Author Topic: Tried everything I read but still sitar soun on all frets!  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
Re: Tried everything I read but still sitar soun on all frets!
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 09:29:11 am »
Can you post a photo?

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 09:39:49 am »
The fret board overhang is normal as your guitar has 22 frets, traditionally they only have 21 so they need to make the fret board longer to cater for the extra fret, I guess it's down to production  costs.  Something like the image below from my Ibanez Bass.

Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline twistor59

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 10:23:46 am »
Ah yes the gap is there with you too.  Mine looks like this (never posted an image before so not sure if this will work):

https://imgur.com/a/dZz9NGo

Hmm no it didn't - I'm not sure how to post an image!

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 10:36:46 am »
Ah yes the gap is there with you too.  Mine looks like this (never posted an image before so not sure if this will work):

https://imgur.com/a/dZz9NGo

Hmm no it didn't - I'm not sure how to post an image!

Yep that's how it should be, neck pick up looks way too low to me though.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

Offline twistor59

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 10:51:46 am »
Yep that's how it should be, neck pick up looks way too low to me though.

It is too low - I pushed it right down when I was trying to eliminate it as a potential cause of string buzz.  I need to put it back where it was.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 11:09:30 am »
As can be seen on 21 fret strats the neck and finger board end flush with the rear of the neck pocket, also as you can see my pick ups are much higher I have 2mm from pole to string on fist and 6th string, Fender recommend 2mm on bass side and 1.6mm on treble side for standard single coils.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 11:15:32 am »
Copied from Fenders' Strat set up guide

PICKUPS
Set too high, pickups can cause myriad inexplicable phenomena. Depress all the strings at the last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and sixth strings to the top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the sixth-string neck pickup position, and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines in the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Bass Side                  Treble Side
Texas Specials   8/64" (3.2 mm)   6/64" (2.4 mm)
Vintage style   6/64" (2.4 mm)   5/64" (2 mm)
Noiseless™ Series   8/64" (3.2 mm)   6/64" (2.4 mm)
Standard Single-Coil   5/64" (2 mm)   4/64" (1.6 mm)
Humbuckers   4/64" (1.6 mm)   4/64" (1.6 mm)
Lace Sensors   As close as desired (allowing for string vibration)

Offline twistor59

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2020, 09:40:07 am »
Just in case it's of use to anyone with similar problems, a small update:

I took the strings off, flattened the neck (check with a notched straight edge), and did some fret rocking - I found a few high frets.  Not trusting my own competence in this, I then took it to a guitar tech who confirmed this.  He's now doing the fret levelling for me.  But also:

I got hold of a second guitar and this also sounds like it has some shrill transients, pretty much everywhere.  I conclude from this that part of the problem is the Line 6 POD which I'm using.  I've tried the global EQ function but can't get it quite right.  I need to spend more time with the POD tweaking the settings!

Offline buxtonpaul

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 08:00:54 am »
Another place to look for the dreaded Sitar noise can be springs at the saddle where you adjust for intonation. In my case the high E saddle position is such that the spring is loose! I discovered this last night after spending some time trying to track down the sitar noise on my guitar. Fiddling around with the springs I was able to get the ringing noise to go away, so I am now in the process of finding a suitable replacement spring.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 06:25:41 pm »
It might be a good idea to start learning some Eastern music right about now. Have you tried playing "Norwegian Wood?" Another good one by the Beatles would be "Within You Without You." I kid, I kid.

Yeah, trying other guitars with your rig and gear combos is a good idea. Some times it isn't just one thing.

Offline twistor59

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 04:23:21 pm »
So the final twist in the story: I took the guitar to a tech who was highly recommended.   I had the problem where the fretboard rises slightly where it joins the body.  I believe the term is "rising tongue" - it's apparently sometimes an issue with bolt-on necks.  Anyway, the tech compensated by rolling off the high frets slightly, and now the action is fully in spec, no fret buzz and it plays like a dream.  (Obv the slightly whiny tone is still there, but that's definitely from my line 6 POD, so I'm not worried about that).

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 562
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 08:23:47 pm »
Good news - a happy ending. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App