this:

Offline Wendy B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 08:38:28 am »
Thank you. Much appreciated :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 08:48:53 am »
Thank you. Much appreciated :)
You're welcome

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
I have recently acquired a used acoustic guitar to learn to play (I am a complete novice).
It had new strings about 6 weeks ago and I practice about 20 minutes per day.
I have also bought a digital tuner and have found that I need to retune every day as the guitar doesn't hold it's pitch.

Any ideas please?

same here i just got my Yamaha fs 80c around feb 3
the store owner said i should loosen the string after ever 2nd time i play it.

how ever i only remembering loosening them twice

i noticed the action on the lower frets (1-4)  kept on decreasing while on the higher frets ( around 9-12)
kept on increasing

today as i was loosening the strings the string 1 broke
what things do i need to know and what went wrong here ?

oh btw i just ordered D'Addario EZ900 0.10- 0.50 extra light strings as justin said in one of his videos that super light strings are good for beginners

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 12:25:16 pm »
the store owner said i should loosen the string after ever 2nd time i play it.
Huh that's weird, don't do that. Strings usually break a lot easier when they are in lower tunings (especially the G string), and you're putting a lot of stress on them when you're constantly loosening and tightening them again. Maybe he meant stretching? You only have to do that once when they are brand new.

i noticed the action on the lower frets (1-4)  kept on decreasing while on the higher frets ( around 9-12)
kept on increasing
Sounds like your neck is moving because of changes in humidity, from what you described you need to tighten the truss rod to eliminate relief.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 12:34:31 pm »
NO i precisely remember he Said make sure to losen the strings after every 2 days and keep the guitar inside the bag and come to me when you need strings as you wont be able to change them i'll teach u how to change.

i just bought the guitar last month

i dont think my yamaha fs 80c has an adjustable truss rod in it

did i do something wrong ?  did i just reduced my guitar's life ?

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 12:51:33 pm »
NO i precisely remember he Said make sure to losen the strings after every 2 days and keep the guitar inside the bag and come to me when you need strings as you wont be able to change them i'll teach u how to change.
Honestly the guy sounds really fishy to me, he may just want to make more money off you. Changing strings is really simple and it is the least bit of maintenance any player should be able to do. Here is a guide by Justin:

The only time you would loosen strings and put the guitar in its bag/case is for transportation - like if you're flying somewhere.

i dont think my yamaha fs 80c has an adjustable truss rod in it
I'd be surprised if it doesn't, look inside the soundhole. You should see a little slot for a wrench there:

did i do something wrong ?  did i just reduced my guitar's life ?

Hah no need to panic dude, guitars are pretty sturdy instruments as long as you're not dropping them or banging them on stuff.

Online Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 01:25:30 pm »
There is a lot of information on truss rods online. Like this:

https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/guitar-truss-rods/

And many others. It discusses both electric and acoustic.

Truss rods are pretty straight forward. Action on an acoustic is less so. But google it too. There may be a few things you can do!

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 01:52:45 pm »
Oh yeah there is a slot inside

i noticed the string broke at the tuning peg maybe i tighten it too much coz it was already kissing the fret

so i dont have to loosen them again and again ? i just setup them once and leave ? what other things i need to know so keep the guitar maintained ?

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 02:44:14 pm »
Yeah man just make sure to check if your guitar is in tune every time you practice, other than that there's not much to it. You may need to adjust the truss rod from time to time and fix the fretends depending on the humidity changes. You can also order a special oil to clean your fretboard occasionally and keep it from drying out.

what other things i need to know so keep the guitar maintained ?
Probably the most important other thing you can do is practice at least every other day to keep the soundhole insects from settling in, but that's pretty much it.

Sent from my SM-N985F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App