Author Topic: Open Mic March 2020  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
Open Mic March 2020
« on: March 10, 2020, 11:20:24 pm »
Evening all

No video to share I'm afraid but I thought I'd share my night with you. There is a photo but the app won't let me upload I'll put it up later.

The set list was. From me too you by the Beatles, Between the devil and the deep blue sea by George Harrison (or covered by him) and have you ever seen the rain by CCR.

For the first time there were no mistakes, no forgotten lyrics or wrong chords. Which I pretty chuffed with.

Got there early this month as last month I couldn't get on. Put my name in the third slot but got bumped to 4th. I was a bit nervous this time and went on after a guy called Trevor who absolutely nailed it which didn't help.

First song was ok. I try to play something easy and up tempo to try and get settled. Second one was a bit limp. I don't think it was a good song choice and I couldve given it more welly. Third one was again okay.

What I'm really learning with this is that if you're not sure, not 100% confident and don't look like you're enjoying it, then it falls a bit flat as people are uncertain. Whilst I made no mistakes tonight I went down better in December when I screwed up loads because in December I committed and I enjoyed it.

So I'll take the positives from tonight and next month I'm going to go crazy.

G

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
Re: Open Mic March 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 03:11:37 am »
That's a great write up Gareth. You sound so much stronger. I get the impression you owned the stage and you owned your performance this time. You're right about an audience reacting to whatever you put out, so fake it till you make it, not that you faked this one.

Well done!
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:51:02 am »
Another live performance chalked up Gareth. Bravo. Each one will be different, the vibe, the energy, the reaction, the performance, the flub count etc. Starting off with an upbeat strummer is a good idea. It is your warm up as you are generally just straight on and playing once your turn comes around. :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 08:45:15 am »
Bravo, Gareth. 

Delighted to hear you overcame some of those nerves you were re-picking up after there being a longer period between sessions.  Sounds like a set that went well.  For sure there'll always be some learning as to what works well, but I think every time you do it contributes to building confidence and ability. 

Thanks for taking time out to share your experience, even though there was no video.  I, and sure I speak for the rest, appreciate the updates, so we can celebrate and cheer you on. 

So rock on !!

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:49:05 pm »
Okay so I don't know how to insert pics never mind.

Thanks for reading guys I'll try and get a video next month, it just a bit awkward asking people to film you. Maggie you're very encouraging, I guess I am slowly getting stronger. I'm sure it's all about experience. I was watching one guy last night who I thought was very good and the guy next to me said "you can tell he's been before". He didn't say "he's a great player" or "what a great voice", and I knew what he meant the guy was just very comfortable and so he was able to perform. I think someone would still look at me and say "he's fairly new to this" and the only way to past that is to keep going.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 01:14:15 pm »
Good for you Garfield!  You’ll get better each time!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 09:04:40 pm »
What I'm really learning with this is that if you're not sure, not 100% confident and don't look like you're enjoying it, then it falls a bit flat as people are uncertain. Whilst I made no mistakes tonight I went down better in December when I screwed up loads because in December I committed and I enjoyed it.

So I'll take the positives from tonight and next month I'm going to go crazy.

That sounds like a good learning bit re the confidence. And I love the plan to go crazy! I'll be hoping you find someone to record the next one. I guess you'll be having some extra practice time at home though, but home is a good place to go crazy :)
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 09:27:42 pm »
Thanks Mari
I'm hoping to get back soon but let's be serious it's not going to happen. Looks like I'll have to inflict it on you guys instead.
Hope you're holed up safe
G

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 03:45:11 pm »
Getting up and doing is the big thing no matter how it goes...even the best are going to have good, not so good and better times. Sounds like you did fine and undoubtedly taking away things to change/improve on next time. Really good to see so many performing and encouraging others to do the same. Well done and let's hope we can start getting out and doing it again before the end of this year.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 05:38:52 am »
Thanks Mari
I'm hoping to get back soon but let's be serious it's not going to happen. Looks like I'll have to inflict it on you guys instead.
Hope you're holed up safe
G

Bring it on, Gareth ... keenly awaiting some infliction from you !!

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:59 am »
Looking forward to seeing you open mic--performed for us. We're here when you're ready.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App