Author Topic: Chord switching  (Read 645 times)

Offline gbanks2020

• Good Vibes 0
Chord switching
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:20:37 pm »
How long should you practice chord switching and should you be able to switch in between all open chords before you try to play songs. I have been playing for about 10 months but i still cant switch fast enough in between chords to play songs.

Offline SillySock7

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
    • My Road Case
Re: Chord switching
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:41:36 pm »
You can start learning songs pretty much from the get-go, just play them at a pace you are comfortable - it's actually a great way to improve your chords change speed.

How are you practicing chord changes? Do you do 1 minute changes and chord beat exercises?

Sent from my SM-G975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:14:52 pm »
How long should you practice chord switching and should you be able to switch in between all open chords before you try to play songs. I have been playing for about 10 months but i still cant switch fast enough in between chords to play songs.
Two questions -
Are you following Justin’s beginner course? I suspect you are not as you only need 3 chords, A,D,E, to start playing songs so you certainly don’t need to be able to switch between “all open chords”. 
How often do you practice and for how long? After 10 months there is something wrong with your practice routine if you are having the difficulties you suggest.

My advice - Follow Justin’s beginner course. Stick at it and 10 months from now you’ll be a wow at parties!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 526
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 08:53:34 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
10 months and no songs.
Oh my.

And which chords have you learned?

If you tell me you have learned more than four or five open chords and haven't played any songs at all I am going to put you ion the naughty step.

Once you have the E, D and A chords you must jump right in and start to play one-strum per bar versions of songs.

Check all of the 2 and 3 chord songs filtered by the White level here:
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs
There are 67 of them.

Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

2 chord songs
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/super-easy-2-chord-songs-b1-114

3 chord songs
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/songs-for-lesson-2-b1-208

Do not deny yourself learning songs because of your self-doubt on making quick changes.
:)

Offline stuartw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:17 am »
I feel your pain with this. I first picked up a guitar 6 months ago, and found Justin's site probably 3-4 months ago. I can just about do chords A, D and E but still have to place fingers individually. Can also just about do a couple of riffs but they just sound like notes not a tune! My chord changing is at about 16 - 18 a minute for the options with the various chords. Not enough to move on with the course of do songs!

Have tried songs and can just about do Three Little Birds but no chance with Dance The Night Away (too fast).

Not given up yet and am practising everyday! As has been said on here previoulsy its practice practice practice!!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:41:43 am »
Yeah learning songs is essential and I'd try to learn songs that are a stage behind the one you are learning (I'm assuming you're on the classic course btw). What I would say is that not all Stage songs are equal in terms of difficulty! some are definitely easier than others and that also goes for later stages...you might find the odd song later on that is easier to play than you think so take a look at the songs carefully and if you can't get one to work (generally because it's too quick or the chord changes are a bit different) then don't worry, pick another and come back to those others later on .

Oh and unless you're desperate to learn riffs I wouldn't worry about this during the beginner course. Plenty of time to come back to this later on.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline RobOakes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:31:36 am »
I just held a guitar in my hands for the first time less than two weeks ago (I'm 52) and for sure if you spend time you can be playing A D E songs.  A good one is Walk The Line (Johnny Cash).  Another wicked cool (simplified easy) tune with a cool repeating rhythm is Come As You Are (Nirvana).  I am following Justin's beginner content and it is 1000x more resonating with me than Fender Play which came with my guitar.

Songs have helped a ton with chord transitions as I get into the song instead of overthinking the next change.  Trust me when I say if I can do it, anyone can. 

Offline Amy Sheppard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:38:53 pm »
It depends on the personal characteristics of each person. Personally, I learned to change chords slowly at first, but over time I started to do it faster. And he learned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App