Author Topic: frito's road case  (Read 4398 times)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
frito's road case
« on: April 05, 2020, 05:27:01 am »
Hi all, i am doing the Grade 1 Lesson 7 practice routing and trying to "pass" so I'm ready when Grade 2 goes up.  I can play two songs, albeit a bit rough, from memory as part of the learn five from memory.  They are a couple songs from The Band of Heathens I've been dying to learn.  One has a couple chords that weren't in grade one but they weren't major additions like the upcoming "dreaded F". 

A little backstory - I attempted to learn guitar a few times while in grade school but was never dedicated.  I don't think the $50 nylon string Hondo guitar I was using inspired me all that much (I know, excuses, excuses).  Anyway, when I was a senior in high school in 1983 a classmate who is an excellent guitar player learned I had interest in guitar.  He taught me the basic chords that are covered in Justin's grade one and the basic 4/4 and 3/4 strumming patterns .  I got a sigma 12 string as an early Christmas present and began playing guitar with him at our weekly school class mass service.  I then played at the Sunday mass at our college dorm for the next four years.  The thing is, in all that time, I never really ventured beyond the basic chords and a "cheater" F chord.  Nor did I venture beyond the handful of songs we played at mass.  Limiting myself to a few church songs left me uninspired and my guitar sat in its case for the next 30 years.  I would break it out from time to time in an attempt to teach myself but never got very far. 

Three years ago I used anniversary award money from work to buy an entry level Gretsch hollow body so I could try acoustic or electric but still didn't progress.  I finally stumbled upon Justin's site.  The clean layout, natural progressions and focus on playing songs vs. individual notes is just what i need to jump start my practice and playing.  I was using the traditional training last year and got up to the 7th chords but as usual, life got in the way.  Finally late last year i saw NITSUJ's practice sessions and the new beginner course.  I practiced along with NITSUJ and am now wrapping up grade one, anxiously awaiting grade two as I try to learn five songs from memory.  As i mentioned in the beginning, I finally learned two band of Heathen's songs, Jackson Station and Hurricane (which I think CCR actually did first).  I am far, far, far from perfect but finally to the point I'm willing to share my progress with others.  I hope my singing doesn't make your ears bleed.  I cut the grass today and my nose and throat are a bit scruffy as a result.  Without further adieu, here are the links to my playing.  One is on the Grestch and the other on my old Sigma.  Please let me know if the links don't work as I have them in a shared Google album.  I can put them up on YouTube if the link doesn't work.

Hurricane on the Gretsch hollow body -

Jackson Station on the Sigma 12 string -

1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: frito's road case
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 06:23:59 am »
Not bad at all, quite decent in fact - keep going this time, you’ve come to the right place and are on the best path to learning how to play the guitar! You’ve already got 2 nice instruments so all you have to do now is follow the course, keep posting as you learn and keep practicing and learning songs!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 12:27:17 pm »
Absolutely and, with the current situation, I guess you probably have a lot more spare time on your hands to practice.

And you have, in this community, a supportive group of people to ask questions, get advice from, and to help develop with. So keep it up and, above all, enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:11:37 pm »
Joe,

Welcome to the Justin Guitar Community.  And an entrance made with great aplomb.  I really enjoyed both of your performance below.  Both recordings sound really good with a good balance between guitar and vocal.

Your playing seems smooth and steady to me, chords well formed, clean changes and you can play and sing in a natural, relaxed way.

The only suggestion I'd make is to go check the area of the Forum where people post up recordings of their performances.  And then re-post these videos there.  Reason being that not everybody reads every post and many may not follow postings in the Road Cases area.  And that means others will miss out on your recordings and you'll receive less feedback.

Look forward to following on as you progress.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
Hi frito and welcome.

First, what a wonderful way to introduce yourself.
Given that you provided a lot of back story and other detail I moved your post to 'road cases' where it seemed a more suitable location.
Two nice guitars and so plenty of motivation for you to really up your learning and do the things you didn't do before.
You will have the warmest of welcomes here and any help or support you need will come freely and readily.
:)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 05:01:33 pm »
Thanks everybody.  I really appreciate the warm welcome and encouragement.  I guess we really are our own worst critics.   ;)  I'll try to work up the courage to put them up in the performances section.

Oddly enough, I actually haven't the extra time some now have in these strange times.  You see, i'm an accountant in the midst of our annual fiscal year close.  Thanks to technology I can work from home.  While I no longer have a 1 1/2 total commute per day, I have been putting in 15 hour days.  That being said, I did move my guitars from my living room to my office so when I need a five minute mental break I can pick one up and strum a bit. 

Stay safe and healthy and keep on strumming.   :)
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 03:26:55 am »
Here's a couple more.  This first one is about 1/2 tempo or so, no singing, of Ryan Bingham's Southside of Heaven. I'm trying to mix the strum and the hammer on.  It's gonna take a bit to get this one up to full tempo and to where I can sing with it.  I also need to mix in an Em -> Cadd9 -> four finger G switch up on the chorus.

An actual live version of it for those of you not familiar with it is here.  I need Justin to do a harmonica course like his guitar courses.   ;D

And here's a full stab at Steve Earl's Copperhead Road.  Sorry, I got a little rambunctious towards the end. 

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »
Really good going, Joe.  You have that bass note-strum looking steady, accurate hitting of the bass note.

I'm very impressed with you ability to play that rhythm steady on Copperhead Road will phrasing all those lyrics and kept it pretty tidy in the ending when you upped the energy.

Good job.  And take it from me, that Copperhead Road is fine enough to be posted on the Performance Area without you needing to feel any fears of looking silly, embarrassed etc.  Everybody starts somewhere and you are way better than the first audio I posted 3 years ago.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
Thanks David.  I appreciate it.  As I'm sure many do, I have to feel the music in order to play it.  I always loved watching BB King play - his facial expressions, etc.  you could just tell he could feel every note he was playing.  I find I do better when I let go of robotic perfection and allow myself to feel the music.  Maybe once I get Southside of Heaven down I'll post a couple on the performance board.

On a side note, I've just been reading your road case.  What an inspiring journey.  Since I'm technically at work right now I haven't yet a chance to listen to your sound board recordings but I did watch the video of you playing out of the trunk of your car.  That was great.  I love live performances better than anything. 

Cheers for now.  I hope to feel confident enough in the last couple "First Five" songs in the next week or two to post them up on the performance section.  Now if I can just learn the riff to Copperhead Road.   ;)
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 05:02:41 pm »
Thanks very much, Joe, appreciate you reading the Road Case.  The trunk of the car was quite a moment.  And eventually I got up the courage to play at an Open Mic and those videos are on my YT channel.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:30:53 am »
OK David.  Thanks for all your encouragement.  I did it.  I posted a version of For What it's Worth with harmonics in the audio/video of you playing section.  https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=46809.0
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 02:38:51 am »
Yeah, 😁👍 Nice playing Frito. Love your guitars.

I'm not up to posting in the video/audio section yet myself, you're definitely up to doing so though! I prefer keeping my attempts well hidden in my journal where most people won't hear me murder innocent songs lol. Might change my mind eventually, but you will get farther so much faster with a bunch of people's feedback. :) (Might get braver if I can get rid of my noise problem, who knows.)

Anyway, nice playing, & good feel on the songs you played. Definitely keep it up! Good luck finding harmonica tutorials too! :)

Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 09:47:05 am »
Good to read another update and to see you enjoying yourself with more songs ... :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 02:43:10 am »
You're on your way like a rocket. Dig your Gretsch. I have a G2622. Keep at and hope to see more of you and those snazzy curtains. :)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 04:23:49 am »
Thanks gang.  Been a busy work week.  I saw Justin posted up lesson 8 earlier today so I jumped on it and to my surprise, the chords he covered are actually the three chords in one of the first five songs i'm trying to memorize - Cadd9, Big G and E min7.  Go figure, i guess i was jumping the gun with trying to learn Southside of Heaven.  Anyway, i decided to mess around a bit with some of the chords in his new lesson 8 this evening bouncing between F 6/9, Cadd9 and Big G.  without further adieu, here's some Americana for you  ;)

Oh, and Ct i took a look at some reviews of the G2622.  Looks like a sweet guitar.

Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 10:32:34 am »
Some groovy hammer-on action going on there frito and you're giving your 3rd and 4th fingers a heck of a workout.
Good stuff.

Might I suggest you start to use a pick for such strumming. Your tone and definition of notes will have added brilliance and clarity.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 01:51:13 pm »
That's quite a work out, Joe.  Keep at that, fine tune the rhythm and you must be close to Sweet Home Alabama :)

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 02:51:40 pm »
Some groovy hammer-on action going on there frito and you're giving your 3rd and 4th fingers a heck of a workout.
Good stuff.

Might I suggest you start to use a pick for such strumming. Your tone and definition of notes will have added brilliance and clarity.
Thanks closee2u.  Yeah, as i was reviewing the video before I uploaded I too was thinking it would be so much better with a pick.  I would love to use a pick and was wishing I could use one; however, my family gets quite annoyed with me when I play louder than their liking.  It was around 11:30 PM local time when I was trying this out and they would have killed me.  Maybe I'll give it whirl on the Gretsch.  I can use a pick on it and it not be so loud but the 'ole 12 string was just calling me last night.

That's quite a work out, Joe.  Keep at that, fine tune the rhythm and you must be close to Sweet Home Alabama :)
Thanks David, hadn't even considered giving Sweet home Alabama a go yet.  That one seemed too far off for me.  I'm finding keeping the the rhythm, especially in the songs like Copperhead Road riffs and Southside of Heaven challenging.  The latter especially so when I try to incorporate singing.  How he can also incorporate a harmonica blows me away.

On a side note, I think it's past time to restring both guitars.  I don't remember the last time I restrung the 12 string and I haven't restrung the Gretsch since I've owned it - three years now.  I haven't been as consistent playing until January of this year though so it's not like it's been three years of daily playing with the same strings.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:34:18 pm by frito »
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 03:10:38 pm »
Thanks David, hadn't even considered giving Sweet home Alabama a go yet.  That one seemed too far off for me.  I'm finding keeping the the rhythm, especially in the songs like Copperhead Road riffs and Southside of Heaven challenging.  The latter especially so when I try to incorporate singing.  How he can also incorporate a harmonica blows me away.

Don't see yourself short, Joe.  From what I have heard it seems to me you have a good feel for phrasing and the singing and playing together. 

As for harmonica and playing, I guess it is just lots of practice.  I am always amazed when people like Young, Springsteen and Dylan do their solo performances pulling that off.  For now just playing is hard enough when it gets beyond the basic camp-fire level of songs, where I am.

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 03:24:42 am »
Boy, as usual life got in the way for a month/ month and a half, and it took me forever to get through grade two.  I'm finally onto practicing the new grade three with the "dreaded F".  All those years ago, I was learning on a Sigma 12 string and the best I could ever muster was the cheat F.  Now that I have the Grestch I was happy that I could make all the strings ring out on the first attempt.  So my glutton for punishment practice routine will be to keep working at the F on the 'ole 12 string and then strum it a few times on the Gretsch afterwards as a morale booster. 

Now that I'm back at it, I continue to practice along with NITSUJ which seems a good route to go, a difference being the song selections.  For a good F practice, I started today working on Johnny Cash's "Hurt".  I'm somewhat confident that if I give it a proper go every night for a week or two I'll have it down.  I was able to do the open C Maj scale at 120 BPM so I am moving up the fretboard and starting on the sixth string C and sorting it out myself without any cheats so I better learn the fret board and scales in different positions. 

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 09:12:23 am »
Life's like that Joe. Sounds like you are back in the groove again and I look forward to your rendition of Hurt.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 06:24:21 am »
Hi Joe, I watched a few of your vids and your doing great. I can tell you have some previous experience playing. 
Welcome again to the forum and I hope you continue to record and share your music.  Love that big ole gretsch.

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 07:17:11 pm »
Thanks gang.  I'm hoping within a week or so I'll feel comfortable enough to toss up a video of "Hurt".
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 03:27:28 am »
Well, got a bit over an hour of practice in today.  I followed NITSUJ's lessons 9.4, accidentally skipped over 9.5 and followed 9.6.  I'm gonna get Popeye arms on my left forearm from practicing the F chord on the 12 string.  Still can't get the B or high E to ring out and don't really expect success for a few weeks or longer.  I go back to the Gretsch afterwards as a morale booster since I can get a good sound on all strings out of it.  At the pace I'm going, i think it's going to be at least a week or three before I'm comfortable enough to record Hurt.  While I can play the full F I'm, not surprisingly, struggling with the change to F.  I'll get there - just need to keep with it.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 07:31:09 am »
I'm with you Joe ... keep going, the joy and satisfaction of accomplishment is just down the road, round the next bend or two ...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App