Author Topic: Note circle on a fretboard  (Read 665 times)

Offline Peter Bryan

• Good Vibes 0
Note circle on a fretboard
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:47:16 pm »
Hi All
I found Justin's note circle a great tool and very interesting.  However, if you are like me and find it difficult to translate what I saw in the circle onto a guitar fretboard, I'm hoping this might help.  I took a piece of cardboard and drew a fretboard on it.  I then took Justin's note circle and drew all the semitones onto the fretboard for all 6 strings.  I was amazed, when I looked at it, how suddenly things became much clearer for me.  As I looked at my diagram I could see the notes required to make up the cords that Justin was teaching us.  I was going to attach a picture of my note circle fretboard but I don't seem to be able to.  I could not find an attachment option under Attachments and other options. 

Cheers,
Peter

Online joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
Re: Note circle on a fretboard
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:33 pm »
You need five (I think) posts before you can add attachments. :)

Have a read of this.

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=29431.0
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline SquealyEric

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Note circle on a fretboard
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:32:40 pm »
That's a great tip! For me it also helped a lot to step away from my note circle drawings, grab my guitar and say the notes out loud while going down the fretboard. We all learn in different ways, some people need visual cues, others need auditory cues and some people just need to do things!

Right now I haven't progressed far enough in the Practical Music Theory course to understand why these things are the way they are though, but I'm looking forward to reaching that goal eventually.
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112V ('Squealy'), Simon Rees Telecaster ('Domino')

Get The Forum As A Mobile App