Author Topic: The Circle of Fifths. Where does it come from? Where does it go?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline roger!holland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: The Circle of Fifths. Where does it come from? Where does it go?
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:55 pm »
I will overleef het...... ;D ;D
So i don`t give it away Richard.
Greets ,Rogier

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »
Quite a well known song.
It became quite the hit.
Popular in the discotheque.
An anthem for many lovers scorned and spurned and fighting back.
I'll leave it there for now - see if you catch it yourself.
;)
Good job I figured it out myself before Rogier gave the game away  ;D
There are a few musical events that I would have given body parts to have witnessed.
This lady, singing one of my favourite songs in 1980, during the civil war in Beirut six years after I left, is one of them.

Hey, I wasn't that far off with 'finding' a cool progression, was I? (E instead of E7sus4).
I'm starting to think something like I, IV, V might be kind of cool... 
I really doubt any of us learning here will come up with any truly original ideas that someone else hasn't done before, but that's not the point is it?
If you discover it yourself, it's new and exciting. And the context will have changed.

You shall have a double set of vibes Mr. Close- one for staying up past your bedtime to answer a student's question; the other for teaching me a cool song in record time  ;)

I haven't had a chance to look at the tritone stuff yet (I was a 2-tone rude boy in my youf 8))
No doubt there are couple more pearls to snout out.

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2021, 05:53:23 pm »
The tritone - the work of the very devil himself (herself?).

The tritone - banned across Christendom some centuries since.

The tritone - the satanic dissonance that makes this riff so beloved of all dwellers of the dark realms

First of all, thanks for explaining the Circle of Fifths in such enlightening clarity. Your excellent graphics illustrate how it's a kind of slide rule for music theory, a wonderfully elegant tool. Thanks for going to all the effort.

I memorized the Circle of Fifths over 40 years ago while studying piano, and used to review it mentally to beguile the time during the too-frequent church services of my oppressively Christian upbringing (Rock & Roll was the work of Satan!). Small wonder, then, that a certain harmony would have put the fear of the Devil into them. Gimme that old-fashioned tritone, it's good enough for me.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2021, 12:38:51 am »
Richard, you are an amazing treasure, wow, such an expansive and explanatory explanation! I knew all the notes on the Circle, and how it worked, but had never connected up the flow of scales and the overlapping clusters. I also hadn’t fit the pentatonic scales into the circle. Good vibes to you for all the wonderful information you share. 😃

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App