Author Topic: frito's road case  (Read 4659 times)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: frito's road case
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 10:58:04 pm »
My brother-in-law bought me the Guitar pro license and I'm taking my first crack at it.  I am determined to learn Wish You Were Here all the way through vs. just the first four bar riff.  I find I can only follow the videos to a certain point and then either need notes or a proper tab.  Sooo, I'm trying to work up the tab for it.  Software is a bit more challenging than I thought it would be but I'm sure I'm just facing the new user learning curve. 

After reading Justin's email and IG post, I wrote out some goals for 2021 to help keep me honest and motivated.  They include learning five Christmas songs and committing them to memory by Christmas 2021 as a long range goal.  Short term goal is to learn all of Wish you Were Here by the end of January.  Mid-term goal includes mastering Happy Birthday finger style (man it should NOT be as hard as it is).

Finally, I've been playing my 12 string a lot more now that it's back in my office.  Boy oh boy did I forget how much I love its sound.  That is what I plan to use for Wish You Were Here.  I even tried the Animals version of House of the Rising Sun (fingerstyle) and played around with Justin's Blues riff on it.  Challenging but fun.

Anyway, I wish everybody a happy, safe and HEALTHY New Year.  2020, don't let the door hit 'ya where the sun don't shine.   :P
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2021, 01:44:06 am »
Happy 2021 to you Frito as well, you have some ambitious goals in front of you which will definitely make your guitar year busy and interesting. Hope to see how it's going for you in the next weeks to come.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2021, 06:01:52 am »
Sounds good, Joe, keep on keeping on! All the best for 2021.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »
Thanks gang.  I gave Wish You Were here a go on the 12 string this morning.  After listening to the actual song, I definitely want to learn it on the 12 string as it sounds to me like Pink Floyd is using a 12 string in it.

It's not my first go at it so hopefully I can achieve my end of January goal.  I don't know what it is about recording myself but I find I don't play as well when I'm recording myself vs. just playing.  I'm sure it's just mental.  Anyway, here's one of the videos with fewer mistakes.

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2021, 06:56:33 pm »
Nicely played, the 12 string sounds so full and bright on this. :)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2021, 09:10:51 pm »
Nicely played, the 12 string sounds so full and bright on this. :)
Thank you Richard.  Hard to believe that old guitar is more than 36 years old. 
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2021, 04:33:22 am »
Nicely done! I'm working on Wish You Were Here on 12-string too. Playing both strings of each course consistently is the one thing I find challenging. You seem to do it with ease.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2021, 05:40:26 am »
That is sounding so good, Joe, well played and keep going.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2021, 07:51:11 am »
Nice one Joe, used to love my Eko ranger 12 that I had many years ago, unfortunately it got badly damaged (beyond economic repair) in a motoring accident. For some reason it never got replaced; I must admit that I do have a bit of GAS for the Harley Benton Rickenbacker 12 copy but I’m keeping it in check (just 😂)!

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »
Nicely done! I'm working on Wish You Were Here on 12-string too. Playing both strings of each course consistently is the one thing I find challenging. You seem to do it with ease.
Thanks TS.  It helps that the 'ole 12 string is the only guitar I owned from Christmas 1983 to March 2017 when I bought my Gretsch hollow body.  The first time I learned guitar back in the '80's it was on the 12 string.  I'm actually facing a different challenge now in that I'm also working on the lead.  I'm finding the lead doesn't sound quite right hitting both strings so I'm playing around to see if I can use all up picks to hit only the "natural" string.  Of course, bending the high strings is an issue in of itself as well.  In Justin's video he talks about the difficulty of bending on the acoustic.  The challenge is doubly difficult on the 12 string, but since it's the only acoustic that's what I'm going to learn it on.

That is sounding so good, Joe, well played and keep going.
Thanks David.

Nice one Joe, used to love my Eko ranger 12 that I had many years ago, unfortunately it got badly damaged (beyond economic repair) in a motoring accident. For some reason it never got replaced; I must admit that I do have a bit of GAS for the Harley Benton Rickenbacker 12 copy but I’m keeping it in check (just 😂)!
Thanks Darrell.  I'm sorry to hear about your twelve string.  A coworker was telling me just last month how he lost his favorite acoustic in a car accident years ago and now just has an electric. 

You mention the Rickenbacker clone.  One of my favorite bands has been doing a livestream every Tuesday night and on the rare occasion they have all been in the Studio together they play a magnificent Rickenbacker 12 string.  What impresses me even more is how seamlessly they play lead on it as well.  You can see it at the 1:04:51 mark in the below video.  Is this the Rickenbacker you mention (In know you mentioned a clone but is this the real deal?)

I tried to post to the exact spot but kept getting a replay error.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2021, 02:09:15 pm »
Hi Frito, yes that looks like the real deal! Way beyond the sort of money I could justify spending but a fabulous guitar!
This is the one I’m gassing after:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_rb_612cs_classic_series.htm
It’s a really great instrument for how much it costs, look at the reviews!

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2021, 10:38:34 pm »
Hi Frito, yes that looks like the real deal! Way beyond the sort of money I could justify spending but a fabulous guitar!
This is the one I’m gassing after:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_rb_612cs_classic_series.htm
It’s a really great instrument for how much it costs, look at the reviews!
That looks really cool for the price.  Wow.  This is going to sound very odd, but it took me a few rounds of watching him play the Rickenbacker to finally convince myself it's a twelve string.  On a close up I noticed the dual strings but when panning out the way the tuners are set, it looked like a six string.  I finally searched online because I was driving myself nuts.  Yes, I tend to observe the quirky little things.  lol
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2021, 11:12:16 pm »
That looks really cool for the price.  Wow.  This is going to sound very odd, but it took me a few rounds of watching him play the Rickenbacker to finally convince myself it's a twelve string.  On a close up I noticed the dual strings but when panning out the way the tuners are set, it looked like a six string.  I finally searched online because I was driving myself nuts.  Yes, I tend to observe the quirky little things.  lol
Yeah, the pegs are at 90 degrees on a real Ricky, that’s the main way you can tell them from a copy! The HB is amazingly good for what it costs and well worth the cost of having it properly set up!

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2021, 03:00:47 am »
UGH, I can't believe it's almost May.  Multiple months of working 12 - 16 hour days has put a serious crimp in achieving the goals I laid out in January.  I think I need to rework the lyrics to "Mamma Don' Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Caowboys" to "Mamma Don't Let Your Baby's Grow Up to be Accountants"  ::)

I have managed to play Wish You Were Here all the way through but still can't sing to it.  Other than that I've not made much progress.  A couple songs have caught my attention after hearing them pop up on my Spotify feed while working. 

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls caught my attention and I was playing that for a while.  My daughter let me use her guitar so I didn't have to bounce back and forth between the funky tuning.  I think I got it pretty close but it's been a few weeks since I worked on it. 

I have heard a few different renditions of John Prine's Angel From Montgomery also which has inspired me.  After looking at tabs from various artists, I settled on the Tedeschi Trucks Band rendition as it seems to be more in my vocal range.  I did a recording of it tonight and m going to to go out on the ledge and post it up in the Performance section.  Not great but... 

I hope you are all doing well.  i perused through a couple road cases this evening and was inspired by what I read.  Sorry I didn't chime in but suffice it to say, you all inspired me to get moving on it a bit this evening so thank you one and all.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2021, 09:03:27 am »
Good to hear from you, Joe.

Really enjoyed Angel From Montgomery. Look forward to Iris when you get to record that.

Glad you are well and keeping up your guitar.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2021, 12:45:57 pm »
Thanks David.  Hmm,  I may have to break out of my comfort zone for that.  I'll try to give it a go.  I think my wife likes that more than a lot of what I play.   :D

I will say, I'm just getting over the finger pain again.  It stinks how quickly the calluses go away and how long they take to come back.  I also practice in my office since I can close the door.  I initially brought the guitars in here thinking I'd take multiple five minute breaks throughout the day.  Instead, the breaks didn't come and the last thing I wanted to do was spend more time in here at the end of the day, hence the guitars collecting dust for a few months. 
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2021, 06:29:11 am »
Joe, it is tough coming back and having to go through the finger pain stage again. I can empathize with the making of what seems like a logical plan but one that in the end doesn't work out. Make a new plan and keep on rocking and rolling.

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2021, 07:37:28 pm »
Thanks TS.  It helps that the 'ole 12 string is the only guitar I owned from Christmas 1983 to March 2017 when I bought my Gretsch hollow body.  The first time I learned guitar back in the '80's it was on the 12 string.  I'm actually facing a different challenge now in that I'm also working on the lead.  I'm finding the lead doesn't sound quite right hitting both strings so I'm playing around to see if I can use all up picks to hit only the "natural" string.  Of course, bending the high strings is an issue in of itself as well.  In Justin's video he talks about the difficulty of bending on the acoustic.  The challenge is doubly difficult on the 12 string, but since it's the only acoustic that's what I'm going to learn it on.

Having had the 12-string as my only guitar as I started to re-learn guitar about a year ago, I can certainly relate. Though it was a bit of an uphill climb, I adapted. While practicing flatpicking, I discovered that if I was careful, I could play only the lowest strings on the upstroke to sound like a 6-string, as you've mentioned. I've gained enough finger strength that once I got an electric, I had to learn a lighter touch to avoid bending the strings off the edge of the neck. String bends on 12-string is quite a challenge, but with practice & determination you can achieve the seemingly impossible.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Get The Forum As A Mobile App