Author Topic: Remote Jamming & Practicing...  (Read 1114 times)

Offline wmkna1219

• Good Vibes 0
Remote Jamming & Practicing...
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:17:23 am »
Anyone interested in jamming / practicing via remote video application? No idea what is the best these days...Skype, Zoom, Google Duo, or Facetime?

Male, late 40's, pretty much an advanced beginner.
Just finishing up Beginner Guitar Lessons (Grade 1) on the website.

Located in the USA, EDT.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Bill

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Remote Jamming & Practicing...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:52:37 am »
Check this thread for some info on real time jamming:
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=46863.0;topicseen

However you might want to see if there are any US members and servers set up.
For jamming (meaning multiple people playing at the same time) Jamulus seems to be the closest to doable at the moment in my experience. Tried some chamber choir via Zoom - that was a disaster. I've used others for normal communication but the latency is pretty obvious.

For an open mic style where people listen to each other or jam with a muted microphone (where only one person is playing) any of those platforms would work.

I am not in the US timezone, so will let others to chip in.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 04:53:30 am »
As glpguitar says, none of the normal video conferencing apps are any good for real-time jamming as the latency is too high.

Really, you need tools that are specially designed to minimize latency, like Jamulus, and even then the latency can be problematic.

Personally would follow glpguitar's advice and try jamulus out. Make sure you follow the instructions: https://github.com/corrados/jamulus/wiki/Getting-Started

And you should definitely look for a US based server as European or Asian servers will have far too much delay to be able to collaborate.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline bsp

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 07:44:08 am »
I went down this rabithole recently, wanting to play with a friend across the country.

We are currently testing Ninjam + Reaper. It essentially gets around latency issues by having everyone delayed by 1 measure. So you hear everyone’s recording from a previous measure and you play with it, and everyone else is playing along with your recording from your previous measure.

It’s a bit hard to wrap your head around without trying, but it’s the most clever solution I’ve seen. (Even with an incredible connection the latency on a Zoom-y platform will be unacceptable.)

You can listen to some jams-in-progress on the ‘ninbot’ website.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:58:16 am »
Ooh, Ninjam is new on me. And it has Linux support. I may have to try that.

Thanks

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 02:21:52 am »
Hi Bill. Welcome to Guitar Town. Do you have some music posted that we can listen to? I'm really into Gregorian chants, what kind of music are you into?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App