Author Topic: Famous blue raincoat cover  (Read 171 times)

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Famous blue raincoat cover
« on: May 23, 2020, 01:56:25 pm »
Just got Justin Guitar's app the main one, loving doing the stage 1 songs. Some of the basic stuff reminds me to go back to the timings.
Also using ultimate guitar backing tracks to get better timing.

Had a go at three songs. Lenard Cohen Famous blue raincoat,
Lana del rey born to die and had a go at Space oddity.

Im just doing basic stuff on the guitar and working on voice too. But getting the timings right makes such a difference.

Il put two other posts up but here's Famous blue raincoat.

Not sure my voice is deep enough!!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 285
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Famous blue raincoat cover
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:23:47 pm »
Ali, here for the third and haven't got anything else to say at this stage. 

Well done on sharing, pushing on ... keep at it.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 02:46:59 am »
Welcome to the JG Community, great tune you’re playing here! I thought your vocals were fine for the song, good job there. Couldn’t hear your guitar too much over the background track, so maybe play with the levels a bit on the mix. I would also suggest changing up the placement of your recording equipment and see if you can capture your guitar and you playing it in the shot. It seems like your strumming is off from the backing track but it would be easier to see what’s going on if your guitar were louder, and we could see you playing.

Overall I have to say very nice pick for playing, I didn’t know Justin had that one available. Cohen’s got quite a few stellar tunes. Hope yo hear more from you!

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 03:52:44 am »
What a great Leonard Cohen song, we lost him way too soon. It was hard for me to tell what was you and what was the track, partly because of the cavernous amount of reverb. Maybe that's what you were after, to sort of fit into the track? Hard to say for sure. Be that as it may, this forum is about sharing, picking up tips and getting some encouragement. Keep doing your thing and sharing along the way. That's the best way to build up confidence and make improvements. It's such a great song, I admire your choice in music!

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 03:11:21 pm »
Thanks DavidP, Embishop and CT for the encouragements. Its really great to get the feedback and also to share, Im looking forward to doing a mic night when CoVID passes.

Love Leanard Cohen, going to have a go at finger picking this one.

Yes your all right, backing track's a bit loud. Its a bit like a stabiliser on a bike. Will try and do without it and just a metronome.

Sharing stuff hasn't been as bad as I thought, there is a part of playing in front of people that is very rewarding and gives you more confident but its a fine balance. I guess when your learning in front of people you need to develop a thicker skin too.

Thanks all for listening and great to get ideas on how to improve.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »
Consider taking another stab at this song and let us hear your playing and singing. We just don't get enough Leonard Cohen around here outside of an occasional Hallelujah played verbatim. This is such a haunting song.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:09:46 am »
Great song to try to play & sing but I would like to hear you more. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App