Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0021 - D Major 3rds, B minor blues, E minor pentatonic & more  (Read 1174 times)

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
Wow Neil, superb! The tone is great for starters and you kept me glued to the headphones all the way through, that section 1:00 to 1:30 is fantastic! Knopfleresque I’d say. Very well done....you win this one  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:39:28 am by close2u »
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Thanks Clint, you're very gracious. As usual this was "rehearsed improv", and I hit on a lick using the thirds that I used as the running motif to hang around the rest of the noodling. I really enjoyed doing this one - sometimes it flows easier than others.
Neil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:55:24 am by close2u »

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Thanks David, appreciate your kind words. I'm finding this to be a really useful and fulfilling exercise now the competition is no more. Come back here soon yourself!
Neil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:55:34 am by close2u »

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Praise indeed Steve, thanks. I'm particularly pleased with the tone. Unusually for me it's recorded straight from the amp with little modification other a little extra reverb. I used an old Mexican Strat that my son bought second hand at college and broke the neck many years ago. I've recently replaced the neck and some of the other trimmings and she's like a new guitar and in this instance sounded great. It's my first attempt at repairs and I'm pleased with the results; only problem is my son now wants his guitar back!
Neil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:55:45 am by close2u »

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
@ Clint,
Loved the tone and your lead gave this a very dark feel with lots of tension. Very expressive, good stuff!
Neil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:55:56 am by close2u »

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
@b1rdland

Steve,
Very accomplished playing as usual. You seem to start a little hesitant in most of your improvs and let loose very quickly thereafter. I love the funky riffs from around 2.20 onwards - they work as a nice counterpoint to the lead playing elsewhere.
Neil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:56:17 am by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
@ b1rdland
Steve, firstly, I love the gritty and biting tone you get here. It allows your lead lines to soar and maintains clarity and definition on your double stops. I think that is key to blending these together - having enough juice in your drive pedal to give things oomph but not to overcook things.
Tasty licks and a good restraint which allows you to bring an idea and play around with it for a while.
Cool stuff.
:)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
@FourTwo.
Neil, more tasty stuff. The passage from one minute was sweet as.
You sandwiched that in between two segments that built and developed a theme so the whole thing hung together as a piece really well. Compositional improv to admire!
 8)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
@FourTwo.
Neil, more tasty stuff. The passage from one minute was sweet as.
You sandwiched that in between two segments that built and developed a theme so the whole thing hung together as a piece really well. Compositional improv to admire!
 8)

Thanks Richard, appreciate the feedback.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Here's my latest effort - this time using Richard's second track:

https://soundcloud.com/fourtwo42/before-the-storm

Neil

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 288
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Fabulous, Neil. Just so melodic, lovely phrasing and delicious tone. By way of compliment, may I say, quite Knopfler-esque in my ears.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Fabulous, Neil. Just so melodic, lovely phrasing and delicious tone. By way of compliment, may I say, quite Knopfler-esque in my ears.

Thanks David, you're really kind. I'm pleased with this one as I did it in one take, whereas the previous ones have tended to be overdubs of parts where I messed up. I messed up a few times on this one too, but decided to leave it all in. I still take a lot of time to work on licks that I think will stitch together though before I record.
Neil

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
@FourTwo

Neil, you've struck a seam of gold again. What I think you have managed to do well here is play a lot of melodic phrases that could actually be delivered by a vocalist. Including lots of punctuation and space for taking a breath. After the track finishes I can still hear and hum some of your licks in my head. Good stuff.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
    • YouTube
Yeah, pure gold. Very well played. So melodic and soulful. You do a little jog in there that really caught my attention -- a bit like the drum roll in parts. Inspired. Nailed the heck out of it.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
@FourTwo

Neil, you've struck a seam of gold again. What I think you have managed to do well here is play a lot of melodic phrases that could actually be delivered by a vocalist. Including lots of punctuation and space for taking a breath. After the track finishes I can still hear and hum some of your licks in my head. Good stuff.

Richard,
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, and also for putting these tracks out there to challenge us.
Neil

Yeah, pure gold. Very well played. So melodic and soulful. You do a little jog in there that really caught my attention -- a bit like the drum roll in parts. Inspired. Nailed the heck out of it.

Thanks Clint, appreciate your insights. I'd love to hear your interpretation. ;)
Neil

Get The Forum As A Mobile App