Author Topic: 2019/20 cover #51 (Mmm mmm mmm)  (Read 837 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 cover #51 (Mmm mmm mmm)
« on: March 13, 2020, 08:34:45 pm »
Time for some fingerstyle. Inspired by Justins great lesson but simplified, some chords in it that I can't do yet. The F with the thumb over the top is something for the advanced players with big hands maybe?

This song is quite often included in "Worst song ever" lists. But it's a great song from the Canadian band Crash Test Dummies. Released in early 90's. As Justin said in his lesson, I remember this one real well, it was really popular in Sweden.

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 2019/20 cover #51 (Mmm mmm mmm)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 08:46:15 pm »
I have always liked this song. It's quirky and not your everyday pop song. Another fine effort and the incorporation of several layers of difficulty - finger-picking, barre chords, all over the almost spoken vocal shows great concentration and progress. First listen only - but I reckon at a quick run through you seem to have a consistent tempo too.
:)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:33 am »
You are impressive Johan!  Smooth barre chords, steady picking and a delivery that is convincing. Your progress is exciting and inspiring.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 07:28:03 am »
Superb performance, Johan.  Picking was strong and steady, smooth chord changes, steady tempo and as always you manage to phrase the vocals well and remember all those lyrics.

Did you have a metronome or drum beat going in the background or a some kind of stomp box?   

Take a bow.

And next is the ceremonially signifcant #52 ... can't wait to see what song you choose for this landmark moment.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 04:00:58 pm »
Always loved this song.  Everyone can relate somehow to it.

Good job, thanks for sharing.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:47 am »
Thanks Richard, Maggie, David and Endureth.

David: No metronome, I guess its my foot stamping the carpet you are hearing.

Richard: Yeah this one tests both fingerpicking and bar chords. Pretty tricky, but the tempo of the song is quite slow and you can use the open D string to release the chord early and make more time for the difficult changes.

I think this one turned out good, the sound from the guitar is really nice. In many of my strummed videos I dont like the sound from the guitar. Not sure why, I think its a combination of playing technique and recording (equipment, room, mic placement etc). After I have finished this project I am gonna devote more time to experiment more with recording, and I plan to buy some better recording equipment.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App