Author Topic: songs listed in terms of difficulty of strumming  (Read 1306 times)

Offline jusjamroc

• Good Vibes 0
songs listed in terms of difficulty of strumming
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:07:01 pm »
Hello
Please let me first say please do not think i am being unappreciative, as i think your guitar tutoring is excellent, and i love your attitude towards making lessons affordable and accessible to all, while also allowing people to contribute. Cool attitude in this day and age of greedy selfish sadism.

anyway
here is just one suggestion, and i guess it is hard for you to get to everything, especially as your constantly evolving and adding.

but here is the suggestion anyway, that perhaps may be included in the beginner course, to help beginners progressively get better.

So here goes.

After viewing several of your lessons on songs, which were all categorised as white belt level
i realised that not all white belt lessons were equal to the complete beginner in that
some contained more chord changes that others and the strumming pattern is more sophisticated in some that others.

Two examples here, are brown eyed girl and cherry cherry.
Both containing the same chords, and white belt easy level
however i would say that if the beginner was not very practised at strumming
then Cherry Cherry's strumming pattern and off beat chord change would likely pose more of a challenge to most due to it being more complex that the strumming pattern found in brown eyed girl.

I was thinking that perhaps it would be an idea at some point to put all the white belt songs onto a spread sheet and include each of their chord progressions and strumming patterns

and then use the spread sheet to order the songs in terms of difficulty, not only in terms of how many and which chords are to be played but also the strumming patterns.

Doing so would likely help a lot of beginners by giving them a progressive path to master the core skills,
which once mastered, can then be used in the more advanced lessons.

Just out of interest, I also have a copy of your Strumming vol 1 DVD
and think it is also very good and well presented.

Perhaps this DVD could also include songs that can be used with each strumming pattern taught
which would make the strumming dvd more interesting and more likely to help people engage and escalate their level. Help people achieve their goals quicker!

Hope that helps
cheers
jus

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
Re: songs listed in terms of difficulty of strumming
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »
Four downstrums to the bar is all a beginner needs to do. Or was, I don't know if it's changed in the new BC.

You can include the fancy stuff as you become more proficient.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jusjamroc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:00:26 am »
Hello
I brought the first DVD on strumming

I also have watched a number of your song tutorials and note you have graded the songs with colours (like martial art). Which is a great way to help.

Although i was wondering if there was a way to add an extra code to the songs, that would give your students an indication as to how hard the strumming pattern is on the song, and perhaps even a code that indicates which order to learn the songs in, in terms of escalating level of skill in strumming patterns.

Hope this post isn't in the wrong place. I also added a similar post in the Song forum, but i think that got deleted or moved. Not sure why, as think the question / suggestion is legitimate and doesn't breach the rules of the forum.

Otherwise thanks

Offline jusjamroc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:06:00 am »
Hello, thanks for the advice.
Although i am a beginner guitar student with a bit of a difference.

I have played bass guitar for years, so already have a fair amount of skill with regards to playing
melodic motif's/riffs, and have a fair amount of strength in my fingers.

I can also play a fair amount of chords. But now have identified that the area that i need to
develop skill in is my strumming.

So, i figure, that this is an area to spend the most time working on, ideally while learning a number of songs.

Also, being a studio boffin, i am keen to get the skill and if there is a route that can escalate my skill level quicker, then i don't see any reason why not to pursue it or if necessary develop it.

Thanks for your advice otherwise.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:48:15 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Your other post is still active and has been replied to by another member.

To try and answer your question I need to know how long you have been playing
what stage you are at and why you have such an obsession with strumming
patterns?

First off if you haven't been playing very long you should be doing all down strums
and trying to keep time with what ever your playing.

Second if you are past the stage of all down strumming in time with what your
playing you should be slowly adding up strums.

Thirdly if your passed that stage you wouldn't be asking these questions about
strumming patterns you should be hearing them and be able to start to add them
to your playing.

I have a feeling you are at the first stage and want to be at the third stage.
If you can't play a song with all down strums in time with the music you
will never get to the point of playing it with the proper pattern.
Don't take this the wrong way but without knowing how far along you are
there is really no way to really help you with your strumming problem.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:06:34 am »
I responded to your other post before I seen this one so most of what I asked
you have answered.

Seeing you are a bass player you should all ready have a solid sense of rhythm.
You should also know how to get into the groove of a song.
With that sense of rhythm you should also know there are three stages of learning
a song.
1 simple or easy version. Getting up to tempo
2 getting into the groove. Feeling the rhythm
3 rocking it out playing at full tempo. Making it your own

Seeing how strumming isn't much different than playing bass (keeping rhythm)
You should be catching on fairly quickly.

Offline jusjamroc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:39:41 pm »
Hello
Thanks for replying although i think you have misunderstood my suggestion.
I am not asking for advice in terms of what strumming pattern to use.

I came onto the board to give a suggestion with regards to how help improve the way that some of the song / lessons are organised.

The suggestion is really aimed at Justin Sandercoe personally, and is designed to help rather than hinder.

The suggestion was to order some of his beginner course content and songs, not only in terms of how many chords but also in terms of strumming patterns.

As i think that it would be possible to put together a series of songs from those that he teaches on this site, in an order that songs escalate in complexity not only in terms of how many chords or how hard the chords are being played, but also in terms of how complex the strumming patterns are.

Perhaps even having two codes, one that describes the hardness of the song in terms of the chords, but also another in terms of complexity in terms of the strumming patterns.

You see, i believe that would help some to get better quicker. not only myself but others.
Part of my background is also teaching martial arts, and i know from speaking with people who put together certain martial art systems, that this i one of the main considerations when structuring a syllabus.

Martial arts not that different to music, as body moves in time.
Nonetheless, in martial arts terms, people are not taught the techniques that have complex timing at the same time as the techniques that do not have complex timing regardless as to what techniques are used.

Both are considered. Not only the technique or how many techniques (or chords) but how complex the timing is.

Hope that analogy makes sense.
Nonetheless i am not hear to argue with you, i am here to GIVE HELPFUL SUGGESTION
If you want
delete all that i have written

give all the credit to my cyberstalker Warren
who doesn't have a degree in sound engineering
nor any belts in martial arts
just a cyberstalker #

Get The Forum As A Mobile App