Author Topic: TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE  (Read 20079 times)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2021, 03:59:38 am »
Wow, what an amazing job.  I am happy for you that your were able to find someone to do such incredible work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Online SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2021, 08:30:05 am »
Yess congrats Toby! So happy it all worked out in the end. You know after that Schecter thread you started I've been really GASing after a Nick Johnston SSS (huge fan of his) but I realised I have most of the parts on hand to put together a pretty badass Strat partscaster so I'll be doing that instead.

My birthday is coming up though and a particular LP caught my eye so looks like I'll be joining the club soon.

Sent from my SM-N985F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2021, 08:58:07 am »
What a delight when what initially is a "your world fell out your bottom" (dear me) moment becomes a win in more ways than one.

Now I have to ask ... what do you notice when playing both your LPs. I assume they have the same spec, other than finish. I'd currently not even go to my own good lady who is ever so supportive to acquire a second electric (local store as G&L tele-style guitars) let along another LP-style.

Look forward to catching up with you at the upcoming face-face events and enjoying all else that flows from the Madman's Dojo.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2021, 10:48:47 am »
That is one hell of a repair. From what i can see on the pictures; if you didn't knew it happened, you couldn't say it did.

That luthier sure knows his job. It's good to see her joining the family again.

Now to keep her safe from falling again..... ;D
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2021, 10:55:53 am »
 8)
Regards,
Robert

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2021, 12:22:47 pm »
double win bro!

Yes, in many cases, snapped LP headstocks can be repaired, even though it looks like like a fatal accident.

happy to hear this story has a double-happy-ending ^^
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2021, 08:34:16 am »
Quick thank you for all the responses and yep it truly is an awesome repair but the big difference, after Steve set it up, was its playability. Late Wednesday evening I spent 80 minutes impro-ing over some good old rock backing tracks, as the best of my abilities allow. But it felt so effortless as the action is sooo good and silky smooth. I am convinced Steve has done a far superior job on the LP, when I compare it to the couple of set ups I had done on my old Affinity and the Washburns. I know they are all different but I suspect he will be able to elevate them to the same level. So one by one I'll be taking all my toys round to SRB with the guarantee they will have the best possible base setting.   

When he restarts the maintenance workshop, I'll take the opportunity to learn how to do thing properly. I have enough knowledge to keep things ticking over but think it will be good to be taught by a pro. On top of that we discussed possible lessons, as he was teaching for 30 years in the UK but has been more focused on the building side over here. So something I'll follow up once the Covid situation improves, as I am at a point where 121 lesson should be a benefit............I hope and he's darned good.

Just a couple of answers to some questions raised.

Ivan - Its your birthday, go for it.  ;)

Stitch - huge thanks for actually pointing out a good luthier could repair the LP.  And Steve would seem to be more than good, given the outcome. And who would thought he'd be right on the doorstep !

Does it sound any different than before the break ? Not that I can tell plays a hell of a lot better.

Doses it sound any different to  Smokey given the only difference is the finish ? Well not to my ears but with any electric it all depends what's in the FX chain. But given I thought Cherry was consigned to the parts bin and Smokey was smokin I just had to have it.

Which also calls for a big thank you to my good lady who has always supported my passions. With her heart issues, its been a difficult 15 months for us both and agreeing to yet another LP for my 65th was I guess her thank you to me for the last year or so. And a day later when I told I had arranged to visit Steve to see what could be done, she told me I'd be stupid not to and to get it sorted. So I am indeed a lucky man.

Like I said, a dog with two tails !!

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2021, 11:05:13 am »
Great to hear such a happy ending to the story Toby. Fantastic that you found a terrific guy locally.👍 The last local guy I spoke to prior to lockdown said amongst other things that it wasn’t a problem if you took too much off a saddle, you just needed to shim it up with a bit of cardboard!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2021, 08:28:55 am »
Hey thanks Gordon and yes there are some scary so called techs out there.

I've also heard about folks using cardboard or paper as shims. I'll be taking the others back for a fettle bit by bit but will need to prioritising. Mim Strat has some selector issues at the moment, especially engaging the neck pup and I am convinced the shop in Rennes cut the "e" groove on the HB30's nut too low, as the string is just a gnats off the fret !! Probably the SG after that but we will see but if they all end up as good as Cheery I'll be well chuffed.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »
As it was my 65th this year, my good lady had been constantly asking what I wanted, for what was once a milestone UK birthday (but my state pension now starts next year). So browsing on the Thomann website and loitering on the image of a complete Cherry in all her splendour, such was the disappointment  ;) when a few clicks later revealed a gorgeous Smokehouse Burst Studio LP and my heart melted. It did not take much persuading from my wife, for me to agree it would make a fine birthday present. So although the brown box arrived long before the big day, I waited patiently until the 30th of March before fully welcoming Smokey into my life.

]

Sorry to be late to the party. Now, I'm no fan of burst finishes, but that is truly gorgeous. Congratulations.  You've managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Get The Forum As A Mobile App