Author Topic: Medieval Lover  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Medieval Lover
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:52:11 pm »
New track, have a listen, see what you think :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-672423953/medieval-lover

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Medieval Lover
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 03:58:47 pm »
Pretty cool, Woodwych.  Got that medieval sound and vibe down.

But firstly, welcome to the Justin Guitar Community. 

I liked the arrangement, the strings and percussion.  The less medieval leads also blended in well.

Area I think that needs some work is in the mix, specifically the vocal.  For me I experienced it to be a little buried in the mix.  Granted I am not listening on good quality headphones, which doesn't help.  I think the vocal is a little low and also contending with the strings.

It felt a little long but it is possible that if the vocals came forward that would help keep things moving along and change that feeling.

This being the Critique Board, I hope that is helpful feedback.

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:14:23 pm »
Thanks for the welcome  :) I agree on the mix, done by my brother in law, not as good as wandering man. Getting him to upload the seps to kompoz and will have a go myself, not that I'm much better at mixing, but ill give it a go. Thanks for the comments, and most helpful music critique.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 07:21:05 am »
Thanks for the welcome  :) I agree on the mix, done by my brother in law, not as good as wandering man. Getting him to upload the seps to kompoz and will have a go myself, not that I'm much better at mixing, but ill give it a go. Thanks for the comments, and most helpful music critique.

My pleasure.  And as one of the guys I've followed and learned from says "the only way to get better at mixing is to mix more songs"

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:09 pm »
added bass, still needs a decent mix though.

https://soundcloud.com/user-672423953/medieval-lover-1

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:47:31 pm »

A friend mixed this one, have a listen and see what you think.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 148
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 02:40:05 am »
Welcome woodwych  :)  Very nice sounds here. What are you using for drums? Are they live or a plug-in? I love them.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:26:29 am »
Welcome aboard! I've listened to a few of the different iterations, so I have to ask what you hope to achieve with this track? I've not really done a deep dive, just causal listening with laptop speakers. Do you have old tracks as well? A little background would help me to understand things a bit better.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 02:36:34 am »
Really liked this. Since you’ve posted it in Critique and not AVOYP I take that to mean you’d like to hear input on the playing or production, so here’s my best input as a newbie to mixing.

The song sounds quite interesting, but to my ear, and listening through not the best speakers, the different parts aren’t getting enough space to themselves. In particular I’d like to hear the solo cut through the mix and really shine. Same for Vocals, they seem a bit buried in the mix. I’ll listen later with headphones and see what impact that might have. For me I’m still trying to figure out the right approach to mixing a track knowing it will sound different depending on the listening platform.
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:56:45 am »
I’ll listen later with headphones and see what impact that might have.

I finally listened on headphones and wow, the sound is awesome. I’d still like to hear the vocals and the solo up a bit, but it really sounds awesome in decent headphones.
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:10:18 am »
Welcome woodwych  :)  Very nice sounds here. What are you using for drums? Are they live or a plug-in? I love them.

For the drums my brother in-law used the plug-in in Garageband on the iPad. I'll pass it on to him that you loved them, that'll make him happy lol.

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:16:20 am »
Welcome aboard! I've listened to a few of the different iterations, so I have to ask what you hope to achieve with this track? I've not really done a deep dive, just causal listening with laptop speakers. Do you have old tracks as well? A little background would help me to understand things a bit better.

Thanks for the welcome. With the latest track my friend did a mix and was hoping it was half decent lol. Have a listen on some decent headphones and see what you think. The old track is here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-672423953/medieval-lover-1

and this is the latest mix.

The only thing I'm not happy about is my brother in-law had to use the built in mic on the iPad to record the acoustic and the vocals, though not bad considering it took some effort to get rid of the hiss. Kinda happy with my lead guitar playing, though I'm always thinking I could have done it another way. But, thats the way it is I suppose.

Thanks for your comments, and all areas of critique are warmly welcome :)

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:01 am »
I finally listened on headphones and wow, the sound is awesome. I’d still like to hear the vocals and the solo up a bit, but it really sounds awesome in decent headphones.

Thanks Emb for saying it sounds awesome, I reckon my friend did a decent mix on it, he'll be happy to hear your comments. I'll try and push him to turn the vocals and solo up a bit :)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 89
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:04 pm »
This sounds great to me. It reminds me a bit of Fairport Convention. I like the vibe of it. The drums are cool. Well played and sung.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Woodwych

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 06:53:39 pm »
This sounds great to me. It reminds me a bit of Fairport Convention. I like the vibe of it. The drums are cool. Well played and sung.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I love Fairport Convention, thanks for the great comment.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App