Author Topic: Songs from the Playroom (not the Wood) - episode 1  (Read 2645 times)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Songs from the Playroom (not the Wood) - episode 1
« on: April 14, 2020, 06:25:49 am »
Hi,

Of course one of the minor inconveniences of our national lockdown, confinement to home, is the suspension of the Music Club Open Mic evenings that places my regular live performance on hold.

I felt I was starting to make progress in this aspect and didn't want to totally lose momentum.  So recorded this video, replicating as close as possible an Open Mic performance.

For that reason I posted it here.  Richard, if you think it should be in another board, feel free to move it.

It was a weird experience ... which is good, another uncomfortable zone. The number of flubs seemed on a par with Open Mic, so the exercise does at least serve well to provide a similar experience.  Just amazing how one can rehearse many many times and produce a clean, pleasing performance and the minute one steps up to the actual performance, things wobble. 

As they say ... the way to Carnegie Hall is practice, practice, practice.

So I shall keep practicing and performing :)

Stay safe, be well, enjoy

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
Re: Songs from the Playroom (not the Wood) - episode 1
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:49:24 am »
I clapped between each song David, did you hear me? Haven't seen you look this nervous for quite some time, so onya mate for facing another challenge. Your pitch is so much steadier,as is your timing even in your higher range, quite an improvement on the last time I heard you sing this song.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:02:14 am »
Terrific idea to keep your live feel rolling along David. Treating this as a 'performance' to an 'audience' as opposed to knocking out a few tunes at home has certainly put you in a different frame of mind and kept you on your toes. Kudos.  8)

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:59:00 am »
Well done David for adapting to circumstances and putting out your own open-mic for the forum :)

You did really well, esp. as this looks like one continuous take, so none of my usual 'I'll just do that again' shenanigans.
It was a good idea to keep the chat/banter in and I enjoyed the fact you had a 'theme' going.

Your playing is competent and comfortable throughout and throwing in the barre chords for different voicings in Hurricane duly noted. Any flubs are hidden under the hat ;)

As you are drifting further down the performance pathway,a couple of my thoughts:
The three main components in performing are playing, singing and entertaining.
Your playing is as mentioned, solid and you have no worries re confidently entertaining (public speaking, hurrah!)

I remember you commenting in your early days that singing was not an area you were not that fussed about, but there may be some 'low hanging fruit' in this area.
I remember the Edwyn Collins song from back in the days, but sounded different. I had a re-listen to the original and then a quick gander at Justin's lesson (educational morning for me!)

I think you dropped the vocals by a couple of notes in relation to the chords. They still work and sound fine, but different. If my hearing is correct, you are singing E D C B A D B, whereas the original (transposed to the key you are playing in) would be A G F E D G E.
If you are doing this on purpose- kudos.
If it is accidental, it might be a good ear-training and vocal exercise to have a go at the original.
The better you know a song, the easier/ more effective it is to vary.
Most covers that I really like purposefully deviate wildly from the original.

Once again, well done.
I hope some of the above was helpful
If it was codswallop, no doubt I shall be put right and learn something myself  ;)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:29 pm »
I clapped between each song David, did you hear me? Haven't seen you look this nervous for quite some time, so onya mate for facing another challenge. Your pitch is so much steadier,as is your timing even in your higher range, quite an improvement on the last time I heard you sing this song.

Thanks Maggie. I know I can always count on you to be in the audience, cheering me on.

No doubt, first time in a new situation outside my comfort zone, if the relative comfort of the now familiar Open Mic, and the nerves show up.  Somebody once told me the only way to build confidence is to do hard things, survive, learn and do it again.

Delighted to hear that you hear improvement in my singing. Ruby Tuesday is a good work out for shifting in and out of high gear

Terrific idea to keep your live feel rolling along David. Treating this as a 'performance' to an 'audience' as opposed to knocking out a few tunes at home has certainly put you in a different frame of mind and kept you on your toes. Kudos.  8)

Thanks Richard. It is amazing how just making that decision and committing to post come what may, creates that same sense of performing live ... he said as a "veteran" of a half-dozen live performances :)

Well done David for adapting to circumstances and putting out your own open-mic for the forum :)

You did really well, esp. as this looks like one continuous take, so none of my usual 'I'll just do that again' shenanigans.
It was a good idea to keep the chat/banter in and I enjoyed the fact you had a 'theme' going.

Your playing is competent and comfortable throughout and throwing in the barre chords for different voicings in Hurricane duly noted. Any flubs are hidden under the hat ;)

As you are drifting further down the performance pathway,a couple of my thoughts:
The three main components in performing are playing, singing and entertaining.
Your playing is as mentioned, solid and you have no worries re confidently entertaining (public speaking, hurrah!)

I remember you commenting in your early days that singing was not an area you were not that fussed about, but there may be some 'low hanging fruit' in this area.
I remember the Edwyn Collins song from back in the days, but sounded different. I had a re-listen to the original and then a quick gander at Justin's lesson (educational morning for me!)

I think you dropped the vocals by a couple of notes in relation to the chords. They still work and sound fine, but different. If my hearing is correct, you are singing E D C B A D B, whereas the original (transposed to the key you are playing in) would be A G F E D G E.
If you are doing this on purpose- kudos.
If it is accidental, it might be a good ear-training and vocal exercise to have a go at the original.
The better you know a song, the easier/ more effective it is to vary.
Most covers that I really like purposefully deviate wildly from the original.

Once again, well done.
I hope some of the above was helpful
If it was codswallop, no doubt I shall be put right and learn something myself  ;)

Never codswallop from you Brian.  The only comment on your comment was I expected a comment on the post title.

You are right, this was shot start to finish and with a mental commitment that I would post the one and only take, irrespective of how many flubs there were in the total performance.

Glad the theme and banter worked.  It is another layer to just recording a cover.

Now as for my singing, I am singing on purpose ... but it is what it is, as Clint would say about lead play ... I just "let rip". As for knowing what notes I am singing  :o But singing along with originals does sound like a good idea...while playing as well. Would be good practice.  I think as long as nobody reports bleeding ears after listening to my singing of the Ruby Tuesday chorus then all is good  ;D

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:24:01 pm »
I enjoyed the concert! What a great idea, David. Interesting how the nerves surface just in trying something new. I didn't find that in the music mind you, just the banter a bit, and just in places. I wonder - did you have the first intro in particular written down? It sounded a bit like a speech (a good speech mind you) rather than off the cuff chit chat. Maybe it's because this was the first 'open mic' at home, but I'm thinking back to your last open mic performance and I remember thinking how comfortable and chit chatty you were.

Final comment - I thought the vocals on Hurricane were great!  And I look forward to Episode 2  :)
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 07:54:53 am »
Enjoyed the performance David and it came across as very natural even though it must have been a bit odd talking to yourself. Thought all of the songs sounded pretty good with the standout probably being Hurricane. Ruby was obviously a stretch vocally but actually you just about managed to control those higher notes without the voice breaking so that was good. I quite liked your version of Girl like you.

I'd definitely echo the idea of practicing your singing against originals I've always found it a great way to lock in the song in terms of lyrics but also stylistically and you get a feeling how well it will come across and what works and what doesn't.

Enjoyed listening to all of your live performances and look forward to seeing more after the lockdown.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:23:14 pm »
I enjoyed the concert! What a great idea, David. Interesting how the nerves surface just in trying something new. I didn't find that in the music mind you, just the banter a bit, and just in places. I wonder - did you have the first intro in particular written down? It sounded a bit like a speech (a good speech mind you) rather than off the cuff chit chat. Maybe it's because this was the first 'open mic' at home, but I'm thinking back to your last open mic performance and I remember thinking how comfortable and chit chatty you were.

Final comment - I thought the vocals on Hurricane were great!  And I look forward to Episode 2  :)

Thanks very much, Mari, appreciate your observations, encouragement and compliments :)

You are right ... I did have an idea of what I was going to say, as well as the songs.  Not as far as to write it down but didn't want to be waffling and getting carried away with chit-chat.  What I have learned through this experience and participating in a Speech Contest the day before (delivering live in a Zoom meeting) is that my conversational style is linked to being able to actually engage with people directly in the audience as well as the general talk.  So this monologue without feedback and engagement feels quite unnatural.  I guess I shall have to do more episodes to get more comfortable with the process.

Enjoyed the performance David and it came across as very natural even though it must have been a bit odd talking to yourself. Thought all of the songs sounded pretty good with the standout probably being Hurricane. Ruby was obviously a stretch vocally but actually you just about managed to control those higher notes without the voice breaking so that was good. I quite liked your version of Girl like you.

I'd definitely echo the idea of practicing your singing against originals I've always found it a great way to lock in the song in terms of lyrics but also stylistically and you get a feeling how well it will come across and what works and what doesn't.

Enjoyed listening to all of your live performances and look forward to seeing more after the lockdown.

Thanks very much, Rossco. Appreciate you watching and the comments, glad you enjoyed the songs. 

I shall keep playing with originals in mind, look at trying that out when I start working on episode 2.  May be a while before the real thing starts up again, so I expect there shall be an episode 2.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »
I don't see a link, David. I was just about to check it out. Could you repost it?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 04:40:20 pm »
I don't see a link, David. I was just about to check it out. Could you repost it?

How odd, that is a first, Lynn.  I can still see the embedded video in my original post, so let's try a link out to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxoro48WJhs

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:41 pm »
Weird, it's back now. I'll check it out in a bit.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 07:50:19 pm »
My goodness, pure gold! I loved the whole vibe, the happy wanderer hat, the drawing of Quentin Tarantino over your right shoulder, sublime! Your introduction to Ruby Tuesday is off the charts. Good stuff! I found myself playing along with you, your rhythm playing is very good. I started fumbling through the melody to Hurricane. Lots of fun.

Do you mind if I do a snippy, snip on your "Girl Like You", take? With your permission I would like to add a track or two. I love that you tossed the capo and left a lot of space for some extra guitar Tom Foolery. What say you?

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:41 am »
My goodness, pure gold! I loved the whole vibe, the happy wanderer hat, the drawing of Quentin Tarantino over your right shoulder, sublime! Your introduction to Ruby Tuesday is off the charts. Good stuff! I found myself playing along with you, your rhythm playing is very good. I started fumbling through the melody to Hurricane. Lots of fun.

Do you mind if I do a snippy, snip on your "Girl Like You", take? With your permission I would like to add a track or two. I love that you tossed the capo and left a lot of space for some extra guitar Tom Foolery. What say you?

What a fabulous message to read first thing in the morning, Clint, making me feel like gold.

And as it happens, have a good laugh ... the drawing of Tarantino was done by my brother, given to me as a gift back in my 20s and is actually me back then. But now I look at it, I can see how from a distance, in a movie, there's some resemblance.

Please do snip out Girl Like You, go to Town and post up in AVOYP ... I can't think of a greater compliment.  Can't wait to hear it.  And apologies for the one flub 2/3s through that put a little blemish on it and may mess you around.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 03:27:17 pm »
Watched this last night and enjoyed the whole thing. Wondering how you didn't know more than two Stones songs before learning guitar? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, as that seems impossible. Thought having a theme was a good idea, and liked the little commentary in between. Playing was confident, solid strumming, and rhythm, and singing sounded good. Some pretty quick chord changes there looked pretty good.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 04:52:18 pm »
Watched this last night and enjoyed the whole thing. Wondering how you didn't know more than two Stones songs before learning guitar? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, as that seems impossible. Thought having a theme was a good idea, and liked the little commentary in between. Playing was confident, solid strumming, and rhythm, and singing sounded good. Some pretty quick chord changes there looked pretty good.

Lynn, thanks for watching and such positive encouraging comments.

As to the Stones ... well, I guess in the early 80s when I started getting into popular music of various genres, the Stones were not at their best recording wise. In 1980, I still remember that, a friend at school started to give me cassettes of music he thought I should listen to, which didn't include the Stones. Lots of good music ... Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, Queen, Deep Purple. So really didn't know what to expect when varsity friends dragged me to the movie house to watch a Stones concert film.  And after that I got a copy of Hot Rocks and later lots of the original albums.

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 05:52:53 pm »
Enjoyed your playing and I thought the barre chords were impressive. You have come a long way and give me hope that one day I might get to where you are. Looking forward to the next "gig".

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:58:06 pm »
Hey David.

That"s really cool what you are doing here.
And you give me ideas for acoustic songs too.  ;D

The world needs music in these times. keep on playing and having fun

Cheers mate

Kev

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 06:53:09 am »
Enjoyed your playing and I thought the barre chords were impressive. You have come a long way and give me hope that one day I might get to where you are. Looking forward to the next "gig".

Thanks so much Skinny.  For sure, you can.  Follow Justin's BC diligently and you will get where I am.

Hey David.

That"s really cool what you are doing here.
And you give me ideas for acoustic songs too.  ;D

The world needs music in these times. keep on playing and having fun

Cheers mate

Kev

Thanks very much, Kevin, appreciate it.  Look forward to more acoustic songs from you, always a treat.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 06:23:55 pm »
You're living the dream, David.  I watched this before but couldn't post a reply.  What a great way to keep sharp until the next open-mic.  Thanks for a cool private concert.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:54 am »
Good idea David I've also thought of doing this to keep my hand in. My open mic did an online version last week but I was too chicken to have a go for some reason being live online seems worse than standing up in front of people on a pub.

Anyway you did well in this. Solid stuff as I've come to expect from you. The one thing I noted to mention was that you always play an open g chord with you middle finger on the third fret of the 6th string. Do you ever play that chord with the ring finger on the third fret of the 6th? It makes a much easier change from F and C. There was a point in like a hurricane when the changes looked to be coming too fast.

Enjoyed the gig can we expect another one? Maybe we could do a Justin guitar virtual open Mic?....If I can get over my live streaming phobia.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 08:28:52 am »
You're living the dream, David.  I watched this before but couldn't post a reply.  What a great way to keep sharp until the next open-mic.  Thanks for a cool private concert.

Dave, thanks for coming to the show.  It is such a joy to as you say, be living the dream, as indeed we all are over in the Forum ... each of us in our own way. And love that we can share in each other's dreams.

Good idea David I've also thought of doing this to keep my hand in. My open mic did an online version last week but I was too chicken to have a go for some reason being live online seems worse than standing up in front of people on a pub.

Anyway you did well in this. Solid stuff as I've come to expect from you. The one thing I noted to mention was that you always play an open g chord with you middle finger on the third fret of the 6th string. Do you ever play that chord with the ring finger on the third fret of the 6th? It makes a much easier change from F and C. There was a point in like a hurricane when the changes looked to be coming too fast.

Enjoyed the gig can we expect another one? Maybe we could do a Justin guitar virtual open Mic?....If I can get over my live streaming phobia.

Gareth,

I will be first in the queue to get a seat should you do a similar thing.  And based on the last couple you've posted, I know we'll be in for a treat.

And have to say, I am with you in terms of it being another place outside the comfort zone, a different experience to playing for a live audience, despite the same "one shot at it" dynamic.  So I think worth doing every now and then, even if still performing at live Open MIcs.

And I am thinking about the next one, even two ... but think I may have quite some practice ahead before I turn on the camera.

As for G, no I've not invested the time to learn to play that two finger G.  My pinky remains the laggard in the proverbial class.  Guess there'd be lots of plusses to taking some time to do strum-pick-strum and one-minute-changes to get that fingering down and usable.

And I did notice when watching the video, how quickly those changes were coming in the chorus of Hurricane.  Which I guess in itself is useful in terms of pushing on the ability to make fast changes and stay close to time. But for sure, I can see how the index finger being at the ready would make it easier.

Thanks again for the encouragement and thoughts.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 03:44:28 am »
That was really good man.  i couldn't help but notice the Dobro up on your wall.  You need to do an open mic or playroom session with that bad boy.  I'd love to hear it.  👍
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 08:03:15 am »
That was really good man.  i couldn't help but notice the Dobro up on your wall.  You need to do an open mic or playroom session with that bad boy.  I'd love to hear it.  👍

Thanks so much, for taking a look and listen, Joe, appreciate it.

The bad boy has been hanging on the wall the longest time since I picked him up in a odd little shop that sells used guitars, drums and other odds and ends. 

But I have started learning one of Justin's finger-style blues pieces, which is the kind of music I dreamed of playing when I bought the guitar ... as I say, ages back and ahead of being ready to start the learning.  I am up to the first 8 bars and eventually I'll record it for AVOYP.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2020, 04:25:42 pm »
Cool, I can't wait to hear it.  👍
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 04:40:58 pm »
Cool, I can't wait to hear it.  👍

Don't hold your breathe ... going to take a while as I tend to spend more time playing songs than practicing ...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App