Author Topic: 2019/20 cover #52 (Blackbird)  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 cover #52 (Blackbird)
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:05:34 pm »
Cover project ends with a Beatles song. I have been working quite a lot with the fingerstyle module lately so I thought I should give Blackbird a try. Still a bit difficult for me, but a decent start and something to work on for the future. Its not up to tempo and some bum notes for sure (so probably not ready to raise the tempo yet).

No singing this time, still to tricky to sing and play this one.

As usual feedback is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3Th2JUOAM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:02:53 am by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019/20 cover #52 (Blackbird)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:29:38 pm »
Firstly, congrats on making your 52 recordings. That shows great discipline and persistence. I reckon that boils down to averaging a recording every 9 days.

Truely an inspiration to all, showing what can be achieved if you put your mind to it.

And what a performance to carry you over this particular finishing line. I think it is a little understated to declare that to be a decent start. A few rough spots but already sounding fluent and at a tempo that somebody like myself who is not a big Beatles fan wouldn't consider to be slowed down so you can manage it.

Or maybe I'm getting carried away considering this from where I sit, not even going to dare to try that.

Once again, take a bow and enjoy the moment,  you've earned it and deserve every accolade that will surely come you way.

Take care.

Offline DUrquhart

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:01:59 pm »
Well done mate.

That sounded great, I was expecting an Oasis song for number 52 but I suppose the Beatles are the next best thing.

Excellent effort all in.  It's been really noticeable how much you've developed as a guitar player since video #1.

Sent from my J8110 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
Johan.
Mighty huge congratulations for making it to #52.
You have completed a Herculaean task and done so with increasing aplomb.
For your first steps along finger style playing this is a good effort indeed.
It is far from an easy song to play without flubs.
Bravo.
What an inspiration to so many.
:)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:12:23 am »
Johan, You are truly an inspiration to all.   Congratulations!!  And what a way to end your personal challenge!!!  Loved every note of it.  And good vibes to you, sir. 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:41 am »
Great one to finish on Johan, yes it needs a bit of work but nothing major, you captured the essence of it and that’s what really matters! Congratulations for reaching the end of your goal! So what’s your next goal?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:52:33 am »
Well done Johan and congratulations on completing you're personal challenge. That is a really great achievement! A very nice song to finish on as well.

Now what is the next one going to be?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 04:47:33 pm »
... and relax!

Congrats again, Johan.
You are the dude.
Nice smooth way to finish the marathon in style  8)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 04:52:07 pm »
Thanks David, Durquhart, Richard, Dave, Darrell, Rossco and Brian! It has been a long and fun journey which now has come to an end. I am really happy I managed to hold out until the end. I have learned a lot. And its pretty cool to have these 52 videos to look back at. I am not proud of all them, but they are a real good source for seeing my progress as a guitar player.

I have collected my prize for the Milestone Award and had the lesson with Justin last week. The main message from Justin was to start playing with others and for others. He wanted me to build a setlist for a future live performance. He said focus on 5-10 songs and try to really connect to those songs. Analyse the lyrics and think about what they means for you. Really perform the song instead of just playing it through. Easier said than done maybe, but really a good advice.

So I will do that. I'm gonna start with a small set of 3-5 songs and the next goal is to make some kind of live performance on youtube (also a recommendation from Justin) in a couple of months. I see this live YT performance as practice for a live performance for real people.If you have suggestions on which of the 52 songs I'm gonna pick for my smaller setlist, please let me know.

I'm also gonna buy a better mic and start experimenting with making better recordings. I will post some covers on AVOYP also in the future, but not as often as before (I promise).

Big thanks to all of you who have followed the project and commented on my videos. And a special thanks to David P who have listened and commented to all of the 52 videos!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 01:25:52 am »
Standing here at the finishing line yelling and clapping and smiling Johan. What a great way to wrap up your 52 covers commitment. I hope you are very, very proud of yourself. I can see so much growth in you. Well done. As you smiled at the end I cheered.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 08:29:28 am »
Thanks for sharing the tips from Justin, Johan.  Sure you'll have a lot of fun developing the setlist and learning more about recording.

And it was my pleasure to share your experience, see the progress and enjoy the music.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 09:18:45 am »
It's great to get those useful pointers from Justin in your Skype lesson.
... the next goal is to make some kind of live performance on youtube... as practice for a live performance for real people.

A great idea. Check out what Len Aloise did here

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:32 pm »
Well done Johan. This is a must learn song - that I've forgotten, I'll have to dust it off.

Thought you managed it very well. I'd like to hear you sing it as well in the future. Maybe you next challenge. Well done on finishing the marathon and great work from you David P for supporting him the whole way. You're both the man.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 11:50:58 pm »
Way to go, Johan!  A heartfelt congratulations. I truly am happy for your accomplishment. At the end, my eyes glassed over a little. On your set list, I think you should choose the ones that speak to you the most. The ones that fit your vocal range, the ones that you can flow with. Maybe even one or two that were a little more challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 12:06:59 am »
Wow that was really good Johan, what a finish! Big congrats to you on your dedication and perseverance, I bet you can really see the difference that makes in a year, because look what you can play! Keep playing and keep having fun. Good vibes to you 😃
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 09:04:30 am »
Thanks Maggie, Gareth, Pam and Mari, all four of you have followed my project and given valuable feedback and given me motivation to keep going.

Gareth: Yeah I think I gonna post this one with vocals a little later on. Just need more time to make the playing more solid, before I can sing it also. I know I can play it better than in this performance. Its really a fun one to play and sing. Vocals a bit tricky though. And you should give it a shot, looking forward to that!

Maggie: Thanks for the cheer! And yes I am proud of this achievment.

Pam: Thanks for the advice on the setlist. I really wanna do "Dont Look Back In Anger" though, but its out of my vocal range in original key. Need to experiment with the capo there.

Mari: Thanks for the good vibes, I will keep playing and have fun for sure.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App