Author Topic: The Break Up Song  (Read 713 times)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
The Break Up Song
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:16 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/user-515453056/the-break-up-song-km-cover/s-JypGrE6TYpu

Critiques are welcomed for any and all aspects of this project, including mix and recording. Improving our mix and recording skills would be very useful to our Covers Album project.

For the 'bass' and 'organ', I'm using my Casio keyboard set to those instrument voices, playing into a Shure Beta 58A dynamic mic that's plugged into our AI (Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD). I'm thinking there has to be a way to plug the keyboard directly into the AI but I don't know how to do it. For the bass I think others emulate a bass sound in Reaper somehow, but since I play a bit of keys it's easy for me to find a bass line, transcribe it to piano notation, and then play it on my keyboard. The sound seems fine to me but, if there's a better way and especially a better sound, I'd be happy to hear about it. For the organ, I don't have a sustain pedal for my keyboard so took the simple riff and made it even simpler, so it didn't sound choppy.

For the drums, I'm using Loops from Drums on Demand. The only part I actually tried to match up to the original was the extra fills on the last repeated choruses. It may sound like overkill, but that's (kind of) what the original sounds like.

For the guitar, we play this acoustically and I like how that plays with the riff incorporated into the strumming, so I played through on Kris' acoustic for a starter, then I added the guitar riffs using my Strat. I played the guitar twice, panned 80% left and 80% right.

Guitar riffs and organ riff are panned 20% right. Everything else is in the centre.

Mari playing, Krista on vocals. There are no FX applied to the vocals. It's really more of a Pop Rock song then straight up Rock, but I think Krista's vocals do a nice job of making it rock.

So - I think it's not too bad, guitars aren't perfect but I think I'm kind of resigned to that, it's difficult to play flawlessly when the record button is on, and then it's difficult to mix and match different play throughs. And because I think it's not too bad - I'd be happy to hear any critiques, especially suggestions for improvements. We'd like to make the best 'Album' we can, so we'd definitely like to expand our learning, and improve the playing (if I can, limited by my current technical abilities).

Thanks

Mari and Krista

American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 131
Re: The Break Up Song
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:15 am »
Don't have my headphones and AI to listen well to this Mari, but I gave you a good vibe so you're now at 100.

Will listen when I have the gear at hand. My laptop speakers are vile.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 288
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:21:04 am »
Mari and Krista, I didn't know the song but it rocks along in fine style.  As you say maybe pop-rock, soft-rock or something. But it has infectious energy, really catchy.

I am listening on low-fi headset rather than through my AI and mixing headphones, so not the best. But hopefully comments still useful.

First up I think the vocals are fabulous ... got attitude, a little growl. I think I would lift them up a little bit. As for Fx, probably a little treatment would add some gloss.

I think the acoustic sounds great tone wise. I am curious why panned 80% not 100%? I am hearing the guitar to be "pumping" louder/softer a little at times.  Maybe what you are looking for? I found it a little distracting.

The drum loops sound good in terms of what is played but perhaps a little soft in the mix for a rock song, even a pop-rock song. The drum tone didn't sound like real drums to me. Would be nice to have more crack in the snare, thud in the kick. I use MT Power Drum Kit, a free kit and gives me the ability to apply different EQ to different drums, to get the tone I want plus some reverb and compression helps.

The licks on the strat are great. I'd pan them out of centre.  Leave just the drums, bass and vocal in the centre.  It is conventional but is a dependable strategy. Once panned out then I think you'd have space to lift them up in the mix without muffling the vocal. Same for the organ riff.

Hope that is helpful in some way.  Look forward to hearing a next release if you make some adjustments.

Will there be something from Heart on the album ... you are sounding like you can do Nancy and Ann :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »
Don't have my headphones and AI to listen well to this Mari, but I gave you a good vibe so you're now at 100.

Will listen when I have the gear at hand. My laptop speakers are vile.

100! Awesome, thanks Maggie :)
Boss Katana 50

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:23:55 pm »
Mari and Krista, I didn't know the song but it rocks along in fine style.  As you say maybe pop-rock, soft-rock or something. But it has infectious energy, really catchy.

I am listening on low-fi headset rather than through my AI and mixing headphones, so not the best. But hopefully comments still useful.

First up I think the vocals are fabulous ... got attitude, a little growl. I think I would lift them up a little bit. As for Fx, probably a little treatment would add some gloss.

I think the acoustic sounds great tone wise. I am curious why panned 80% not 100%? I am hearing the guitar to be "pumping" louder/softer a little at times.  Maybe what you are looking for? I found it a little distracting.

The drum loops sound good in terms of what is played but perhaps a little soft in the mix for a rock song, even a pop-rock song. The drum tone didn't sound like real drums to me. Would be nice to have more crack in the snare, thud in the kick. I use MT Power Drum Kit, a free kit and gives me the ability to apply different EQ to different drums, to get the tone I want plus some reverb and compression helps.

The licks on the strat are great. I'd pan them out of centre.  Leave just the drums, bass and vocal in the centre.  It is conventional but is a dependable strategy. Once panned out then I think you'd have space to lift them up in the mix without muffling the vocal. Same for the organ riff.

Hope that is helpful in some way.  Look forward to hearing a next release if you make some adjustments.

Will there be something from Heart on the album ... you are sounding like you can do Nancy and Ann :)

Your comments are very helpful, thank you David!

First off, we have to figure out the best way to listen back to do the best mixing. We have a decent set of headphones, so really I think it’s just me rushing, not taking the time to listen. I’m thinking now maybe what I should do is separate the playing and the mixing sessions, so I start a mixing session ‘fresh’, not already tired from playing and recording, and frustrated from playing imperfectly! (Thanks for prompting the idea :) )

Vocals, yes, we do want to add some FX. All we’ve learned so far is the pitch plug-in in Reaper, the auto one where you input the key and don’t do anything else. Krista figured out that one (and then I forgot to apply it here). I’m hoping to leave the learning on Vocal FX to Kris, but we would like to learn about compression and reverb and harmonies for sure. Listening better when mixing will help with the level of the vox.

For panning the acoustic, I just kind of thought 100% was too much. But, I didn’t listen to it at 100%! I have rather arbitrarily picked 80% as my standard left/right panning, so now will try 100%, and possibly other alternatives, and see what I prefer.

Re louder/softer on guitar, yes, that’s a dilemma that I’m already aware of. I played the guitar twice so the sound is not exactly the same, but close enough I was thinking, and a better option than just duplicating one guitar track and panning it left and right. Compression and EQ are the first two FX I need to learn. I’m thinking that if I learn something there that should smooth out the really noticeable volume changes, and then I can adjust the fader if necessary to account for any overall volume differences in the two play throughs. And, I might also see if the same guitar track duplicated might be better to use.

For the licks they actually are panned at 20% right, I didn’t say that very clearly, but if you can’t hear that then maybe I can push it a bit more.

The drums now. That’s my biggest weakness. Krista had a drum kit for awhile and so plays a bit and has some opinions. I don’t have the patience to work with individual hits, so I stick with loops. I approach it kind of mathematically (please nobody shoot me), add a fill in the same place in the different verses, etc. I was thinking the drums were kind of loud in fact, but perhaps not if you think they could be lifted.

I am going to check out MT Power Drum Kit, see what it’s like compared to Drums on Demand. Neither one of us had considered applying any FX to drums either, so will look at that a bit.

The one thing I already decided to revisit in the mix is the bass. Parts of the bass line are very simple, but there are some cool little bass riffs in there too. However, the bass is too low in the mix, I have to strain to hear what I know I’m listening for, so I think that track could be lifted. I was reading something online about bringing up the volume on everything separately, from zero to optimal, starting with vocals, then guitar, then bass, then drums. I’m going to try that as a technique, see if it’s helpful at all.

Anyway, more response than necessary, but you gave me lots to think about. I always appreciate your input, David. (Btw, for Eclipse, I listened through a bunch of times and finally heard the little blip at ~ 44 secs, but only on 1 playback device, Powerbeats Pro headphones. Thanks for noticing that, I can get rid of the blip now :) )

And as for Heart, I love those gals, but at this point the only Heart tune I’d really like to learn is Barracuda. I’d have to learn that one starting from scratch for this project, so based on our already ambitious targets it’s unlikely. JBG has a greater chance of making it onto the album, and his chances honestly aren’t too high either! :)

Thanks again, David. Mix 2 will take awhile!

Mari

Boss Katana 50

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:40:08 pm »
What a great song to cover and you did a great job with it. Your musicality and groove are through the roof. Really liked it.

My one nit is that the electric guitar sounded a little bit out of tune. Maybe it has some intonation issues, or maybe the strings are dead-ish, hard to say, but it was noticeable to my ears -- not to the point of being startling, nor a deal breaker. Spot on aside from that. I know I'm always in for a treat from you two.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:16 pm »
Hi, Mari and Krista.  Got to say, I really like what you two are doing, and this one sounds great as far as you've taken it.
The following are just observations and things the way I do them, and opinions, so take it all with a grain of salt, or two.

1,  For the 'bass' and 'organ', I'm using my Casio keyboard set to those instrument voices, playing into a Shure Beta 58A dynamic mic that's plugged into our AI (Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD). I'm thinking there has to be a way to plug the keyboard directly into the AI but I don't know how to do it.

You should be able to plug the keyboard directly into the AI, just like a guitar.  I only have one input on my AI for guitar and just plug the keys into that input.

2.  For the bass I think others emulate a bass sound in Reaper somehow, but since I play a bit of keys it's easy for me to find a bass line, transcribe it to piano notation, and then play it on my keyboard. The sound seems fine to me but, if there's a better way and especially a better sound, I'd be happy to hear about it.

I use an octave drop in my pedal and play bass on my guitar.  That's what I did on The Beat Goes On.  Does a fair job, I think.   I remember you doing a jazz number and playing bass on your guitar?   One thing I do to make it sound more like a real bass is pluck the strings with my finger rather than using a pick.   I'll  also mess with EQ to make it sound a little more real.

3.  For the drums, I'm using Loops from Drums on Demand. The only part I actually tried to match up to the original was the extra fills on the last repeated choruses. It may sound like overkill, but that's (kind of) what the original sounds like.

Like David, I use MTPower Drums.  If your keyboard has MIDI capability, you can play the drums through MT Power Drums using your keyboard.  That's what I did on Green Onions, if you've heard that.   Also, adding some EQ, compression, verb helps drum track.  I got my MIDI cable for $16.99 US from Amazon, and they work fine.

4.  For the guitar, we play this acoustically and I like how that plays with the riff incorporated into the strumming, so I played through on Kris' acoustic for a starter, then I added the guitar riffs using my Strat. I played the guitar twice, panned 80% left and 80% right.

Guitar riffs and organ riff are panned 20% right. Everything else is in the centre.

Unlike David, I NEVER pan anything 100% left or right.  I feel like you lose some of the fullness of whatever is panned 100%.  The most I go is 90.  This can be subjective and you can experiment.

I heard the riffs as panned and not in the center.  Again, I normally go more than 20% on something like this.  To my ears it gives it a bit more stereo sonics.

I agree with CT, the Strat sounds out of tune and is distracting.   Something to always check just before recording.  I always tune, then play for about 5 minutes, then re-tune just before recording. 

5.  Mari playing, Krista on vocals. There are no FX applied to the vocals. It's really more of a Pop Rock song then straight up Rock, but I think Krista's vocals do a nice job of making it rock.

Krista's vocals do rock!  BUT I think they would really shine with a little treatment; for example, some compression, EQ, verb. 

Overall, you've got a great start and a lot to work with.  As I said, just take these suggestions/opinions with a grain of salt.  Will be looking forward to the final cut.

Dave

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 01:36:47 pm »
What a great song to cover and you did a great job with it. Your musicality and groove are through the roof. Really liked it.

My one nit is that the electric guitar sounded a little bit out of tune. Maybe it has some intonation issues, or maybe the strings are dead-ish, hard to say, but it was noticeable to my ears -- not to the point of being startling, nor a deal breaker. Spot on aside from that. I know I'm always in for a treat from you two.

Thanks Clint. That's obviously me not checking / not listening to the guitar. I have thought since I bought it that the A string is hard to tune, but that shouldn't impact (much) the riffs in this song. Next take will resolve that.  Thanks.

And I'm glad that overall you liked it. It's a fun song to play for sure.
Boss Katana 50

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 01:45:37 pm »
Hi, Mari and Krista.  Got to say, I really like what you two are doing, and this one sounds great as far as you've taken it.
The following are just observations and things the way I do them, and opinions, so take it all with a grain of salt, or two.

You should be able to plug the keyboard directly into the AI, just like a guitar.  I only have one input on my AI for guitar and just plug the keys into that input.

I use an octave drop in my pedal and play bass on my guitar.  That's what I did on The Beat Goes On.  Does a fair job, I think.   I remember you doing a jazz number and playing bass on your guitar?   One thing I do to make it sound more like a real bass is pluck the strings with my finger rather than using a pick.   I'll  also mess with EQ to make it sound a little more real.

Like David, I use MTPower Drums.  If your keyboard has MIDI capability, you can play the drums through MT Power Drums using your keyboard.  That's what I did on Green Onions, if you've heard that.   Also, adding some EQ, compression, verb helps drum track.  I got my MIDI cable for $16.99 US from Amazon, and they work fine.

Unlike David, I NEVER pan anything 100% left or right.  I feel like you lose some of the fullness of whatever is panned 100%.  The most I go is 90.  This can be subjective and you can experiment.

I heard the riffs as panned and not in the center.  Again, I normally go more than 20% on something like this.  To my ears it gives it a bit more stereo sonics.

I agree with CT, the Strat sounds out of tune and is distracting.   Something to always check just before recording.  I always tune, then play for about 5 minutes, then re-tune just before recording. 

Krista's vocals do rock!  BUT I think they would really shine with a little treatment; for example, some compression, EQ, verb. 

Overall, you've got a great start and a lot to work with.  As I said, just take these suggestions/opinions with a grain of salt.  Will be looking forward to the final cut.

Dave

Thanks for the listen and the comments, Dave, your input is definitely valued!

I’m still not sure how to plug my keyboard into the AI, but a quick Google tells me it’s doable, and that it has MIDI capability (although perhaps with another cord), so I will be checking that out. I can hear the keys clunking sometimes, and I’d like to fix that. I think I’ll also be investing a couple of bucks in a sustain pedal.

I went back and checked the Autumn Leaves I did, and you’re right, I played guitar for bass (using the Octaver on my Katana 50). I thought I had done the bass on that one on keys, that I had tried the Octaver on something else and didn’t like it. But – nope! Glad you mentioned it, because it would be easier to play bass on guitar than write out the notation for piano. (So then maybe I don’t need to figure out the keyboard for this one! Future projects though.)

Yes on the guitar tuning ☹

And before any more mixing, I’m going to learn something about compression, EQ, and verb in Reaper.

Thanks lots Dave, very much appreciate the input.
Boss Katana 50

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 87
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:17 pm »
I am relieved to see you both on this one. Haha. I was worried when I saw the title. I think you guys sound awesome! To my very "untrained, don't know what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me" ears, I think maybe the (very beautiful!) vocals are a tad bit too loud in comparison to the guitar.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:21 pm »
I am relieved to see you both on this one. Haha. I was worried when I saw the title. I think you guys sound awesome! To my very "untrained, don't know what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me" ears, I think maybe the (very beautiful!) vocals are a tad bit too loud in comparison to the guitar.

Lol that’s pretty funny Lynn. 34 years in there’s no danger of a breakup, just a great tune to play 😃 Thanks for your input on the levels, I am going to be re-visiting all the levels for the next mix. Once I learn something about EQ, compression, and verb ...
Boss Katana 50

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 131
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 05:43:01 am »
Late to the party on this one. Haven't read the detail from folk who know lots about mixing etc so I may be repeating some of that. The Strat is out tune and it sounds weak and thin where you've positioned it in the mix. I'd like it to have a little bit of time in the spotlight, perhaps in tandem with Krista the star?  In my headphones, the mix sounds too full on the right. Is there an instrument that could be panned left? I can't discern what it is that makes it sound too full.

There's also some panning that's too wide for me. I feel dizzy listening to it.

Krista's wonderful voice is the star here. I think that's the case in most if not all mixes that have a vocal. I'd like it to be in the middle and brought forward in the mix, perhaps just 1 or 2 dB. At times it sounds a little too buried the instruments.

If these are the ravings of a toddler please disregard.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:58 pm »
Late to the party on this one. Haven't read the detail from folk who know lots about mixing etc so I may be repeating some of that. The Strat is out tune and it sounds weak and thin where you've positioned it in the mix. I'd like it to have a little bit of time in the spotlight, perhaps in tandem with Krista the star?  In my headphones, the mix sounds too full on the right. Is there an instrument that could be panned left? I can't discern what it is that makes it sound too full.

There's also some panning that's too wide for me. I feel dizzy listening to it.

Krista's wonderful voice is the star here. I think that's the case in most if not all mixes that have a vocal. I'd like it to be in the middle and brought forward in the mix, perhaps just 1 or 2 dB. At times it sounds a little too buried the instruments.

If these are the ravings of a toddler please disregard.

Ravings of a toddler? Clearly not, Maggie! Your input shows me that much of the comments are rather consistent in particular areas, and some of the comments are individual preference. I’ve finally started going through some Reaper tutorials, and some other tutorials (starting on EQ, then looking forward to compression), so I should be embarrassed to say I’m just starting to understand even simple things like targeting and adjusting dB - but I’m not! I’m happy to be learning. And really the biggest thing I’m learning is simply the importance of listening. So thanks lots. Eventually I’ll post another mix, but it will take awhile.

Mari
Boss Katana 50

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 288
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 05:22:45 pm »
Sounds like you are pressing no and making progress, Mari.  Totally agree, should never be embarrassed at being a novice and in the process of learning.

I see you are watching the Kenny Goia videos on Reaper.  They are excellent.

I also got a lot of my grounding watching [email protected] He uses either purchased plug-ins or the stock plug-ins on Pro Tools but does tend to explain how things are working, so can take learning from hom plus Reaper videos and make progress.  You may find some useful videos on the playlists for compression and EQ here: https://www.youtube.com/user/recordingrevolution/playlists

He also has a number of free guides to download that I found useful, here https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

On drums, I think (stand to be corrected) that Dave transcribes the drums on the covers he produces and programmes them using the midi editor in Reaper or plays them using his keys as a midi controller. That is way beyond me  :o

My approach is much simpler and similar to using loops. The plug-in has a number of different pre-set grooves with fills. Lots of options. To date on my originals I've also found something that seemed to work. You might not replicate exactly what is on the original but could find something good and maybe tweak here and there. 

I have finally (thanks to a Kenny G video) figured out how to set it up in Reaper so as to easily be able to add different fx and adjust the levels of each drum.  That I could send to you if you were interested.

Dave, in case you are still following ...

I have been thinking about your observation about panning.  Will definitely try it out. I think where the 100% may still work OK is when double-tracking. I often now have exactly the same part played twice and panned 100% to create that width. Sometimes even add a little time delay on the one track to enhance the sense of width (Haas Effect). 

Mari, if you duplicate the track (I used to do this when my play was way off the beat) and pan equally on either side then you will hear it dead centre. In that case have to resort to Haas Effect, to get that sense of width.

But if playing just a single track then I can imagine one might get a little extra with just a little coming through the other speaker, especially if listening through headphones.

Have fun with the learning and feel free to ask more questions along the way ... happy to share the little I have learned ... the ongoing cycle of receiving and passing on :)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 01:19:08 am »
Still following, of course.   Mari, you are going to learn heaps of good info doing this project.

David, "On drums, I think (stand to be corrected) that Dave transcribes the drums on the covers he produces and programmes them using the midi editor in Reaper or plays them using his keys as a midi controller."

I don't actually transcribe drums.  I usually try to find a loop in MTPD that fits the song, and then just add transitions from the fill menu.  Sometimes I'll pick a loop that  I like, say, the kick, and just just use the kick and then play in from the keyboard the snare, cymbals, etc.  I have never, and probably never will, program the drums.  It just seems too time consuming and complex,  when I can play them on the keyboard and end up with a decent drum track. 

On the panning, I find double tracking is best, but I still don't go to 100.  I find using a different guitar or EQ on one side different from the other helps distinguish the separation, too.  Or using different chord voicings works also.  Also using a different rhythm pattern on each side works.  I remember CHIX telling us, when I was trying to use the same vocal track  on both sides,  that all that does is adds volume, and that's why double tracking is better.  And I think she was right, in that you never sing or play it exactly the same twice and you'll hear the separation.

I certainly agree, David, that Kenny Goia has some good tutorials on Reaper and that there's a wealth of knowledge there.

Mari, it's said that patience is a virtue.  It seems like a lot to learn, but the more you do of this mixing stuff, the easier it will get for you.  You are already producing good music.  Once you add a few things into
the mixing/mastering your recordings are going to go to another level.  And as David says, have fun.  That's what it's all about.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App