Author Topic: Strumming Question  (Read 881 times)

Offline dbvirago

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Strumming Question
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:59:55 am »
Just getting started with Justin's course, but in looking around YT videos, I see a lot of conflicting advice on strumming with a pick. Some say all motion comes from the elbow and some say it all comes from the wrist. I want to be sure and start with the right habit. Any advice appreciated.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
Re: Strumming Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:12:45 pm »
From the elbow.

Unless you want to be a shredder...weedley weedley wee.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:20:37 pm »
I think it is a little bit of both, about being relaxed and about finding a groove.  When I started I tended to strum swinging the forearm, while keeping the wrist relaxed.  So I think initially smooth, consistent, relaxed is the key, without over-thinking.

Now (3.5 years down the line) I find my wrist is loosening up and getting more into the action.  And I think the more advanced you get the more important having that loose relaxed wrist will become ... for fast 1/16 note strumming, throwing in licks and melody lines into the strumming.

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:22:47 pm »
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline dbvirago

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:29:21 pm »
Thanks for the great replies, all.

I'm probably overthinking it, but as GregB pointed out, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 04:00:44 am »
To begin with, the elbow, for gaining accuracy and consistency. Later, the wrist does a lot more, but the movement is still primarily from the elbow.

Being relaxed and feeling fluid is important to the whole action.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 568
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
As has been said, your elbow is the pivot point, but you do not want your forearm & wrist to be rigid as though they have a rod of iron strapped to them. Strumming is very regular and consistent yet good strumming is achieved with a relaxed aspect to your physique.

Offline dbvirago

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:50 am »
Thanks, I'm getting it as I practice more. Since my left fingertips still won't let my play more than a few minutes at a time, I have plenty of time to practice strumming.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 568
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:40:14 am »
Your right arm need not have limited strum practice time due to your left hand fingertips.
You can played muted strum patterns for hours and hours and hours.

With your left hand, simply wrap your hand lightly around so that you fingers are touching but not pressing the strings. Don't do these near to frets 7 or 12 or you will get harmonics ringing out.
You want a muted, percussive sound when you strike the strings with your plectrum.

Strum away ... be rhythmical.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 568
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:40 am »
A new video posted yesterday may help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36cR8twdq7Q

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
I have a question about strumming picking up on this. I know Justin says in the Beginners lessons not to worry about what strings you hit but I'm either hitting all, a coupe or none, and generally not the right ones for A, E or D! I can strum the right ones when practising chords but then that is a slot slower and not part of strumming.
Any hits/tips as to how to improve this. I know that you are probably going to say 'practice' and I understand but when constantly hitting the wrong strings it doesn't help progress.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 02:52:39 pm »
I have a question about strumming picking up on this. I know Justin says in the Beginners lessons not to worry about what strings you hit but I'm either hitting all, a coupe or none, and generally not the right ones for A, E or D! I can strum the right ones when practising chords but then that is a slot slower and not part of strumming.
Any hits/tips as to how to improve this. I know that you are probably going to say 'practice' and I understand but when constantly hitting the wrong strings it doesn't help progress.

You strum all the strings on an open E, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Slow it down, do the pick/strum/pick routine, and practice, practice, practice ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App