Author Topic: Fender Amp Question  (Read 435 times)

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Fender Amp Question
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:07 am »
I have come into a Fender Twin Reverb Amp.  I know nothing about these Amps.  What is the general consensus, are they good bad or indifferent in the world of amps?  The one thing I can tell ya is, it’s on wheels and good thing for that because the thing is fairly heavy.

Any input and/or education will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If could figure out how to post a pic, I would. Thinking I would need a hosting site.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
Re: Fender Amp Question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:49:33 am »
Let me be the first person to congratulate you on winning the lottery. Plug in and start peeling some paint off the walls -- with super clean & buttery tones, and cavernous reverb for days. It's a back breaker but hopefully you won't have to schlep it around too much. Just let 'er rip!   

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:56:59 am »
CT - Thank you the quick response.  The amp had been sitting down in a basement for a few years so it is a little cob webby of sorts and has somewhat of a mildew odor and one broken knob. However it does fire right up after a few seconds of warm up. I was wondering if it would be worth the money to bring it in for servicing once things open back up. I’m guessing from your reply but it would be.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:09:52 am »
Will probably need a service, and doubtless won't be cheap. It is an iconic amp, and they cost a lot to buy even today, because tube amps cost a lot.

You won't get it out of 2nd gear playing at home though. Will need some pedals if you want it to provide overdrive. If you do the same with the volume alone, the neighbours will call for the police.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 05:22:43 am »
I would love to hear what it sounds like. I only know of it first hand via emulation on my little practice amp. For you 85 Watts, loud, clean and man when it breaks up! That's a jet engine in your living room. Killer.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:22:28 am »
You have won a tone beastie, I had one many years ago and ended up dropping it because it was too loud for the band I was playing in at the time (a pub band!). Worst thing I’ve ever done, it would have been worth a lot of money now!!!
Best thing to do if you want to get the best out of it at home is to get it serviced and get a power soaker and maybe a variac it will then become much more able to give great sounds at sensible volume levels.
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:07 am »
Oh my.
Super beast.
All tube amps should be services regardless, so yes, definitely get yours done after lockdown eases.
But wow.
:)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 10:22:24 am »
Reckon it'll be a keeper. I know my Fender 65 Twin Reverb model on my Mustang III sounds pretty damn good, so would think the OE would be equally as good if not better. Enjoy.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »
Thank you for everyone’s feedback. The serial number is stamped into the amp, so my uneducated best google guess is it is from 1974-75. The amp is blackface which is odd as the serial number search in google alines with the silverface. Not sure what make of that. Dual “Fender” Labeled speakers in it.

The amp had been sitting around for sometime in a basement so it is a little cob webby and bit of a mildew smell, but fires right up ... after about a 7 second warm up period. I was actually wondering if it was worth taking in for service once things start to open back up - hence this post.  Judging from you alls responses, it sounds like it would be.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 03:46:17 pm »
I would plug it in and play it first. That's probably what your tech will do. This is found riches. 

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:28 am »
Thanks to all who took time to reply to this post. An education on anything it’s always appreciated.

Wow, I guess I really did not realize what this amp was. I knew it was heavy and little much more so thanks for the education. I’m now excited about its prospects.
I would have some pictures up here but I was with photobucket and now they decided they no longer post photos, which was the only reason why I had to use them in the past. Hunting for a photo hosting site (free would. Be cool  ).

The guitar tech/luither that works on my gear rents some space to a guy that works on all amps but used to work for fender. It’s a very small shop with With just Tim the amp guy and Chris the shop owner and string instrument guy. Hoping they open soon and pray this Covid situation didn’t take a toll on their business to the point that they don’t reopen at all. Hopefully when they do I will Bring the amp I have to Tim to take a look at it. I need some new strings and Setup done an acoustic and an electric guitar for Chris.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:51 am »
Use IMGUR to host photos.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 04:00:00 am »
Thanks for the IMGUR plug. Here are few pics of the Twin Reverb-Amp. Shows it age a bit, but maybe we can just call that character  ;)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 04:40:09 am »
Nice! Tell everyone to go stand in the yard, plug it in, turn it on and play that beast. Shake the dust out of it. Go on now...

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 05:09:48 am »
Nice! Tell everyone to go stand in the yard, plug it in, turn it on and play that beast. Shake the dust out of it. Go on now...

Haha ... “Tell everyone to go stand in the yard ...”.  That is a good line  ;D. Had to laugh at that. Thanks.
Yeah, I think I may crank it up tomorrow and see how it sounds loud!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App