Author Topic: Hand position  (Read 2056 times)

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Hand position
« on: April 28, 2020, 10:02:58 am »
Hi all,
How are you?
Looking at Justin DVD videos, I can see that he keep the thumb finger (of his right hand) kind of more on the left (fingerboard side), compared to the other 3 fingers that he used for the G, B, E strings, that he keep more on the right ( the bridge side ). So it looks like the thumb finger doesn't get on the way of the other fingers.
I play an electric guitar, I think there is less space, for my hand, between the two pickups compared to an acoustic guitar, that probably allows more freedom above the soundhole.
Is it ok for me to keep learning fingerstyle with my electric guitar even if I got to keep my fingers "closer" to each other, compared to what I can see in the video?
I have started the Folk Fingerstyle course less than one month ago, so I would like to correct position errors as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Hand position
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 01:52:37 pm »
Everybody's hand is different and playing on acoustic vs electric will also create the need to adapt hand positions.
There is no one-way fits all here.
If it works for you and you have freedom of movement and independence of finger movement you should be fine.

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Hand position
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »
Thank you :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App