Author Topic: Making Backing Tracks From Scratch  (Read 1138 times)

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
Making Backing Tracks From Scratch
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »
This was posted in one of the guitar challenge threads:
A couple of questions: (i) do you make these backing tracks yourself, if so what instrumentation do you use? (ii) where do you get video footage to use over the track? Is there a web site that has stock footage that can be used for this sort of thing?
Neil
Yes, I make my own loops and backing tracks in Garageband, which is a free DAW that comes with most newer Mac computers. There are iOS versions as well, but I can't speak to them.

A Garageband project starts with a designated major or minor key, and beats per minute (BPM) setting. From there I add a drum loop and what other elements to fill out the vibe or groove. Sometimes I'll add a rhythm guitar or chimey note section.

There are other methods and tools for making your own backing tracks, I would like to invite others to share how they do it. 

As for video & images, I search the interwebs for royalty free content. Alternatively, I shoot my own footage and images with my iPhone.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
Re: Making Backing Tracks From Scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:51:01 pm »
Thanks Clint. When you record the bass line is that you playing? Do you have a bass or are you using a pedal to drop a guitar down by an octave? The keyboard fills - do you have a keyboard or are you using a simulator?
Cheers
Neil

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:28:35 pm »
I don't have a bass guitar, so sometimes I use a loop in Garageband, play a guitar bass line, or use my Trio to lay down some bass. My amp has an octaver setting/plugin, but I'm not that fond of the tone from it. Here's a case where I played acoustic guitar power chords into a looper to get some bass action:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:47:43 pm by CT »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:32:14 am »
Good thread to start and ideas to share CT!
:)

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 02:55:24 pm »
Thanks, close! The skill that is worth developing, certainly for me, is to hear a beat that I like in a particular track, and then try and recreate it in a new track. When your brain is wrapped around developing melodies tied to chord progressions, it's a bit of a leap to focus on beat and groove. It must be a right brain vs left brain thing.   

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:04 pm »
Good thread CT. To be honest don't make a lot of backing tracks now and tend to just use my Trio+ as the workflow is so quick compared to anything else. What I can recommend in terms of products to support backing track creation are the EZ range (EZDrummer, EZKeys and I think EZBass is about to come out). EZ drummer is particularly effective to build a drumtrack. I've also tried the Band in a Box software but have always struggled to get something useful out of this.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App