Author Topic: UK Community Jamulus server  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
Re: UK Community Jamulus server
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 04:05:29 am »
Yep Majik thanks for setting this up. Both GLP and myself lowered the settings on the Jitter side of things as they were constantly going green/red and giving us a lot of drop out...unfortunately that means more delay and really was unplayable together. So not sure this is a go with our current connection

I was thinking about that and wondering if the way I'm hosting this is causing problems. It's a little difficult to tell from 10,000 km away, but it did seem a bit jittery to me when I first set it up. I have heard from other people who have used Jamulus without these sorts of issues and in the few occasions when I see a local server in Singapore, the latency is quite low.

I've also done some digging into their documentation and forums so I understand a little more about how the software works on the server side. I'm going to have another go at setting this up on a different environment and in a slightly different way. So those interested, please stay tuned and I will let you know the details.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:05:50 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:21 am »
*** UPDATED SETUP ***

OK, so I've made a few changes and, even from Singapore, I'm seeing better latency. The setup for this is a bit different so please see the directions below.

First of all, of course, you need to install Jamulus. You should following the instructions here as well as reading the other important information in that guide.

Then, when you run Jamulus, before you connect, go into the Settings and change the Central Server address as follows:

1. Uncheck the "Default" option
2. In the box below, enter jg-community-jam.superlative.org

It should look like this:

Then, when you connect, you should see the server, including the latency, like this:

(Note that the latency above is from Singapore, so it should be much lower for people in the UK)

Then select the server to connect to it.

Please try it out and see how you get on. But remember to follow the instructions in the Jamulus Software Manual as well.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:41:43 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 05:42:41 am »
Note that this is set up as a "Central Server". This means that, if you want to, you can configure your own server and connect it to this one. If anyone wants to do this, follow the instructions at Running a Server.
To connect, uncheck the Default box under the "Register My Server in the Server List at the Central Server" dialog, and enter the address jg-community-jam.superlative.org. This should appear as below:

Remember to fill our your server details below this, as I have done in the image above.

So if other JustinGuitar community members from other regions want to use this as a registration point for their own servers, they can.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 08:41:44 am »
Majik just connected with your suggested settings and I can see ping time and overall delay are much lower... it's actually pretty easy to test solo once you disable direct monitoring as you can quickly tell if playing matches closely enough feedback from jamulus. Will give that a whirl later (when work is quieter!).
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 11:48:31 am »
I just connected and it works better the same way as Rossco described. + the buffer LED is mainly green now so I guess something is definitely improved! Will keep you posted.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 01:42:32 pm »
Did a little bit more playing with this over lunch. So I initially tried it on Majik server and it was a little betters... ping was down around 18-22 and there was less - but still some - delay..probably still a bit challenging to play with.

I also then took a look at what the public servers were like. Quite a few run around 12-14 ping rate so I joined one of those (quite a lot are empty) and that little drop in ping time makes a big difference. Clearly if you get this setup it must work well as a lot of the servers are Band servers which are used for rehearsing and they just leave them up all the time free to use if they aren't using them.

I also wanted to explore whether my interface played a part (Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen). I tried to lower sampling rate but ASIO interface wasn't having any of it. I do GT1 which has an interface but not sure it allows me to get output through the headphones. (it does says its 1input and 1output) so need to play with that a bit more.

For people who want to play with this you don't need someone to jam with...if you install the software and follow instructions..turn direct monitoring off so you ONLY hear whats coming back from the Jamulus server and you'll see how it works.

I'm going to dig in a bit more to the "ideal" Jamulus setup see if we're missing anything
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 06:47:54 pm »
Technical question ...

I have retained one private guitar student whom I teach online via Zoom.
It is full of latency of course so direct play together is impossible.

Would this work as a connection for audio during lessons if we had another means of seeing other other too running alongside?

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 07:25:20 pm »
Technical question ...

I have retained one private guitar student whom I teach online via Zoom.
It is full of latency of course so direct play together is impossible.

Would this work as a connection for audio during lessons if we had another means of seeing other other too running alongside?

Yes but the video will experience latency. You can connect both microphone and guitar to jamulus at the same time, so you can comment in real time during your student's playing. However the video will experience the delay (which might be an issue or not at all).

EDIT:
I did not test it yet with an additional communication device so I don't know if latency would hugely increase. But both softwares should work at the same time.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 04:15:08 am »
Yes, it should work, as long as you aren't connecting your audio to/from the video feed as well as Jamulus. One way to do this would be for both of you to mute the audio on the video call.

The video will be delayed so you will have the equivalent of "lip sync" issues so you should take your cues for jamming from the audio.

From what I have seen from observing other people's jam sessions, the more successful ones seem to either have a drummer or a drum machine, so if you can pipe the audio from a metronome or drum sequencer app into Jamulus, that could be beneficial.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 04:39:37 am »
Did a little bit more playing with this over lunch. So I initially tried it on Majik server and it was a little betters... ping was down around 18-22 and there was less - but still some - delay..probably still a bit challenging to play with.

I also then took a look at what the public servers were like. Quite a few run around 12-14 ping rate so I joined one of those (quite a lot are empty) and that little drop in ping time makes a big difference. Clearly if you get this setup it must work well as a lot of the servers are Band servers which are used for rehearsing and they just leave them up all the time free to use if they aren't using them.

From what I can tell, most of these are running from someone's PC. If you set up the port forwarding on your router, you can run your PC as your own server.

I suspect the different latency is down to geography and network routing differences.

Feel free to set up your own server on your PC and register it to my "central server" if you want. This will probably give the lowest latency of all.

Of course, you could also do that with the default central server but, in my experience, that is mostly full so registering to it is usually not possible.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 07:44:36 am »
Thanks @glp and @Majik

:)

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »
Gulp!!!!
Not sure how I missed this thread :( Just looked it up after a clue in a message from Keith after I contacted him.
While all this useful conversation was going on I've been battering my "virtual" head against a brick wall trying to get going with Jamulus.

My writing of this post was interrupted by Keith transmitting a drumroll from Singapore as I was logged on to his server!
I'm shortly going to be linking a server I have set up in London to Keith's.

Regards,

John

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 01:08:34 am »
Okay, I've been playing around with this on my own but can't get my head around something.

While I managed to reduce the ping time to 10-20 ms (depending on which server I use) and I hear the massive difference in "direct monitoring" - I can hear myself quite well now (with a bearable latency), I cannot get the overall delay beneath 120 ms (and therefore the LED indicators remains RED).

What exactly does the overall delay mean? An overall latency if there was multiple people jamming? If yes, 120 ms would be a disaster. But how can others (based on some reviews on other websites) get it work if I assume they have a comparable internet speed (fiber)?

I am sorry if this was discussed in this thread already, it's a bit late so I don't have the energy to re-read the whole thing.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 08:36:13 am »
glp I've not had more time to play with it but did for a while after we had a go. I joined a few of the other ones where latency was around 12-14 and it clearly worked. I have to admit I didn't jump in and try to contribute myself.

Have you had a look at the forum for Jamulus? it seems pretty active and people may be able to help with that question. The search function seems to work pretty well as well.

I think WIllsie was going to try and add a server to this as well.Not sure how far he got though.

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 01:48:55 am »
glp I've not had more time to play with it but did for a while after we had a go. I joined a few of the other ones where latency was around 12-14 and it clearly worked. I have to admit I didn't jump in and try to contribute myself.

Have you had a look at the forum for Jamulus? it seems pretty active and people may be able to help with that question. The search function seems to work pretty well as well.

I think WIllsie was going to try and add a server to this as well.Not sure how far he got though.

I missed this reply! Cheers for the forum suggestion, hopefully I find something useful in there. Will keep you guys updated if I land on anything good.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App