Author Topic: New Electric Guitar & no clue on how it works  (Read 315 times)

Offline skeldol

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
New Electric Guitar & no clue on how it works
« on: May 20, 2020, 07:44:19 pm »
So I got my Pacifica 112V today.  I was kind of expecting a book explaining what the various knobs do but theres nowt.  I'm guessing the one closet the neck is the volume but what is the other one for & what is the slidey thing & the the lever that screws in?  I tried screwing the lever in in but how far to scew it (tight right??) & then what do I do with it?

I was a bit disappointed that one of the knobs is wobbling about a bit, is it meant to do that?  If not I guess take the plate off the back (when I get some screw drivers....) and try and tighten it??

Anyone got any ideas on what changes I'd need to make so it sounds bluesy like at 4mins in on this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rwlPfMjs4  ??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:02:09 pm by skeldol »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: New Electric Guitar & no clue on how it works
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:28:54 pm »
It must seem a bit weird and confusing at first.
Check this image I made for you.

Unscrew / take out the tremolo bar. You won't need it for a while to come - or ever perhaps.

The sound you hear at 4 mins is neck / middle pickups together.
Don't go chasing that one single tone ... we have no idea what amp / effects / signal processing is happening. It is basically a clean sound with some reverb perhaps.

In the vid he is switching between pickups.
Your ears should detect as he moves from neck to bridge the tone goes from warm and rounded to bright.

The bridge pickup can be 'split' to single coil by lifting the tone control. This will make that pickup sound a little thinner and less punchy.

Offline skeldol

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 10:16:02 pm »
That is perfect thankyou!  You should write user manuals for Yamaha!  What makes it really confusing is a ton of knobs on the guitar & a ton on the amp.  I have my first guitar lesson tomorrow (remote).

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:10:47 am »
Anyone got any ideas on what changes I'd need to make so it sounds bluesy like at 4mins in on this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rwlPfMjs4  ??

Practice and experience. You could get the right settings on your guitar and amp, and it'll still sound different until you know who to play the style that produces the sound.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:25:56 am »
Anyone got any ideas on what changes I'd need to make so it sounds bluesy like...
Tell us about your amp.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:28:18 am »
Tell us about your amp.

He has just bought a Fender Champion ...

Offline skeldol

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:30 am »
Sorry yes the Fender Champion is in the post.  Right now I'm borrowing a friends Marshal MG15R. I've been taught the Petanoic scale, had a bit of amp set-up help and now I'm doing blues play along.  All is good!   :)  And on this guitar I can do the F barre chord whoop whoop!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:53:40 am by skeldol »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:22:00 pm »
You'll get nice blooze tones with the Fender Champ. Play it loud and play it proud. Nothing holding you back now, do what I try to do, stay out of your own way. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App