Author Topic: frito's road case  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
Re: frito's road case
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2020, 09:48:00 am »
Good stuff Joe! Keep practicing that f..ing chord.  In a short time you'll be hearing the angelic sound of F and C notes ringing out from your high E and b strings whilst playing the dreaded but appropriately named 'F' chord. 
Hope you don't mind but the F chord, I love it!  Here's why.   
Firstly,  getting that F chord mastered is more of a breakthrough than you might think, and much more than just one chord. F chord is a traveller, a moveable chord.  That F chord exactly as you've learned it when moved to the correct fret can be any major chord including the sharps and flats.    So by simply sliding that F chord up 1 fret it becomes F# major, another fret it becomes Gmajor, and so on. 
These chords are used in countless songs by thousands (gestimation) of guitarists.   So take your time with F now you know it's true identity as a hard worker.   Also you want to play the chord well knowing that at a moment's notice you could be relocating it.
Cool chord F, it cops a lot of negativity but it's almost the MVP of the open major chords imo.   
You never finish learning the guitar. You can stop but you can't finish, so buckle up it's a wild ride.  The learning gets easier but the lessons get harder.
PS. I understand that most chords are moveable, however few move with the dignity poise and grace of the F chord.

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:27:38 am by Alex6strings »
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2020, 10:03:41 am »
Joe, if you have a Capo try putting it on the first fret of your 12 string after retuning down to D# - all strings down a semitone. I had the same problem years ago when I had a 12 string and it helped a great deal!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:38:42 am by DarrellW »

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2020, 10:33:57 am »
Joe, if you have a Capo try putting it on the first fret of your 12 string after retuning down to F# - all strings down a semitone. I had the same problem years ago when I had a 12 string and it helped a great deal!
Hey Darrell, I know it's just a typo but thought if I left it it might cause confusion.  Just pointing out that tuning down a semi tone will be D#. 

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 10:38:13 am »
Hey Darrell, I know it's just a typo but thought if I left it it might cause confusion.  Just pointing out that tuning down a semi tone will be D#. 
Oops 😬  Fibro fog 😂😂😂

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2020, 04:00:34 am »
DarrelW, you are a bloody genius!  👍  I actually had a Shubb capo on order which came yesterday.  Tonight I tuned it down a semitone, capo on first fret and viola - I can play a proper F on the 12 string.  not as well as the hollow body but about half the time all the strings ring out.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I still want to get to playing a proper F in standard tuning but this is a great start.
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 05:06:07 am »
DarrelW, you are a bloody genius!  👍  I actually had a Shubb capo on order which came yesterday.  Tonight I tuned it down a semitone, capo on first fret and viola - I can play a proper F on the 12 string.  not as well as the hollow body but about half the time all the strings ring out.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I still want to get to playing a proper F in standard tuning but this is a great start.
No need to be a masochist, I left mine on rather than getting a lighter gauge set 😊
The thing is that if your nut is cut slightly high it takes that out of the equation, I like zero fret guitars for that reason, it’s just a good way to make things easier for yourself.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
Hey all, I know this going to sound bizarre, and no I didn't go on a bender last night  :o.  So shortly before I woke up this morning I had a dream I was going through a lesson on the Justinguitar.com site that as far as I know doesn't exist.  It referenced a "double hammer on" on the fifth fret of either or both the third and forth strings with a slide up to the second fret.  What I don't know is if it meant:

• Hammer from open to the fifth and the sixth fret on both strings then slide up
  • Hammer from open to the fifth and sixth on just one string the slide
  • Hammer from the fifth to sixth then slide on both strings

The only thing I do know for certain is that it ended with harmonics on both the D and G strings.

I gave it a whirl with each scenario to see what it sounds like.  Of course, since I'm still in the beginner phase it sounds like junk.  If any of you more accomplished players would like to give it whirl to see if you can get some good sound out of it and post it up, please do.  I'm curious to see if my "dream lesson" might actually sound half way decent if a seasoned player plays it.

Here's a YouTube of my less than stellar attempt at it.

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 03:35:07 pm »
Good to just play around and see how things sound.  Harmonics sounded good and the slide down.  Keep on jamming ...

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 05:49:27 am »
I can't help you with your thing because I am way behind you in experience playing, but it's intriguing you dreamed about it. Definitely keep working on it. It's good you documented it now. If you keep working on it, and it changes you can look back months from now and see what it becomes. (since it came to you and it affected you enough to play it when you woke up. There's something there.) I kinda wish I had dreams that gave me licks or riffs to practice.

... I can't help it. I've been working on Two Djinn. As Bobby wrote: "Dreams are lies, it's the dreaming that's real." 😉
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 05:04:00 am »
Thanks David and TS

OK, this is nowhere near where near where I want it to be for the performance section so I'm popping it into my road case.  I finally have Hurt to where I'm not completely embarrassed to share it.  I still have a lot of work on fast perfect changes to the F.  I find I keep laying down the "E" shape with fingers 2 - 4 and then laying down the bar vs. getting all four to move into position all at once.  I'll get there eventually, just not there yet.

Oh, and CT, I took your advice and am laying down a true Dsus2 ;)  That added some time to my learning it vs. the C slide.  Anyway, here it is.

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 08:51:46 am »
Indeed, no cause for embarrassment, Joe. I enjoyed listening to this and you surely are well on your way.

Feel it is a little bit above my grade to offer specific critique as to what to work on to take this to the next level (beyond the obvious work on the chord change to F).

Maybe just to spend more time listening to the Cash original, perhaps trying to play along, to get even more of the feel of it.

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 11:16:55 am »
I read this thread and listened to some of the recordings. Enjoyed some nice performances of songs, I would not listen on a regular basis but knew most of them! Keep rockin' 8)!

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 07:43:02 pm »
Wow, didn't realize how long it's been since I've been on the forums.  I've been kind of stuck on lessons 12 -14 in grade 2.  I've long had a keen interest in fingerstyle and Blues and they are a slow go - especially finger style. Who would have thought I would spend hours trying to master Happy Birthday and still struggle with it.   :-\  Of course it doesn't help that I've not been as religious with my practice as I was earlier.  I still practice at least a couple time of week and am trying to get back into the regular daily groove I was in earlier in the year.

Anyway, I decided to really put myself out there.  I work in accounting for our company.  Our CFO's birthday is tomorrow and our Corporate Controller is putting together a VidHug (video hug I guess) for his birthday so I played fingerstyle Happy Birthday for him on it.  Of course, the entire accounting and finance organization will be able to see it once it's presented to him 😳  I recorded it directly on the site and couldn't save off my contribution so I recorded it playing on my computer with my cell phone. 

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 05:42:30 am »
Nice playing on Happy Birthday!

Don't be hard on yourself with fingerstyle. It takes a lot to build up that right hand dexterity, and then get that thumb independence! I've been at fingerstyle pretty much daily 2 years and counting and still feel I completely suck at it, although I prefer it 100000% to using picks. Each skill takes a heck of a lot of practice and there's billions of subtleties to both which don't really transfer between picks and fingers, the ideas do, but the actual techniques differ. (That i'm aware of anyway.)

Anyway, welcome back frito! Good luck with fingerstyle! Keep at it, you're doing awesome! :)
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2020, 06:04:03 am »
GOOD GOOD VIBES  8)   8)   8)  ... all caps and extra cool emojis for that share

Great to hear from you again, Joe, and what a landmark moment to remember, an unforgettable one because it is such a huge first, to put yourself out there performing live in front of people.

To keep this short, I can only nod and nod and nod as I read your reflection of the time since you last posted a song here.  I can so relate to everything you said, my reflection over the last while will have similar themes (will post that up next week in my RC when I reflect on the day of my 4-year JGversary).

Be positive, celebrate all you have achieved and how you've progressed, and keep on keeping on.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 04:15:30 am »
Thanks gang.  Just to be clear, it was Memorex, not live 😂  It went into a video compilation that gets emailed to him. 

Anyway, I decided to record a video on my phone which is easier to watch than a video of a flashing computer screen.  It is still tough but I think this is a bit better.  I can totally relate to a comment on the course discussion that "I never thought Happy Birthday would be the song that would cause me to consider quitting guitar".  Now I never got that dejected with it but man oh man is it toucher than it looks.  I took some advice and focused just on the E-B-G string segments without the base notes got to the point I good rip it off pretty well.  But as soon as I add in the base notes with me I fell like a ten month old learning to walk.  There's just something about combining the base note with the high notes simultaneously that just mess me up and requires so much more concentration. 

Without further adieu, here's the video of Happy Birthday.  It still needs work but I'm getting there.

While I was at it I recorded a stab at The Animals version of House of the Rising Sun.  It actually seems easier than Happy Birthday since the base note is played by itself vs. combined with other notes.  I didn't try to do all the bridges, etc. in this version - just wanted to get through the song.  It's hard enough to remember the lyrics while playing right now much less trying to get the bridges.  I'm sure that will come with time assuming I practice consistently.  I hope my singing doesn't make your ears bleed.  ;)

Finally I recorded a go at Justin's Blues Lead practice.  Again, I did this finger style vs. with a pick since finger style is my main goal.  Stills needs some work to sound really tasty but it's getting there.

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 06:40:14 am »
Good job on the videos, Joe. Watched all three and lots to like and commend you on progress being made.

I certainly can relate to what you say about finger-picking. Developing the ability to use the fingers and thumb independently is nowhere near as easy as how the pros make it look. I started down that road when I declared myself ready to consolidate the BC, and while I know I have made progress if I look back over my shoulder I am not that far down the road. But I do love it.

So keep at it and remind yourself periodically how impossible it was to form chords, makes changes, and strum when you first started. Know then that it is just a matter of time and these skills can also be learned.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2020, 08:49:58 am »
Keep on the good path Joe, all takes time, time and practice. You're doing the right things and it'll pay off.  :)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2020, 09:09:40 am »
Sounded good Joe and definitely looks like the practice is paying off.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2020, 10:03:45 am »
Well done Joe, great progress there. I’m another would be fingerpicker. I started fingerstyle at the beginning of the year and promised myself I’d reach a reasonable standard by the end of the year. Well, a bit like the Brexit negotiations, I’m running out of time!
It takes so much practice and concentration especially if you’re singing as well and I don’t practice it exclusively so find that if I come back to it after maybe a week or so it takes a while just to get back to where I was. 

Regarding ‘Happy Birthday’, I find just bashing out the chords works fine as everyone is singing anyway and not listening to the guitar! 😃
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
My road case :- https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Twin Six

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2020, 02:05:23 am »
Nice work! And you play 12-string too. I so far haven't had the wherewithal to figure out how to record myself, so thanks for providing some inspiration. Keep up the good work.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2020, 10:25:58 pm »
Thanks all

@sairfingers - I thought about just playing the high strings which I can bash out but wanted to challenge myself.   ;)

TwinSix - I've been following your road case.  From what I've read, go ahead and post up.  If I can do it, so can you.   :)  Re: the 12 string - I actually started out on the 12 string back in late 1983/early 1984.  Probably why I gave up on the F chord for 30+ years.  🤣  I love the sound.  Oddly enough, in some regards the 'ole 12 string is more forgiving than my hollow body.  Of course, in other cases it amplifies my mistakes, er areas on which I need to work.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2020, 11:05:04 pm »
I think nothing except proud you should feel about your videos, I think you play well and it will only get better from the moment you posted those videos :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2020, 11:07:13 pm »
I think nothing except proud you should feel about your videos, I think you play well and it will only get better from the moment you posted those videos :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Thanks.  Now I need to get off the forum and do a little practice. 🤣
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 03:04:06 am »
We moved my daughter home from her five month Co-Op assignment over the weekend which meant I got to get my 12 string off of the wall mount in her bedroom and set it up on her guitar stand in my office.  Tuned it up and played it for the first time in months.  Man oh man, I have gotten lazy playing my hollow body.  I played a few rounds of the Blues lick in Justin's beginner course followed by a try at finger style "House of the Rising Sun" (No it is not post worthy yet).  Boy did I ever feel the burn in my left arm after just a few minutes.  The fingers are fine but pressing down on the strings on the 12 vs. electric really builds up the forearm.  I think I need to make the 12 string my primary practice guitar for a while to get the strength back in my arm. 
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Get The Forum As A Mobile App