Author Topic: Slowly progressing, new to fingerstyle.  (Read 1912 times)

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Slowly progressing, new to fingerstyle.
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:49:21 pm »
Hi all, how are you?
I'm new to the fingerstyle guitar style and I bought the Dvd because I wanted to discover something new.
After more or less three weeks, I can slowly play the two patterns with the C chord and the 2 patterns with the G chords.
I'm very slow but very happy about my progress .
The funny thing is that probably my brain is still taking a lot of brainpower, so I'm very slow to change from chord C and G to combine the four pattern together. It's funny because I'm quite fast to change chord while strumming, but while playing fingerstyle with the right hand, the left one gets slower and slower.
I'm not too worried, I guess it is all down to practice and enjoy the gurney .
Have a great evening and stay safe.

Giorgio

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Slowly progressing, new to fingerstyle.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:43:46 am »
Yup, I had the same experience, Giorgio.

Just got to be patient.  And in my case, extremely patient as it took me plenty of time to get up to a reasonable speed and lose the need to concentrate intensely on the right-hand. 

Still a long way to go but I find it fun to keep at it and am in no rush to achieve anything specific.

Enjoy the process ...
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 03:51:55 pm »
Yup, I had the same experience, Giorgio.

Just got to be patient.  And in my case, extremely patient as it took me plenty of time to get up to a reasonable speed and lose the need to concentrate intensely on the right-hand. 

Still a long way to go but I find it fun to keep at it and am in no rush to achieve anything specific.

Enjoy the process ...

Thanks David,

Enjoying it, sometimes a bit frustrating but every little progress give me excitement :)

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 150
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »
Buon giorno, Giorgio  :)

I was surprised how much I had to concentrate to pick out the correct notes initially; then it seemed like something 'clicked' and it became easier to practice without thinking and building up a little speed.
Having said that, I just let things stagnate there and really should get back to it, so thanks for the reminder  :)

(By the way, I hope you don't enjoy the gurney, that's a hospital stretcher on wheels, used for patients. Let''s not go there...  ;))

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:30:41 pm »
Buon giorno, Giorgio  :)

I was surprised how much I had to concentrate to pick out the correct notes initially; then it seemed like something 'clicked' and it became easier to practice without thinking and building up a little speed.
Having said that, I just let things stagnate there and really should get back to it, so thanks for the reminder  :)

(By the way, I hope you don't enjoy the gurney, that's a hospital stretcher on wheels, used for patients. Let''s not go there...  ;))

Hi Brian,

:))))) ops, Journey:))))))
Thanks for the correction :)

Enjoy coming back to it :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 09:49:46 pm »
Hi and welcome!

I always got better at fingerpicking the day after I practiced.
No kidding.
The practice is one thing to feed the muscle memory but it was the sleep that really made it settle.
Not every day is a success but I often found myself playing a bit better and on autopilot the next day, rather than trying again later on the same day.

Patience patience patience. (and practice in between of course! :) )
You'll do a lot of steps very conciously now but you'll do the basic in auto mode soon if you keep at it.

Fingerpicking basics will feed your playing FOR LIFE

I can only applaud people taking the step from chord strumming to fingerpicking, especially if you can combine the two.  You will notice that justins lessons about sus2 and sus4 chords will be SO VALUABLE as soon as you ding into fingerpicking.

You'll decorate simple chords by the simple movement of a finger and it will sound like a million dollars! You can take a regular progression and try different fingerpicking things over it and a whole new world, for every possible song you know and will learn in the future will open up.

My personal style eventually grew with a lot of fingerpicking in it. Sometimes steady and repetitive, sometimes experimental and not always the same exact pattern. You'll find nuances and explore the value of each singe note in your chord rather than the mix of sounds that your strummed chord gives you.

Do I sound hyperenthousiastic?
I am.
Just thinking that I might have a chance to inspire somebody today drives my urge to infect you more :)

I'm glad you shared this simple message.
Starting out was a milestone already.
It was worth it just mentioning -that- here.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty
 | My solo act:  website: Devil's Advocate

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:25:36 am »
Hi and welcome!

I always got better at fingerpicking the day after I practiced.
No kidding.
The practice is one thing to feed the muscle memory but it was the sleep that really made it settle.
Not every day is a success but I often found myself playing a bit better and on autopilot the next day, rather than trying again later on the same day.

Patience patience patience. (and practice in between of course! :) )
You'll do a lot of steps very conciously now but you'll do the basic in auto mode soon if you keep at it.

Fingerpicking basics will feed your playing FOR LIFE

I can only applaud people taking the step from chord strumming to fingerpicking, especially if you can combine the two.  You will notice that justins lessons about sus2 and sus4 chords will be SO VALUABLE as soon as you ding into fingerpicking.

You'll decorate simple chords by the simple movement of a finger and it will sound like a million dollars! You can take a regular progression and try different fingerpicking things over it and a whole new world, for every possible song you know and will learn in the future will open up.

My personal style eventually grew with a lot of fingerpicking in it. Sometimes steady and repetitive, sometimes experimental and not always the same exact pattern. You'll find nuances and explore the value of each singe note in your chord rather than the mix of sounds that your strummed chord gives you.

Do I sound hyperenthousiastic?
I am.
Just thinking that I might have a chance to inspire somebody today drives my urge to infect you more :)

I'm glad you shared this simple message.
Starting out was a milestone already.
It was worth it just mentioning -that- here.

Wow, thank you! :)
Your message is very motivating!
Thank you !

Get The Forum As A Mobile App