Author Topic: Endureth - Band Road Case - My band's crusade to Daytona 2021.  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
I figured a thread about a band's learning progress might be cool.  My band's name is Kyllswitch and we are setting a goal to tour Florida next year as a Judas Priest tribute band, playing all the biggest festivals we can find.  The drummer's got the connections, the guitarist has the gear.  They've been friends from grade school and I'm the bassist along for the ride.

This year we'll be playing Laconia, New Hampshire and all the biker bars we can find with any local festivals we can get into as warm up for Daytona, Florida where the competition and talent is in abundance.   

I'm going to update the thread each practice with either good or bad takes and maybe some funny moments or learning moments or discussions that happen about how the show will be choreographed, lighting, whatever someone happens to capture on camera.

Tonight at practice we took the 5 songs we thought we needed the most work on and just played them about an hour each.  This is take 5 of "Freewheel Burning" by Judas Priest.  It's been a hard one. 

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoy it and hope there's an interest in this!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:08:09 pm by Endureth »

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Endureth - Band Road Case - My band's crusade to Daytona 2021.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:52:40 am »
Hey,
Not bad if this is one of your "worst" songs! Gosh that looks like a nice place to practice until the amps get turned up! It sounded pretty good, so I imagine they were cranked up?

Is there any movement on the 2nd guitar player?

Sure, I know on this end it will be great to follow you and your bands experience and growth!

All the rocking best!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 09:47:23 am »
It's fantastic that you're rocking n rolling n raring to go with a huge goal to work towards.

Do you want me to move this to Road Cases?

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:29:17 pm »
Do you want me to move this to Road Cases?

If that's a more appropriate place for it, sure!  You're the boss.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:25:32 pm »
You're the boss.

Who Boss? Me Boss?

No - I'm just the mild-mannered Janitor.

;)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:13:52 am »
Love this thread Endureth. Yes please, regular updates, videos. This is so exciting. Congrats.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
Sounding and looking great Endureth.

Wish you every success in achieving that goal, a real BHAG.  Keep those updates coming.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 02:44:30 pm »
I'm just the mild-mannered Janitor.

A mild-mannered janitor with authority.

Like the genie.  Phenomenal cosmic power; itty-bitty living space.

Moving it would probably be best, thanks!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 06:56:12 pm »
Endureth

I'll take an hour of that any day of the week. Nice set up and sounded greeeet.
Good luck with the tour and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 08:05:32 pm »
A mild-mannered janitor with authority.

Like the genie.  Phenomenal cosmic power; itty-bitty living space.
Moving it would probably be best, thanks!
:)

Ha ha. I was actually thinking of this ...

And listening to it as I type ... mmmh ... some tasty little bass licks for you to steal!

ps
moved

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
Guitarist audition.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:17 am »
So there's good things, like this take of "Locked In".  We still need to come up with a proper way to end this song.

We tried out a second guitarist tonight, he's on the left.  He was admittedly rusty but friendly and will be back next week.

I overplayed.

Then there's other things like this take of "Nightcrawler", which considering we only decided to add it to the set last week and two of use learned it in that time, it came out okay.  Big hiccup in the middle but we managed to get back on track and then not know how to end it so the drummer decided to do it with flare.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:49:49 am by Endureth »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:11 am »
It's shaping up. Fingers crossed that 2nd guitarist comes good and fits in.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:12 am »
Shaking with Rage we were at tonight's practice:

But there are also the fun moments that happen after a take too many, lol.  This some might consider foul language, but just friendly banter within our environment:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:28:05 am by Endureth »

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:26 pm »
This is what I've got going up there. 

Basses:
Washburn Taurus T-25 (Passive)
Ibanez SR Standard 5-String (Active)
Gene Simmons Axe

Rackmount:
Samson Synth 7 Guitar Professional UHF Wireless System
2x Marshall Heads Model 3540 400 Watt

Speakers:
4x Marshall Bass Cabinets

Pedalboard:
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR M-87 Bass Compressor
MXR M-80 Bass DI+
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi Fuzz
Morley Power Wah Volume
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 06:26:49 am »
Always a little amazed by how much gear goes into producing the sound, Endureth.

And if it is not the same settings for every song then keeping it all in order throughout the set and reproducing a consistent sound from gig to gig must take some attention.

And then there's swapping basses between songs. 

Enjoyed watching you guys rehearse. I suppose things will now be on hold while the pandemic runs its course.

Take care

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 01:01:01 am »
Got all my flat patch cables in and got the pedal board operational.  I always had problems and finally nailed the issue down to a bad cable.  I replaced them all with some of the new Ernie Ball flats cables.  I like them so far.

As a bassist I don't need a lot of pedals.  I rarely interact with them live.  I turn the muff on and off during parts of "Victim of Changes" and "The Rage" and the tuner every 3-4 songs if I remember.  Luckily my bass stays in tune really well.

The delay isn't used for the delay, it's just used to split the signal to two separate amplifier stacks.  I might mess with actually setting up a slight delay later.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:23:21 am by Endureth »

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 03:30:36 am »
Night Crawler

That's the name we're going with for our Judas Priest tribute band.  We came to the conclusion that the band name should reflect Judas Priest somehow so people seeing the name on a playbill could recognize that we had something to do with them.  So we've changed the name to Night Crawler, a Judas Priest song title, and are re-designing the logo with a Judas Priest font and something vampirish (cause the song's about Vampires.  Yada yada.

Either way.

Here's a rough draft of our name-sake song.  We have decided to go with this guitarist you see on the left, his name is Bob and he's a huge Priest/Maiden fan.

Enjoy

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 05:59:26 am »
Thanks for the update, Endureth.

Enjoy my regular dose of .... hmmm. heavy metal, even though it is not really my thing? I'm not that clued up on the genres and sub-genres of music. Coincidentally I've started reading "Escape From the Delta", the book I discovered reading posts about Robert Johnson here, and he considered genres to primarily be the means by which the marketing folk ensure we find the music we are looking for in the record store.

This not being music I listen to much, now or back then, I am not tuned into the fine subleties, and Breaking the Law being the only song I would instantly know to be Judas Priest, I would say this sounds like Iron Maiden.  Makes it seem like a good call on the second guitarist if he is a huge Priest/Maiden fan.

Apart from the music sounding fantastic, your vocalist really does sound and look the part.  I'd love to see you all perform in a full dress rehearsal with all the theatre turned up as if it were the live show.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 06:05:31 am »
Thanks for the update and song. Sounds like you have a good namesake song and band name. Your new guitarist would seem to be fitting in ok. Look out for the wad of spaghetti strings at the headstock though. Keep on a rockin and be sure to update us as you go.
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 08:58:01 am »
Keep the updates coming ... glad you have got sorted with the 5th member and a name ... be good to see the graphic art of your name when it is done.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 08:11:52 pm »
Coincidentally I've started reading "Escape From the Delta", the book I discovered reading posts about Robert Johnson here, and he considered genres to primarily be the means by which the marketing folk ensure we find the music we are looking for in the record store.

Music is subjective.  Meaning, it's all in the ear of the beholder.  I'm never offended if people don't particularly like what I'm playing.  My own father hates it all, lol.  But he's an opera guy.  He could listen to Phantom of the Opera all day and that's cool.  That fact, music being subjective, is why it appeals to me.

I did an experiment once where I tried to write bass lines for as many different genres as I could in an attempt to understand music better as a whole.  I wrote a 60's-ish early rock hippy-type song called "Same Old Road", wrote a bassline for one of Digger's (from these forums) song's that had a very disco vibe.  A couple punk rock songs with Digger as well.  Then on my youtube channel I've done covers of country (Dolly Parton) and songs from the Mama Mia soundtrack.  I was in a 80's-90's dance hits cover band for a year.  The guitarist and I from that band went on to do the Judas Priest thing.

I once thought as you do.  That those other types of music weren't my thing.  But once I delved into those bass lines all the genres kinda connected for me and even if I didn't like them, I could appreciate them somehow.  Heck, I even found the EXACT same bass lick in a Judas Priest and a Journey song.  So I'm glad I stretched my learning.  Currently I'm watching Phil Collins's bassist, Lee Sklar's live shows on youtube during the lockdown where he covers one of his own songs each day and talks about the process of writing the song or current events.

Thanks for the update and song. Sounds like you have a good namesake song and band name. Your new guitarist would seem to be fitting in ok. Look out for the wad of spaghetti strings at the headstock though. Keep on a rockin and be sure to update us as you go.

Yeah right, those string ends are vicious!  Especially considering I'm blind in my right eye and can't see out that side!  We're still keeping the Kyllswitch name for our originals project that I guess we're starting soon.  I don't know how that's gonna work.

Keep the updates coming ... glad you have got sorted with the 5th member and a name ... be good to see the graphic art of your name when it is done.

Here's a rough, rough draft I was sent this morning.  Basically a cut/paste job just to get the general idea down.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out mah road case!  To think, I came here a complete noob.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 07:25:57 am »
Thanks for sharing more of your thoughts, Endureth.

I have enjoyed all your bass playing, irrespective of genre. As for Priest and Maiden, I can certainly appreciate it and enjoy it in limited doses.

You mention you came to the Community as a noob ... would love to hear a little more of the backstory and journey to where you are now.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 05:07:45 am »
Quarantine.  Ugh.  But around here in New England they say limit gatherings to no more than ten so while now one can go to work, work, we can still practice.

Lost the other guitarist.  I'm not sure why or who's decision it was.  After three practices with him using three different amps and him complaining how his tone was off the whole time while there were other issues (like knowing the songs besides just the solos).  So I dunno.  The hunt remains.

Here was our first time making it through this one at tonight's rehearsal.  The drummer remembered the solo parts!

I'm having so much fun, fun!  Ordered some in ear monitors to go with the already existing Shure IEM system which has two channels.  So with the ear buds I can have a different mix in each ear.  Like vocals and drums in the left and guitar and drums in the right or something.  Looking forward to experimenting with that.  I always have a hard time hearing the guitarist.

Peace!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 07:47:59 am »
Lost the other guitarist.

...  After three practices with him using three different amps and him complaining how his tone was off the whole time ...
Oh dear.
Not the way to ingratiate yourself or fit in to an existing band.

...  there were other issues (like knowing the songs ...

Oh dear again.
Definitely not acceptable.
How many times have there been forum conversations about the need to learn songs, know how to play rhythm, that lead soloing is the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

Fun Fun Fun sounds good good good.
:)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 05:57:24 am »
The COVID is still keeping us from really playing out but not practicing.  At least we're getting better.  I bought a new Shure MV+88 Video Kit for hopefully improved sound.  Still learning the settings and positioning etc.  Also, my background vocals are getting better so I'm pretty proud of that.

This is from tonight's practice, enjoy:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:57:53 pm by Endureth »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App