Author Topic: 120 bpm with 16th notes  (Read 284 times)

Offline bluecheese

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
120 bpm with 16th notes
« on: March 17, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »
Justin says that 120 bpm with 16th notes is a good target speed.  This equates to 480bpm/single notes if I'm not wrong?

I'm not slow and I'm now at a pretty consistent 90bpm with 16ths but the target of 120 seems a long way away.

Just out of interest, how many of you folks can achieve that speed?

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: 120 bpm with 16th notes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 12:12:35 pm »
I think 120bmp 16th notes is hard, I doubt that many around here take it to that level.

Also I think this is among some of the older Justin material by now? I hate to criticize, but I think it's a bit of  an old fashioned way of thinking / approaching technique. These days a new "school of thinking" focuses more on practicing bursts of speed rather than going for this endless stream of fast notes up and down the scale. If you think about it, the end result itself - playing fast up and down through every note in the scale - is completely useless. You would never want to do that in real music. And technique practice has a lot to do with programming your fingers to do certain movements on auto-pilot.

Therefore it's more relevant to look at if you can play burst of fast notes that form actual licks or patterns you want to use in solos.

And even further - these shapes that Justin teaches for the major scale patterns are really hard to play, they switch between 2 and 3 notes per string.. causing string changes to be as complicated and unpredictable as you can make them.

You can be a technically achieved player, perhaps able to shred cool licks at 160bmp 16th notes, and still struggle with this exercise.

In my opinion you should study these major scale patterns until you know them well and can navigate through them... but it's unnecessary to focus on so much speed... IMHO.

Kasper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
Re: 120 bpm with 16th notes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:40:07 pm »
I'm tempted to agree. I think rapid runs, in practice, tend to be using 3NPS scales and legato techniques. In this regard Justin's more recent 3NPS lessons are probably more useful.

I do see value in going up and down the scales, but not necessary to 120 bpm 16th notes. I actually think building speed on things like groups of 3 or 4, or alternate notes is possibly more useful.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App