Author Topic: Under the Bridge - as requested  (Read 4861 times)

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
Under the Bridge - as requested
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:11:15 pm »
OK I got around to it.

I had a go when I said I would but spent the whole night where I couldn’t find a tone I liked and couldn’t hit a chord and everything sounded rubbish so I gave up on it ;)

Gave it a rest for a couple of days and came back to it tonight, got better at the intro without even practicing it ?? :p half the job is mental I guess :p.  Anyway I did a video of just the intro without a capo, as usually I mess that up without a capo, but it wasn’t too bad.  I should have carried on but I got a cramp :p

Anyhow the other bit is a video of the intro with a capo, shows you an easy way to play it, then the rest of the bits I know.

The funny looking chord that looks like a grip  :) is just a variation on an E shaped Barre chord.  Note the last three fingers are in an E major shape, the index finger is barring the bottom two strings and the thumb gets the top.  In fact the reason this grip is used instead of normal barre is that he actually dampens the high E which is had to do with a normal barre.  When I first learned barres from a book I played it this way anyhow coz I figured that was what they meant :p so its kinda natural for me to play them that way  when you play a e minor shape like this you have to push your index finger up and flatten it which is used in this song also.  The other chords are an A shape barre, an A Minor shape barre and a variation on that that leaves off the last two fingers and thats pretty much it I think
the basic chords for the verse are

E Barre
B Barre ( Grip )
Slide the 5th and 4th up two frets and do a
c# minor ( grip )
g# minor ( grip )
a ( grip )  

oh yeah and then that horrible chord ( well its lovely but really awkward to play as you can see watching ;) )  I dunno what it is I thought it was an E when I heard it or some sort but couldn’t figure it out and looked around until I found a video where I thought this was the right sound. Its like pinky on 2nd string 9th fret, ring finger 3rd string 8th fret, second finger is on the 7th fret 5th string ( and muting the low E ) index finger is on the 4th string 6th fret and muting the high E.  I think  :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlKu0SsJUg

intro without Capo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldVwOWTEUbY
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline jimifan

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Lick of the Day
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:02:58 pm »
nice vid I love this song.

S.C.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:40 pm »
Nice  :lol:

darkprophet

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:10:10 pm »
OMG! Theres a chicken with a knife behind you in the video :P

Nice video and nice guitars :)

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:41:11 pm »
Hey thanks.

During the making of this video,  I discovered that although using delay can really add to your sound, it also really accentuates your mistakes :D  I think I might have used a little too much here and not enough chorus for the part after the main chorus sequence.

but its a xx--xx of a song, so many little fiddly bits  and those I played are only a few of them, each time he does a verse he kinda plays it a bit differently

But thanks for the kind words ;)

I spose I should finish off the set with street spirit really seeing as that 3was m y other mp3 :/

oh yeah and  darkprophet
OMG! Theres a chicken with a knife behind you in the video

wtf do you know about me and creeping up on people with knives ?? :p

http://www.xopclan.com/images/boms/boms.htm
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX